It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:22 am

Free Newsletter

Tyger's Tales (Progress, Weigh-ins & Food Diary)

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Tyger's Tales (Progress, Weigh-ins & Food Diary)

Postby Tyger » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:19 pm

Hi fellow forum-lurkers!

So I've decided to consolidate my posts into this blog/thread.

From now on, here is the place where I will post my Weekly Weigh In progress, my Food Diary (which I don't update daily anyway, to save people the tedium of it), and general tit-bits of how I'm feeling and what I'm observing. I don't mind writing so you'll probably find all sorts of random chronicles in here.

I welcome any and all feedback and wish you all every success with your shrinking endeavors 8)

It's late now, but tomorrow I'll post my journey so far, and some things that I've learnt along the way.

~ Tyger.
Tyger

Re: Tyger's Tales (Progress, Weigh-ins & Food Diary)

Postby Tyger » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:32 pm

I guess I should open with a few stats:

Height: 177cm
Starting weight: 80.5kg
Current weight: 77.7kg
Goal weight: 72kg
Ultimate goal weight: 70kg
My weight when I was super lean/sexy: 68kg

My shrinking journey began, officially, one month ago. This is not the start of my weightloss endeavours though – oh no. I have tried and failed countless times, to the point where I just began to honestly believe that I was incapable of losing weight, and that was that.

The weight came on slowly. I think over the course of about 2 years, the weight just crept on bit by agonizing bit, until hey presto! 10kg heavier than I used to be, with wobbly thighs and a thick waist to boot. My size 11 jeans would just hang in my closet and mock me, and I’d avoid their judgmental gaze every time I’d grab a pair of leggings or a loose skirt to sling around me instead. I think half the shock was that I couldn’t justify how I’d put on weight – I never saw myself as one of those people. Well, none of us are immune! I think a few too many late night treats and large serves of pasta over the years, just slowly overcame my fast metabolism and athletic body, and gave it a bit of an almighty F-YOU!!

My weekly weigh-ins will be on Tuesdays, but a confession – I am a daily weigh-er. I have come to terms with daily fluctuations now, so it is of benefit to me. It is a great motivator, and half the reason I’ve failed in the past I attribute to not having a scale in the house. I think I just assumed scales were a bad obsession, and to just eat right and keep an eye on how my clothes were feeling on my body. Well, that didn’t work! I am notoriously impatient, and this is one of my biggest obstacles. So all that said, you’ll likely here a lot about my daily weight.

A little insight into my approach to weight-loss. I think my success so far is because I don’t see it as a diet any more. Wacky food combinations are just too hard to stick to for me, and I’m a skeptical person. I know low-carb is successful, but this also isn’t for me. My approach has been a life-style change instead. I closely monitor what I eat, with an online site similar to CalorieKing. I am becoming adept at estimating my caloric intake, so one day when I realistically won’t be counting calories online, I will be equipped with the estimating power to know when enough is enough. My goal intake is 1,400 net calories daily, which will reduce a little as I reduce in weight. I eat back my exercise calories. I need the energy – I am not petite, I am athletically built. I love experimenting with different food combinations to get the most bang for calorie. I exercise 4 days a week, mainly martial arts and power-walking at work. I drink lots of green tea.

This morning I was 77.7kg. The lowest I’ve been this week so far is 77.3kg. I always told myself that when I hit the 77’s, I’d finally admit to myself that YES, this IS working!! I’m still dubious, but that’s just me I suppose :P Sometimes, we can be our own worst enemy.
Tyger

Postby miss_viva » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:33 pm

Congratultions on making the 77's! Keep it up, and good luck for your weigh-in on Tuesday :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy8rKpB/]
[/url]

Heaviest Weight: 115kgs
New Starting Weight: 84kgs
Goal Weight: 75kgs
miss_viva

Postby brendan » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:59 pm

Hey Tyger! I love your writing style, and humour .... look forward to future posts! :lol:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4Q56PK/]
[/url]

End of March - 119kg - 118.7 - made it!

End of April - 115kg
End of May - 111kg
End of June - 107kg
End of July - 103kg
End of August - 99kg
End of September - 95kg
End of October - 91kg
End of year - 81kg TARGET WEIGHT - Optimistic
brendan

Postby Tyger » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:32 am

Thanks for the encouragement guys :P I've always gone through life with a good sense of humor, sometimes it's best not to take everything too seriously and just... *gasp*... enjoy. I know, probably the wrong forums to be talking about letting it all hang out and just indulging. Ha. And I'm not one of those weirdo's who uses humor as a defense mechanism either, or as something to hide behind. Sounds like way too much effort. :lol:

So today I was thinking about weight-loss products. I have never been an avid purchaser, thankfully. I'd probably be living off the streets if I had, going by the cost of the average weight loss shake/bar/pill/machine/miscellaneous "Asian-inspired" weed/bean that you put in your ear and miraculously turns you into Jessica Alba. The only one I've tried is a "weight loss coffee" that I received for free, called Green Coffee 800. I vaguely remember some gimmicky report on A Current Affair about it that you can likely find on YouTube. Anyway, I can't work out whether or not this stuff works, and I wish I could say it doesn't - but I have to admit I've noticed a correlation between weight lost on weeks that I do take the brew, and weeks that I take less or none at all. Please somebody tell me I'm dreaming. These gimmicks don't work, right? I don't want to be sucked in to relying on these products!

But my curiously is piqued. Can you guys tell me if there actually ARE any weightloss products that work?? Some people here seem to swear by meal replacement shakes. Thoughts please. Worth a try? Is the loss sustainable without the shakes or does your body become reliant? Or is it all just a bit bunch of bull excrement?
Tyger

Postby brendan » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:59 am

Hi Tyger

I think the shakes do what they are supposed to do - they fill you while providing a swag of nutrients for little calorie intake. I believe that long term heavy use of them has a risk of gall stones so I wouldn't become too reliant on them. I think they suggest replacing 2 or 3 meals a day with shakes in extreme weight loss conditions, but it's not something I could do. I have one maybe every 2nd or 3rd day. I prefer the texture of real food. I haven't tried the bars or soups.
[/url]

End of April - 115kg
End of May - 111kg
End of June - 107kg
End of July - 103kg
End of August - 99kg
End of September - 95kg
End of October - 91kg
brendan

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:56 am

Tyger wrote:"Asian-inspired" weed/bean that you put in your ear and miraculously turns you into Jessica Alba.

Amazing how that happens..... :lol:

I think many of these things would have some minor benefit (well, some of them, maybe not the ear administered beans and weeds). Like Brendan said, some of them are actually designed to be helpful, some will give you a certain nutrient or other that might contribute a teensy weensy bit, but none of them are going to turn you into the incredible Ms Alba overnight. At most they'll just give you a bit of a nudge in the right direction to help along the hard slog you have to do to get the results. I'm betting if you just drank the coffee and did no exercise and ate crap, you wouldn't lose anything.

I personally take kelp powder tablets to boost iodine (to assist thyroid function) and I think it has some effect, but ti's not a miracle pill. If I eat crap I still gain... And yeah, you can spend all your money on these things, but if you don't do the had yards, you'll get sweet FA for your bucks.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Tyger » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:49 am

Thanks for your input guys :P Sounds like meal replacement shakes are generally well-accepted... who would've thought there's something out there actually helpful, and not just trying to beef up a big corporation's bottom line! Haha, there goes skeptical me again. :twisted:

So I've been doing a little light research on shakes. Can you guys recommend any specific brands? Also, where is the best place to buy - online or in store?

I'm liking the idea of making my own shakes aswell. Can you guys recommend a good protein powder that assists in weight-management (I know some are meant for bulking up rather than slimming down). I think after my trip, when I'm back in the New Year, I might invest in a good blender so I can start making my own shakes. I'm pretty light on the protein in my daily diet, and I think the extra dose would do my weight-loss efforts some good. And Butterfly, those kelp-powder tablets sound interesting - will have to look into them too.

On another note, here's a chart of my weight-loss so far to give a vague representation of the natural course of loss. Blue line is daily weight (when I first wake in the morning) and red line is 5-day moving average, which smooths out the natural daily fluctuations. I find an Excel spreadsheet is a great way to monitor progress :wink:

If it's too huge, zoom out on your browser till its viewable :D
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (32.19 KiB) Viewed 2196 times

~Tyger.
Tyger

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:52 pm

Whey powder is pretty much the basis of most protein/diet shakes. It's basically dairy protein. Then they just add whatever flavours and non sugar sweeteners.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Tyger » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:05 am

Cheers for the whey protein tip Butterfly. I will be doing my research and purchasing some protein powder when I return from my trip 8)

So...I've been slack! Not with my diet (luckily!) but with my updates. Time to remedy that. First thing first, my weekly weigh in. So last Tuesday I hopped on my old friend Mr Scale, and he produced a happy 77.5kg. That's 0.8kg down from a week earlier. That's a good pace, as much as I sometimes want to just lose 8kg in a week and be done with it (haha). Oh and just quietly, Mr Scale had an extra special sunrise for me this morning... 76.6kg! I am rapt to have cracked into the 76's, even if just for a day. It's all going in the right direction :D

So, with one week to go until my trip, I've pulled out the big guns. On Monday I made a big batch of vegetable soup, which basically consists of broccoli, zucchini, mushroom, onion, celery, carrot, can of crushed tomatoes... spiced up with chilli powder, veggie stock and some basil. And NO, it doesn't taste like I'm eating liquid cardboard - yay! :o Who would've thought? :lol: I catalogued the ingredients in the calorie site I use, and estimate one serve to be around 150 cal at most. For a BIG serve.

I've actually found that when I eat the soup for dinner, I am under 1000 cal for the day which is too low, so I compensate by adding some canned corn or a bit of plain pasta from my man's dinner to bulk up the calorie count. I'm conscious of my body going into the dreaded starvation mode that people always talk about...although I do feel satiated. I think usually I eat quite high-calorie dinners compared to my other meals, so when I have soup for dinner, I end up with a very low calorie count.

The soup is a god-send for the Christmas parties that are assaulting my dairy all the way up until we leave next week. Alcohol, pizza, pasta, appetizers, desserts... it's attacking from all sides!! :| Without the soup I wouldn't have a hope in hell of keeping my net cals at goal... unless I ran a marathon every night. Anyone have other tips for getting through party season? What alcoholic drinks are best? I have been sticking to white wine, champagne, and the occasional spirit with coke zero.

Less than a week until my trip now! I hope to be well and truly hanging out in the 76's by then. :P I'll update again later with a typical day's food dairy and some other tit-bits.
Tyger

Postby Tyger » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:14 am

You know, sometimes I have to pinch myself. This might sound stupid, but for so long, I just didn't think weightloss really worked. At all. I told myself to just love my body and get over it, sure I was a bit bulkier than when I was my lean 18 year old self, but I'm not fat, and I will never lose so I might as well get used to it. I thought it was all gimmicks, and the only ones that lost and maintained the loss were gym addicts who devoted every morning and evening to training, and I just wasn't prepared to give up the joys in life and my free time to slog away at something I didn't enjoy. Who would've thought that simply by counting what goes in, and being patient, would actually do the trick 100%?! It feels like if we just get the equation right, our bodies will do the rest. What wonderful, finely tuned machines they are :P I feel like I've finally unlocked the secret, and though there are hurdles, and it's a long road, it's also possible, and that is an amazing discovery for me.
Tyger

Postby brendan » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:14 pm

That equation should be made compulsory learning at school - might prevent some of the challenges that we are facing here. :D

Bren'
[/url]

End of April - 115kg
End of May - 111kg
End of June - 107kg
End of July - 103kg
End of August - 99kg
End of September - 95kg
End of October - 91kg
brendan

Postby Tyger » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:21 pm

brendan wrote:That equation should be made compulsory learning at school - might prevent some of the challenges that we are facing here. :D

Bren'

Maybe it's the fault of companies and their aggressive marketing. The weightloss product industry is worth billions. The less informed who have lost faith in the simple "equation" like the idea of something magical, easy and FAST. If they taught us the truth in school, nobody would buy into the gimmicks :wink:
Tyger

Postby Tyger » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:06 pm

Hi everyone. Well, this is my last check-in before I leave for overseas!

So this morning was my Weekly Weigh-in. The verdict?

75.9kg.

That's a loss of 1.6kg in a week! Now of course there is some fluctuation there - I highly doubt I've lost any more than 1kg of actually bodyfat over the week. But I'm still stoked :D Especially considering there were numerous Christmas parties that I had to survive.

My goal was to be under 77kg by the time I went on holiday. I have achieved that goal - may it be the first of many :D

So tonight (well, tomorrow morning at some ungodly hour) I'm off on my 2 week trip :mrgreen: Can't wait for the sun, sand and surf. So this means the end of daily weigh-ins, calorie counting and normal exercise routines. It'll be all different for the next two weeks - there'll be lots of physical activity but also a lot of eating and drinking I presume.

If I can come back the same weight that I am now, or within half a kilo of it, I will be happy. Wish me luck!!

And good luck to you all, I shall write again in 2 weeks!
Tyger

Postby Tyger » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:24 pm

Well I'm back and I'm fat!

Okay... I digress. I'm not fat, that's a bad attitude. To put it plainly, over the course of two weeks I managed to put on 2.5 kg. Now that may not seem like a lot, but seeing as I had only lost 4.5 kg so far, it's actually a lot to me! But I have to say, I'm not feeling too depressed about it. The truth is, now I feel like I know how to do it... And armed with that knowledge, I feel equipped to get back on track again.

The other truth is that I don't altogether regret the 2 kg either. I indulged on my holiday, yes, but that also meant I was able to put food obsessions behind me and leave the calorie counting at home... and that's really what holidays are all about. Right?

My new goal is to be a comfortable 75 kg by the end of Feb. Training sessions don't start again until next week, but I've been making an effort to go for my walk at lunchtime 3 km around the block from work. Any little bit helps. I'm calorie counting again, and trying to stay around 1400 cal. Right now I weigh 78 kg.

It's going to be hard getting back on track - I've been lazy with my counting since I've been back (a little over a week now). But today's Monday, and a lot of new resolutions start on Mondays don't they! Wish me luck guys :mrgreen:

P.S. On a side note, I've also completely given up smoking this year. I wasn't a heavy smoker - just a social smoker. Around a pack of 20s over the course of a week, so that's about 3 cigarettes daily. I decided enough was enough! I never take it seriously because I never feel "addicted", but after not smoking at all on my holiday for 2 weeks, I came back and just decided to boycott this stupid habit. Apart from the occasional boredom suck of a Nicorette Inhaler that I have handy from a friend, I haven't had any worries so far. So here's to a healthier, skinnier 2011!

Hope you are all well and on track with your goals.
Tyger

Next

Return to Personal Progress