It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:37 pm

Free Newsletter

Andrew's Journal

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Andrew's Journal

Postby Xaniet » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:16 am

Hi all,

To read a bit about me here is my intro thread! http://www.weightloss.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25980

Basically I'm down to 106.7kgs from 124, and want to start getting into some excercise programs to really get things moving, and get the body I want. I was previously doing weightwatchers but have stopped, it is fantastic and has really taught me how to just eat healthy on a day to day basis while still feeling totally satisfied, a lot of it is just habit now. Oh and yeah, it turns out I LOVE muesli, the ultimate food for me (If I have muesli in the morning I can eat a lot less during the day and still not feel hungry).

I have done a fair bit of reading on training programs but still know bugger all! All advice, help, motivation and criticisms will be very much appreciated. I am not after fast results, I'm after safe, steady ones. I am still very big so am leaving jogging out of it for now, I have started swimming three days per week (I used to be a swimmer so having a good stroke means I can get a lot out of swimming session) which is fantastic, but also found that swimming, more than any excercise, seems to make me very, very hungry. A dietician friend of mine reckons it's because the water lowers your core temperature, so I started taking a thermos of hot soup for afterwards which works really well.

I also walk everyday, which I have always done, taking the dog to the dog park. But now instead of standing stil, throwing the ball and waiting for him to bring it back, I just keep walking and throwing.

I have just bought a simple weights bench and am starting to build up on different excercises. I do 4 different excercises each day, 12 reps per set, 3 sets per excercise. The excercises I have been using so far are dead lift, squats, bench press, curls, rows, and some good old fashioned lift-the-thing-over-your-head. I am trying for excercises that use large muscle groups. Down the track I want to get into isolation training e.t.c but that's getting a bit ahead of myself.

I would love to hear about any excercises you think would help me. I think I need something that will work my abs/core. Most of the ones I'm doing will work well for legs, bum, back shoulder (I think!)

I never do the same 4 excercises 2 days in a row, but other than that I just pick 4 based on how different parts of my body are feeling.

Next week I'll put some weight on that bar!
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Mon May 09, 2011 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising link removed.
Xaniet

Re: Andrew's Journal

Postby Xaniet » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:03 pm

A personal trainer friend of mine was in town today and we did a workout together, she was amazed at how strong my legs, core and back are. I've always stayed pretty active and I guess carrying this gut around is the same as excercising. She's putting together a program for me to help maintain these strong areas and really use them to get some results, and also build up my upper body, which is far weaker compared to my lower.

I told her about my plans detailed above and she really liked it but wants to also add in some isolation excercises for my stronger muscle groups, so I'll be able to do some really heavy weights without injury. The other whole body excercises e.t.c will still start of as extremely light and work up slowly to give the weaker muscles a chance to catch up.

It was also interesting that the main reason for doing the isolation excercises is to ensure that as I am getting lighter and eating a lot less I don't lose any muscle mass from these areas, apparently this is the main cause of dieters getting loose skin.

As soon as I have the programme I'll post it up.

Oh and as for the last two days I've been completely on track and really enjoy the excercises, the scales this morning showed 105.1.
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Mon May 09, 2011 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xaniet

Postby Xaniet » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:35 pm

So it's been about 2 weeks since I've posted, and things have been going ok.

But not great.

The excercise program is fantastic. But I have been a little naughty with food, my reasoning being I'm excercising so I can eat more. Kinda Stupi. I'm down to 104.5 though but this could have been a hell of a lot better.

It's basically just this (P.S I get excercise names wrong all the time, I give them my own :) )

Lifts - Barbell 15kg 12 reps (Good ole lift it above you head)
Curls - Dumbells 15kg 12 Reps (I actually think that's the right name)
Row - Barbell 15kg 12 reps (Start with bar at your waist and pull it up to your chest height with a rowing motion)
Lats - Dumbells 15kg 12 reps (Hold arms up level with your shoulders and your elbow and should pushed right back, lift em)
Robots - Dumbells 15kg 12 reps (Hold arms flat, level with shoulders and make a grabbing motion to bring the weights together in front of you
Situps 20
Crunches 20
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Mon May 09, 2011 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xaniet

Postby Xaniet » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:52 pm

Not sure why that posted!!! I hadn't finished and can't see the 'edit button anywhere.. lol.

So it's been about 2 weeks since I've posted, and things have been going ok.

But not great.

The excercise program is fantastic. But I have been a little naughty with food, my reasoning being I'm excercising so I can eat more. Kinda Stupi. I'm down to 104.5 though but this could have been a hell of a lot better.

This is the excercise routine - I repeat it three time a day. Each set has a 1 min break - after each full routine I break for 5 mins
It's basically just this : (nb I get excercise names wrong all the time, I give them my own :) )

Lifts - Barbell 15kg 12 reps (Good ole lift it above you head)
Curls - Dumbells 15kg 12 Reps (I actually think that's the right name)
Row - Barbell 15kg 12 reps (Start with bar at your waist and pull it up to your chest height with a rowing motion)
Lats - Dumbells 15kg 12 reps (Hold arms up level with your shoulders and your elbow and should pushed right back, lift em)
Robots - Dumbells 15kg 12 reps (Hold arms flat, level with shoulders and make a grabbing motion to bring the weights together in front of you)
Cranes - Dumbells 15kg 12 reps. (Arms by you sides - swing them out and up to just above shoulders - slowly - it kills!)
Squats - Barbell Bar only 12 reps (Correct name - no weight till I'm sure technique is right and back is in no danger)
Situps 20 (correct name)
Crunches 20 (correct name)
Squats 20 (correct name)

Oh and here's a pic - I won't post them all up - there's not enough difference to justify the bandwidth. (check out my pants, that belt is really earning it's money)

Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Mon May 09, 2011 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xaniet

Return to Personal Progress