It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:04 am

Free Newsletter

New Start

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

New Start

Postby Sanov22 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:21 am

Quick summary:

I was about 10kg overweight (20kg over an ideal weight) and had been pretty much sedentry and eating terribly for a long while at the start of August last year, a handful of half assed efforts had me fluctuating down and then back up again by a few kilos now and then but I'd never managed to maintain a weight loss routine. Decided to have another go,this time had a big think about what had and hadn't worked for me in the past and then threw eveything I had at it - diet, exercise, and every little idea that might help (like this forum). It was very successful - by mid-November I'd lost about 9kg and was feeling great. Really felt like I had it all worked out - I was eating pretty well and not finding it hard, I was in pretty good shape (working out at least 6x per week and loving it, could run 10km), the numbers were still going down, I was super motivated & very confident. Then went travelling for a few months and it all fell away gradually but surely. Being away from tools like having a good idea of when and where I was going to eat, and I think most importantly not working out nearly as much as before I went away.. it got me. Came back about 8kg overweight and pretty out of shape compared to where I'd ben before I left. That was 4 weeks ago now. I kind of thought everything would fall back into place when I got home and resumed my regular routine, but it hasn't... I've gotten back into the exercise and am reasonably fit again, still nowhere near where I was, but a lot of that's probably due to carrying the extra weight. I think I must have lost a little fat since I've been back, - I''ve definitely gained muscle and I'm pretty much the same weight as 4 weeks ago. What I haven't managed yet is to get my eating back under control... I just don't seem to have the discipline I did before. Probably I was a little too confident to start.. I've accepted that at least initially it's not going to be easy like it seemed before now and that I DO need to use every trick I have to get going again. I think reading/posting here must have helped last time so... I'm back.

First goal is to get under 75kg. Hoping to reach that by April. I'm about 2.5 or 3kg away from that now.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wzWjG1y/]
[/url]
Sanov22

Re: New Start

Postby Sanov22 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:15 am

Well the weekend was bad but since Monday I've been doing alright. I've gone back to trying to just eat three decent sized meals per day... I know it's not the 'ideal' diet but I also know that's how I kicked things off last time and it worked... I figure getting my mind off of bad food and just eating 'decently' is better than doing the whole "5 small meals per day" thing if it means I'm always thinking about what food I'm gonna eat next and bargaining with myself over junk food... There's less room for error when I only have to decide what and how much to consume three times in a day... well, really twice because my breakfast is pretty fixed... I find it easier to say no to chocolate etc because "it's not time to eat yet" than because "I should eat something healthy instead"... I've also been making an effort to drink a lot of water since monday and trying to get more sleep. The numbers on the scale in the morning have been hanging around the lower half of the 77's since Tuesday... probably no significant actual fat loss yet, but it's nice to see numbers at the lower end of what I *could* be logging.
[/url]
Sanov22

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:21 pm

I can totally relate to this. I'm really struggling to get back to the pattern that was successful before. Part is because I'm finishing off my thesis, but it would be good to work out how to manage it no matter what the situation in life :?

Anyway, best of luck with it, getting eating under control is so hard sometimes, but totally worth it.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Sanov22 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:03 pm

^Yeah, study is a killer... it's so nice to sit down to do some work with a packet of biscuits or something to nibble on... Good to see you around again

Weighed in at 76.5kg this morning which was a good number... But didn't do terribly well with the eating today. I only had about a half serve of cereal left so I supplemented it with some toast... lunch and dinner were good, but I went to the movies later and had a choc top AND some chocolate, d'oh! But the good news is that I seem to have the cravings under control at least... I haven't had that orrible out of control "I NEED SUGAR" feeling in a few days now... I decided to have the choc top just because 'it would be nice' and I hadn't had a big lunch or dinner so I figured it would be OK... maybe a bit silly... I wouldn't have felt too bad about that though, but the chocolate was a mistake... Didn't do any exercise today either... I'm a bit sore all over from yesterday's workout though, and especially my calves have been giving me grief in general lately... it's frustrating and demotivating that I can't run as far/fast as I was able to not so long ago... I'm determined to get back there though - I've entered a half marathon in July and I want to run the whole thing, no walking... losing weight will definitely help with that... when I pick up a 10kg weight and imagine trying to run with that compared to just running... it's amazing how much of a difference it is... so that's another reason to add to the list
[/url]
Sanov22

Postby Sanov22 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:34 am

Still haven't really lost anything... fluctuating up & down a kilo or so it seems - 3-4 good days, 2-3 bad days... decided to start logging my food and exercise

Today:

- bowl of porridge
- McChicken burger plus cheese & tomato (but no fries or coke!)
-Chilli beef stew
- bunch of grapes
- 2x toast with jam

- 1 coffee
- 4 teas
- 2.5L water

- 45mins group training - strength exercises with a few mins cardio between sets
[/url]
Sanov22

Postby Sanov22 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:01 pm

bowl of all bran
2 scrambled eggs on 1 peice wholegrain toast
slice of rockmelon
campbells chunky soup - outback steak & bacon - yum!

2.5L water
1 tea
1 coffee
Will probably have another tea before bed

3.5km run

scale is being stupid... just gotta be patient I guess
[/url]
Sanov22

Postby Sanov22 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:51 pm

- bowl of museli
- ham/cheese/tomato foccacia
- slice of pineapple
- lasagne & salad

- 1L water so far... will drink some more watching TV before bed
- 2 teas
- 1 coffee (2 sugars :? )
- 1 cocoa ... probably another before bed

Scales are still not budging :(
But my tummy seems to be accepting the reduced load well... not getting too hungry between meals now. The danger zone for overeating seems to just be directly after I've already eaten when my taste buds are tingling and want more. Almost had a second helping of lasagne tonight, but didn't, then thought about a small desert, and didn't... and now the cravings have passed and I feel reasonably confident I can get to bed without eating anything else for today :)
[/url]
Sanov22

Postby Sanov22 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:43 pm

Yesterday:

- bowl of special K
- chicken foccacia
- regular skinny latte
- bowl of pasta

- 1L water
- Just 1 tea that I remember

So far today:

- bowl of all bran
- subway 6inch + 2 cookies

- 1L water
- 1 tea

- 45mins group training session
- the 1000 steps - made it from the goalposts to the top in 19mins 55 seconds - a new PB by 9 seconds, and that was set when I was a good 6-7kg lighter... so 'twas a good effort :D

Plan to drink more water and have cups of tea freely in the arvo... going to a restaurant for tea and will try to talk myself into ordering a salad... maybe. No chips or fried things or dinner rolls at least anyway
[/url]
Sanov22

Postby manda » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:06 pm

Looks like you are off to a great start!

I like your idea about keeping a food log.. maybe I should start one too :roll: The scales haven't really been budging for me either for about 6 weeks now. Was actually thinking of doing the 1000 steps every Saturday or Sunday morning but not sure if I am fit enough to make it :oops:

Keep it up and best of luck! :mrgreen:
manda

Postby Sanov22 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:31 pm

Cheers!

As for doing the 1000 steps, just go for it! It's such beautiful scenry and such a great workout no matter how long it takes you to get to the top. There are heaps of people there of all sizes and fitness levels.. some people run (run!) up the whole way, then run back down again, then run up again lapping me on the way... I'm flabbergasted by them... but they are the minority... most people I see go fairly sowly and take breaks along the way. I always used to have to take breaks... and even if you don't make it all the way the first time or the first few times, lots of others don't either, so you wouldn't be the only one.
[/url]
Sanov22

Postby Sanov22 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:01 am

Slipped up a little the last few days beginning saturday night :S ... but not tooooo bad. Just haven't done my '3 square meals and nothing else' for a few days... the extras weren't terrible - a glass of chocolate milk here, a peice of toast there, etc... but they are undoubtedly slowing my progress. But slow progress is still progress... sitting just under 77kg in the mornings now. 2 more kg to my first minigoal... optimistically by mid April but end of April will do.
[/url]
Sanov22

Postby Sanov22 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:17 pm

Can't seem to get it together... I'm not eating terribly but it's bad enough that I'm not losing anything... Been like this a while now.. Decided to try something else - I'm starting the 1500cal 5-day lite n easy plan. Starting monday
[/url]
Sanov22

Postby Sanov22 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:59 am

Lite n easy's going well. Down from 77 to 75.8 in 8 days... food tastes good... just gotta be good and not eat anything else... last couple days have been bad - easter chocolates already :x ... exercise is good, did the 14.4km run for the kids funrun on the weekend, ran the whole way :D
[/url]
Sanov22

Postby Gutsy » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:12 am

Wow! You ran 14.4 kilos? That is really great, used to struggle to run a 10 kilo race and at the moment there is no way that I can run more than about 6 kilos without a walk break.
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcWjzFc/]
[/url]
Gutsy

Return to Personal Progress