It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:53 pm

Free Newsletter

My complete transformation

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

My complete transformation

Postby Mr.Wizard » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:58 pm

Hi guys,

So new to the site but I know myself. Whenever I want to accomplish something I need to give myself rules and I need some sort of motivation to stick to those rules. I don't have the strongest willpower in the world so I'm hoping that posting the rules that I'm setting for myself here then I will be more motivated to stick to them.

First a little about me.
Name: Lance
Starting Weight: 138.5kg
Goal Weight: 100kg
I currently live in what is classified as a remote area so there are a few things that come along with that. First, all my exercise will have to be away from a gym. I do not have access to free weights, cross trainers or any of that other good stuff so I'll just have to do it the good old fashioned way. Also, I do not cook my own food. My employment means I live on my employers property and eat what comes out of the kitchens. I have no influence over what is cooked.

So here are the rules.

1. I will choose the healthier option when it is presented to me rather than constantly reaching for the deep fried.
2. I will get up early enough to eat a healthy breakfast rather than having to rush off to work as soon as I am dressed.
3. I will exercise for a minimum of 30 minutes everyday. This is in addition to any physical activity I do during the day. No counting work as exercise!!
4. I will drink a minimum of 2 liters of water everyday.
5. I will avoid drinking soft drink!!
6. I will update this topic daily with the exercise I have done that day, the food I have eaten and how i feel about the day (whether it was a success or a setback).
7. I will update this topic weekly with my new weight. Weigh in days will be Wednesday morning.
8. I will update this topic monthly with a new picture.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjpeS7Y/]
[/url]
Mr.Wizard

Re: My complete transformation

Postby Gutsy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:52 pm

Welcome! I am looking forward to hear of your progress.
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcWjzFc/]
[/url]
Gutsy

Postby Metalcharm » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:43 pm

Congratulations Lance! They are great rules :D
I live in a remote area too (western NSW - also on a property) and it can still be done ... pick out a spot a couple ks away and walk there and back .. go and flip over a tractor tyre a few times ... fill a drum with water and pick it up .. things like that.

Check out the gym in your nearest big town and go and do a class when you're over there. It will be something different, will give you ideas on things to do at home, and will give you that exercise on a day when you're probably not eating as well as usual. ;)

As for not cooking for yourself .. just tell them! I do the cooking on this place and am always catering to different worker's wants (and my own lol) It isn't all that hard to adapt some meals. Is it the traditional meat and three veg kind of set up? Then take more veg and cut down the meat. Or just take smaller portions. Do you have your own fridge or can you put your own fruit in the coolroom or something to have for snacks? No alcohol! Save it for the very special occasions. (sorry :lol: )

All the best, Lance and I look forward to seeing your progress!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby Mr.Wizard » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:38 pm

Well, first update. Feeling pretty good so far though really tired. First off thanks for the welcome guys. Metalcharm you are right, there are plenty of things I can be doing, it's just I've never really been on the lookout for them before, thanks for the good suggestions.

So, in terms of meals, I wanted to put this up to show you what I'm up against. Please see below for my typical lunch,

Looks delicious doesn't it? (Oh and FYI there are hot chips off to the side, they just got cut out of the picture)

This is taco day, so generally I'd be eating a big slathering of taco mix, topped with sour cream then covered in cheese... god I miss it already.

Anyway, here's what I had to eat today.

Breakfast - 6 weetbix with fullcream milk (yes I know fullcream milk is the spawn of Satan but I like it alright??) and topped with honey.

Lunch - Stayed away from the hot food altogether and went salad. Had a mixed leaf salad with ham (with 1 single serve sachet of french dressing) and 1/2 cup of rice

Dinner - Crumbed fish (just 1 fillet normally I'd have three or four) and mixed salad on the side.

Snacks - I also had 1 grapefruit, 2 nectarines, 1 plum and 2 pears. Some just before lunch and some after dinner.

Okay, exercise for the day. In the morning I went for a walk. Approx. 4km took a little under 60 minutes. I'm going to continue walking the same distance and try and get a little faster every week. When I got back from the walk I did the following:

3 Sets 10 Squats (Squats freaking hurt!!)
3 Sets 5 Sit ups
2 Sets 5 Push ups

Then this evening I went for another walk (same distance and time)

So how did today go? I feel good about the choices I made with my food, though my portions were huge (they always are). I feel if I get into the habit of choosing the healthier option first I can get into portion control down the line. I know it's when I'm really hungry that I tend to go for the unhealthiest foods.

Exercise? I feel good about the walking. Obviously didn't strain myself hugely coming out of the gate, but I did my best to always keep the pace up and not just trudge along. I overdid it with the squats, my legs were sore all day, I think I'll tone them back to sets of 5 tomorrow and maybe up the crunches to sets of 10.

Can anyone recommend a good site to get ideas for no equipment workouts for guys? I know that building muscle is one of the best ways to burn fat, but I don't want to go and injure myself trying to exercise (it kinda defeats the purpose right?) so I'd like to look into it a bit first.

My goal for tomorrow is to get to sleep before 10pm so I don't feel so damn tired when I get up.
[/url]
Mr.Wizard

Postby Mr.Wizard » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:41 pm

God today started out crappy.

Woke up with a headache so I hit the snooze button a few times. By the time I got up to go for a walk the sandflies were out in force!! There was a cloud following me the whole way.

Ended up walking the whole way but it was a pretty miserable day scratching sandfly bites.

Weetbix for breakfast again today. Might change it up with some beans on toast tomorrow.

Had another salad for lunch today, but added the meat from two chicken drumsticks to it. Probably a mistake, it was pretty fatty chicken (but god it tasted good).

And finally more salad with a small chicken schnitzel for dinner. Had to fight really hard at dinner to stick to the healthy side of the divide. There was a really nice chocolate mousse cake that looked really good. I even had someone insisting that I have some!! I turned it down though. Eventually I want to start introducing that sort of stuff back into my life but, right now, I know if I have a little I'll want a lot.

No extra snacks today, ended up to busy at work to even think about being hungry.

Went for another walk this evening. Lucky it stopped raining long enough for me to get out and about. I decided against the squats completely (my legs are still sore from the ones yesterday) but I still did my sit ups.
[/url]
Mr.Wizard

Postby Sassyt » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:40 am

Good luck you have your mind set right so you can do this!
Happy weight - 78kg
Ultimate goal weight- 70kg
Sassyt

Postby 67kilogoal » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:09 pm

It sounds like you are doing well. One idea for exercise is skipping. Any rope will do. Have a warm up first as it will certainly get your heart beating. It sounds like you have a variety of food available. Just watch the actual amount of fat you put on your plate. Remember that fat will go straight to your fat cells and is hard to burn off. Double your vegetables and use these to fill yourself up (the vitamins and minerals also make you feel so much better). I suppose I better practise what I preach. I'll get my skipping rope out in the morning. Good luck, you are keeping me encouraged.
67kilogoal

Postby Mr.Wizard » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:59 pm

Skipping? I hadn't thought of that. Sure would get the heart racing!

Today was a bit of a lazy day in terms of exercise. Went for a walk this morning, but had a really busy day at work and was too tired to bother going out this evening.

Food was still pretty good today I think. Baked beans on multigrain toast (no butter I swear!). Roast beef and salad sandwich for lunch. One sandwich is definitely not enough to get me through the afternoon though. I was absolutely starving by about three o'clock so I had 2 kiwi fruit to tide me over. But I can tell you I was really eyeing off a packet of Fantastic Delites Sour Cream and Chives. It's weird, when I ate whatever I wanted I didn't really think about food that much. Now that I am limiting myself I am only just realizing how obsessed (or maybe reliant) I had become on those foods.
Anyway, dinner was fairly heavy tonight, roast pork with roast vegies. I only had 2 slices of pork though (no crackling) and tried to pile up the vegies as much as possible.

Tomorrow I'll go back to weetbix for breakfast, they kept me fuller during the morning than the beans (though they were a nice change). I'm really hoping for a good result for the first week. I realise this is a long term thing but it would be really nice to get some encouragement to start off with.

Thanks everyone for the comments. It really helps to know that there are actually people reading this so that I'll be too embarrassed to go and have a Mars bar and then have to tell you guys!
[/url]
Mr.Wizard

Postby Metalcharm » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:43 am

Doing a physical job you do need to eat enough to keep you going and not feeling weak. It's really important that your body doesn't think that you're trying to starve it.
Pretty much if you just cut out the crap food, including processed things, and eat mostly wholesome foods then you should be well on the way to being on the right track.
You just have to remember sometimes that how things are cooked is key ..
having two fried eggs on white bread slathered with butter is bad
but two poached or boiled eggs on wholegrain toast is great. The wholegrain bread will keep you feeling fuller for longer, the protein in the eggs is good for the muscles and there's no oil that is was cooked in to worry about.

And I'm watching you .. say no to the mars bar! :lol:

I downloaded an iphone app called Full fitness that has lots of exercises on it that don't need equipment. Have a google around and I'll bet there's a million sites. Try and vary your exercises so your body doesn't get too used to them. I do lots of walking but the more you do it the more, or faster, or harder you have to do it to get the same results. Could an option be to get a small piece of equipment? When I first started I got a cheap elliptical machine for under $150 from a discount website that I still use now - was great for those hot or wet or sandfly infested days when it was just better to stay indoors!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby Mr.Wizard » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:56 pm

Fairly good day today. Weetbix for breakfast, crumbed fish and salad for lunch . Evening was hamburger night. I had a hamburger patty with no bun and a heap of salad.

Slept in again this morning so instead of braving the sandflies I went swimming this afternoon instead. Doubled as a away to change up the exercise a little and I still went for my walk this evening.

I'll definitely be looking into getting some sort of equipment (especially coming into winter) but I want to just try and establish some good routines first.
[/url]
Mr.Wizard

Postby Mr.Wizard » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:49 am

I did a bad thing....

Okay, food wise yesterday was actually pretty good. Weetbix for breakfast, a sausage roll (with lots of salad on the side) for lunch and a small minute steak with salad for dinner.

I also did all my exercise yesterday. A swim in the afternoon and a walk in the evening.

So where did I go wrong? Bloody wine...

After I had gone for a walk I swung past a friends place just to say hi and maybe arrange a time to go for a walk the next day (she's a fitness freak so I thought she may be good to push me a little). Unfortunately she, along with three or four other people were already in their cups and having a great time. I ended up sitting down for a few minutes, which turned into half an hour, just chatting and relaxing. I then went home to have a shower. I should have stayed at home once I got there, but instead I showered and got changed and went back down, not intending to drink, just to chat and relax.

I guess that was pretty naive huh?

I will say that it took about an hour before I had my first drink and, by the end of the night, the final tally was 5 glasses or white wine. While that isn't a huge amount for me, and it didn't have me falling over in the streets, it was more than I intended to have so I'm disappointed in myself for that.

One upside to the night though is that, while I did have 5 glasses of wine, I didn't indulge in what everyone else was doing, casual grazing. There was a bowl of Bacon in a biscuit on the table, parmesan and basil dip, pizza later on in the night and risotto even later. And I didn't touch any of it.

Anyway, next time I'll stick to the rule of a glass of water between each drink and that should slow down how much I consume. I know I should cut it out entirely but, while I can change my diet and still hang out with my friends, I doubt I could cut out drinking altogether and still hang out with them as much as I do now.
[/url]
Mr.Wizard

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:20 am

Hi Lance,
Wow, your employer should take a look at the food pyramid once in a while. Looks like heart attack in a bain-marie! Yikes! A nutritionist would have a coronary just thinking about it :lol:

Good on you for making the best of a bad situation though. :wink:
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Mr.Wizard » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:43 pm

Haven't had much of a chance to update over the past couple of days. Went into Brisbane to visit my sister and have been rushing around place to place doing eveything I need to do before I leave civilization. Not going to go through everything I have been through over the past two days, just suffice to say that I have been good considering I've had a lot of takeaway (been sticking to the subway with lots of salad and no cheese).

What I am really here for is to log my weekly weight change. This is on my sisters scales so maybe there is a difference but I am pleasantly surprised by the result.

Current Weight: 129kg

For a loss of: 9.5kg!!

I am very happy with this result, but I am no where near satisfied. Plan for the coming week is to up the pace of the walks (going down from 60 minutes to 50 but not reducing the distance). Practice a bit more portion control when it comes to meat and other bad foods while increasing the size of salads (maybe even trying to start cutting out salad dressings).

Thanks for all the support guys, it really has helped me a huge amount.
[/url]
Mr.Wizard

Postby 67kilogoal » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:14 am

Congratulations! I love reading your posts. I have had a bad week on the eating side and I like to read what you have done for inspiriation. Keep at it!
67kilogoal

Postby Mr.Wizard » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:34 pm

Hi guys and gals,

Got a taste of how hard it is to control what you eat for those of you that have to live in Brisbane. Was travelling back to work and passed through Brisbane at about 7am. Of course, at that time of the morning, the only thing open was either Hungry Jacks or McDonalds and I was really hungry. Suffice to say I gave in to temptation. I bought a sausage and egg breakfast roll for myself and a couple of extras to share around with people I was meeting up with. Unfortunately one person I was expecting wasn't there so I had an extra. Big mistake.

Anyway, next time I'm in Brisbane I'm going to try and avoid fast food completely (though I do tend to make an exception for Subway, at least there it is possible to make a pretty healthy choice if you try).

Otherwise the rest of the day went pretty well. I'm back at work now and eating is back to normal. Salad with cold cuts for lunch and dinner tonight was a large salad with the smallest chicken schnitzel I could get. Haven't had any luck cutting out the salad dressing yet (I just really don't like the taste of salad that much!!).

Didn't get a heap of exercise today. Went for a walk this evening (cut the time down from 60 minutes to just over 50). I think though, the amount of shopping I did with my sister on the weekend has to count as some kind of exercise right? We spent 4 hours wandering around Harbortown down on the Gold Coast.

Goals for tomorrow: I will get up for my early morning walk. I am going to start skipping tomorrow. A 10 minute session (1 minute skipping 1 minutes jogging on the spot). Otherwise its just up to me to eat healthy and keep on track.
[/url]
Mr.Wizard

Next

Return to Personal Progress