It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:55 pm

Free Newsletter

Tal's Excited Rantings :D

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Tal's Excited Rantings :D

Postby Talien » Sun May 01, 2011 3:17 am

Today I start my new lifestyle.

I set the date before I really knew what I was doing. At the time I only knew a few things.

1) I do the exact opposite of what other people tell me to do, unless it’s me telling me to do it and then I’m really driven. Go figure.
2) I might have PCOS. I flipped out. I have epilepsy and Bipolar Disorder, I can handle those. Not knowing if I would be able to live my dream of having a miniature version of my man? I couldn’t take it. (I now know that I don’t have PCOS, and that you can in most cases still have children when you have PCOS).
3) I was sick of being overweight.

So having recently quit smoking, I thought maybe if I apply the same tools that I could lose weight.
So I set a date. The 1st of may, allowing my mind to get used to the idea.
I started calculating how many kilojoules per day I was eating. At 18,000kJ that first day I was definitely surprised lol. So the next day it went down, and down again the day after that. I learnt what food was really bad for me.
I still ate what I wanted though, sticking to that date, having that line, is something I need to organize it in my head.
I had my last takeaway, Pizza. (I felt like crap afterwards though!)
I had my last carb loaded home cooked meal, Spaghetti Bolognaise.

I went to a shoe shop and had my feet properly fitted for a set of runners. Then I spent a fortune and bought them. They are very comfortable though. And bouncy. They make me feel like going for a walk. My fiancé says that they should shoot fireworks lol but so as long as I get the use out of them I’ll be happy with the amount I spent :)

I also spent the time in a semi-productive way, creating 5,500kJ (I worked out that my BMR was 8k so if I’m below this I should drop the kilos, but it’s not rigid if I need to alter it I will) food plans and an excel spreadsheet that marks every 100g lost from where I am now 119.1kg to 60kg. Yes it took ages. Was I super bored when I started it? Of course I was.
But I can’t wait to mark of that 100g per week. And the more I lose the more I get to mark off :D

I’m so psyched. It’s like I’ve looked back at my life and just planted my foot and refused to continue the way I was going. I have made a decision. I am adamant and driven. It feels great because I already know I can do it.

I’ve entered into the May challenge. I don’t rightly know what it is but I’m happy to just be with people who want to lose weight so we can egg each other on :) It’s going to be great!
I’m doing water aerobics with a few friends and we’re all joining the gym (last time I was at the gym I was a total junkie until I broke my ankle so I can’t wait to get back into it :D ). I’m also walking with my fiancé at night which is more leisurely and enjoyable.

I have my “cheat time” set out – the 27th, 28th and 29th of May are my *I can do whatever I want* days. My Birthday is on the 25th and that weekend is gonna be a big one because it’s my 25th and I’m having a party and going out for Japanese Teppanyaki (a place I’ve been promising myself to go since before my 21st). So that’s my cheat time. I’m happy with that.
If I really need to have something different during the next month I have cashews. And for DIRE emergencies 10g lots of 70% cocoa chocolate. My aim however is to reach the 31st of May completely sugar free (and by that I mean lollies chocolate etc, not natural sugars)

I have a few worries, which I am not ashamed to admit.

I am Epileptic and my medication makes you retain weight and feel hungrier than normal. I am hoping that as I only eat once a day normally, then this will help me to be able to get used to eating regular meals.
Whilst my Bipolar Disorder is somewhat controlled with a strong sedative I often use chocolate and/or caffeine to temper mood swings. I’m hoping maybe I’ll find more stability when I’ve been of them for a while (im on decaf now!).

So minor worries, but worries none the less. At the same time I have to get blood tests done more often to make sure my drugs are at the right levels. Woo more pin jabs….That nurse is NOT gentle! >.< Bah, anyways at least I have a regular doctor I’ll be seeing ;)

Despite the worries I’m excited! I am looking forward to meeting the new me :)
So this is my first post and probably my longest but I’m just that excited about finally doing something about my weight.
*~*~* BMR: 8,155 *~*~* 5,500kj Food Plan *~*~* Aim: 70kg *~*~*
MAY CHALLENGE:
Starting Weight: 117.6kg
Weekly Weigh-in: Monday 2/5: 117.6; Monday 9/5: 116.6
Talien

Re: Tal's Excited Rantings :D

Postby Metalcharm » Sun May 01, 2011 9:54 am

I love that you've got things all planned out. Quoting someone famous here but "to fail to plan is to plan to fail". :lol: Good food choices and the exercise your doing will work wonders for you :D

My only worry is the three cheat days. If you really go all out on those days then you have the potential of putting back all that you've lost between now and then which would be a hard mental blow to come back from. With any of luck your healthy eating will have become a habit and you won't WANT to cheat!
You've given up smoking. (congrats on that!) .. do you ever give yourself a cheat smoke? No you don't. (well, I hope not lol) SO don't do it with food - not for three days anyway!

Eating regularly through the day will keep your metabolism going and be better for losing weight. Can you have a chat with the doctors to see if there are any other meds that you could change to? Probably wouldn't hurt to have a chat with them anway (the whole "consult your physician before starting any weight loss" thing lol).

After all that .. good luck! Today is the start of a new you!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby Talien » Sun May 01, 2011 3:29 pm

Well it's Day 1 and I did my official "Start" weigh-in this morning to realise that even withall th crap I've eaten over the last week I still lost about a kilo! Woop!

117.6kg

(big lettering so I can see it later :D )

The cheat days mean I can have what I want for dinner at a teppanyaki place that I'm going to (kobe beef wagyu style is what I'm having and I plan to eat it all). I plan on drinking alcohol (sake and probably some baileys), and the following morning my 'brother' (best friend's brother) is making me bacon and eggs for breakky. I'm not going to be eating a lot of candy, but I will have a good time because this is the first birthday I will have had in 8 years where I have a bit of money to splurge :)

I'll still be making good choices (trying to have no choclate etc still) and exercising (dancing like a loony for hours), I just wont compromise on my birthday this year (great food and decent tasting liqour).

About the meds I don't want to change them, they have their side-effects for sure, but they work. That's enough for me ^.^ It may sound silly but I've learnt the hard way that a) epilepsy is not something to play with even if you've only had 3, and b) trying to control bipolar disorder is like trying to control a cat on fire. :lol:

And I love that quote by the way if you f n you plan to fail, a very important person in, my life once said that to me and I have never forgotten it. It's never wrong either lol!
Also thankyou for your awesome responses every time, I love reading them and they are way more helpful than 'hey, cool' hehe :)
MAY CHALLENGE:
Talien

Postby matchbox » Sun May 01, 2011 7:17 pm

best of luck! :D
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Postby Talien » Sun May 01, 2011 11:56 pm

I'm really tired so this is going to be short :)

I woke up late which through my menu plan out the window. I adjusted to it but found my self overly hungry after dinner. (This is in my food diary on the board if you're interested in helping out!).
I went for a walk with my fiance, and then after dinner went for another walk with my housemate and her dog. It was raining. My brand new shoes got soaked.

It all sounds pretty negative but I smiled at it all, because I live in Ballarat and it always rains here, we're like a magnet for clouds, I smiled because I knew that if I had have waited for a sunny perfect day, where my shoes didn't get wet and where I didn't wake up late and everything went perfectly then it would be a farce. It wouldn't be my life starting a new existence, it would be just another of those days where I looked outside and found some excuse not to go.

I did it all and I smiled :D
Also I lost a kilo in the last week so obviously that added to my happiness!
MAY CHALLENGE:
Talien

Postby Talien » Mon May 02, 2011 10:10 pm

So Today sucked.
I had all my healthy food.
But once again I was thwarted by dinner. I am exhausted and moody. yip yip.

I buy my Gym membership tomorrow. I think it's going to me a major turning point for me becaus its at the local University and the pack I'm getting includes the Pool. I think My 3 favourite pastimes include swimming, walking and biking. I can't use a bike at the momment but at that pool I am not afraid to get in the water and no one makes fun of you! I love it :D
MAY CHALLENGE:
Talien

Postby Talien » Sat May 07, 2011 2:33 am

It's friday and I am partially ill.

My partner very rarely gets ill but when he does it's like a Mac Truck has slammed into him, he doesn't eat, he sleeps for like 24 hours and I struggle to get fluid into him. He comes out of it pretty quickly though. The bad side effect is that usually I end up sick and for a lot longer than him!
So at the momment I'm working hard on fighting that. As a result I'm intaking a little more food than usual (about 7K kJ) as well as intaking a heap more water.

I got my gym membership and am having a fitness assessment done that has a combination of weight training, cardio and stretching. The guy was only going to give me weights and cardio but I requested the stretching, I used to be so much more flexible :(

What got to me during the fitness assessment was two things:

1. Why is it that people automatically assume that just because you are overweight, you are automatically completely unfit and unable to do anything at all? The guy seemed to think that I had never lifted a weight or gone for a walk in my life. He seemed surprised when I told him that I do water aerobics and take the overly energetic dog for a walk for 20 minutes each night.

2. The guy who did my fitness assessment was good looking. He had to measure me with a tape and one of those pinchy things. THEN he wondered why my blood pressure was on the high-side of normal.
I mean come-on! I just gave up smoking, I just ran accross the Uni campus, and now I have a good looking guy measuring me... Um, hello?

Anyway I've been wanting to go for a walk the last few days, with the possibility of maybe coming down with something I've been reluctant. So I haven't gone. Today I ended up falling asleep on the couch for 5 hours. So I'm pretty sure I'm sick :(
But at least I can try and control how sick I'm going to get >.<
The I can get back into walking, go swimming a lot more often and watch those kilo's fall off!
MAY CHALLENGE:
Talien

Return to Personal Progress