It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:45 am

Free Newsletter

The Sugar and Spice Story

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Re: The Sugar and Spice Story

Postby Jodes77 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:10 pm

Hello Vicki.

I completed a creative writing course recently, it was a great :) I love writing, Poetry mainly.. I might look into to doing more study this year..
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Jodes77

Postby SugarandSpice » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:53 am

Hi Jodie,

I am not the greatest writer I suppose, which is why I thought the course would be good - might help me with some of my essays - lol.

I have done 5 of the 6 essays due this week - 1 to go, left the hardest till last and want to get it done today then I can put it all behind me and start studying for the exam I have next week....

Have been having a few issues with the kids over the past few days - teenagers!!!

My daughter has got a bad cold and I think instead of manflu - it is teenflu!!! We had obedience training for the puppies last night, I normally do it with Sugar and Maddison takes Spice, but and after about 5 minutes she spat the dummy ( puppy wasn't doing what it should be) and plonked herself down on the grass and refused to move. Luckily a lady whose husband was watching asked her husband to take Spice for me so that we could keep going.

My 16 year old son is also having some problems at the moment - he has narcolepsy and so has to take amphetimines to stay awake during the day, he cannot take the 3 per day that are prescribed as if he does he loses to much weight ( 4 kg in 3 days) and at only 46kg for 170cm he is already too thin... anyway, the meds also make him a little angry - and he was already an angry teen - so it is just a bit of a nightmare some days, as I am the enemy and his father ( who doesn't give a censored and hardly sees him is a god). He suffers badly form anxiety also, although it has taken years to get him to admit it. Talking to the psychologist yesterday she seems to think the anger is coming from his anxiety?? I don't know what is going on - but I would just love to have my pleasant, helpful and loving son back!! I think he also wants to go live with his father back in our old home town - mainly because he misses his friends. It's really hard as his father is not interested, and it has been over 5 years since we left that town. Whilst he still occasionally sees his friends and has a great time - I think actually moving back and living there would be a different story - I just think you can't go back - things are never really the same and you end up disappointed? He already has enough issues without that happening. He also has very low self esteem and I don't know how to help with that either??

On the plus side - my 18 year old son Mitchell appears to be getting better each day. He is using his new wheelchair whenever he needs with no complaints and is looking after himself a little better. His pressure sore is slowly improving and we are all happy with that.

So with all this weighing on my mind, I am feeling a little down, which is making it harder to focus on eating right. I am sorry for raving on about it all - but I think that actually getting it out lets me return my focus to myself in some ways...

I weighed myself yesterday morning to take part in the 10kg in 10 weeks challenge - another thread - and found I have put on more weight - so I really need to focus!!

Am going to take the dogs for a walk today - will take them separately and try and practise their training with them , so hopefully they do better next week at obedience training.

I am also lucky that yesterday the Carer said they can give me 2 more hours per week - so that means they will come twice a week for 2 hours each - in that time I am going to go to the pool and do some swimming for exercise.

Well, if you managed to read all of this - congratulations - sorry it was such a mammoth post!!

Take Care
Vicki
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
SugarandSpice

Postby SugarandSpice » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:45 pm

Hi all,

well - I am not doing very well at all.... I am still trying to watch what I eat - but keep having those periods where I am continually searching for something :(

Haven't been exercising as have been busy writing essays etc and after sitting at the computer for a while my feet swell up and get sore so then I use that as an excuse not to exercise... :(

Had a cup of coffee today - and I think I actually prefer water now lol.

On a positive note - I have been given an extra two hours of respite a week starting next week - so will be going to the pool on the two days I get respite to at least get some exercise.... :)

Hope everyone is doing better than I am !!!

Take Care
Vicki
SugarandSpice

Postby Jodes77 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:40 am

Hi Vicki,

Sounds like you have your hands full.. I can read from your post that you are a really good mum, your three kids are very lucky to have you :) Teenager's got to love them.. some days are harder than other's.. I have 2...

Good to hear your oldest son is getting better each day :) I can see how you would be feeling a little down and when feeling like that it is harder to focus on eating right. That is wonderful that the Carer can give you an extra 2 hours per week, really great news :) Swimming sounds great and nice weather for it. Well here in Perth it is, we are having a heat wave...

My feet swell up to when i sit to long at the computer, that is why i went to the doctor's in the first place. I was worried it was fluid, find out my results Monday.

Jodie
Jodes77

Postby Mayden » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:33 pm

Hi Vicki,

It was good to catch up with your info. I hope you get a bit of relaxing time as well as exercise when you go to the pool. The place we have where I go away has a pool so I am hoping to get quite a bit done.

Catch you when I am away, I will have more time.

Denise
Goals
30th April 77 Kilos I am so determined to get to this goal
Mid June 73 kilos
Mid August 69 kilos
November 68 Kilos
Mayden

Postby SugarandSpice » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:48 am

Hi all,

Well I seem to be getting back into the swing of it - just still find myself looking for a after dinner snack... will have to find something that is light and fits with my calories...

I love Dairy Farmers Classic Iced Coffee - but got a shock to find that one carton is 500 calories - no wonder I wasn't losing any weight with one of those a day... for a couple of days - so have switched to making my own iced coffee with light milk - only 145 cal per serve :D

I started taking Champix yesterday - am giving up smoking next Friday - hopefully I can do that and still maintain some weight loss. I think as long as I have water to sip on and some nuts or chewing gum etc I should be fine...

I am feeling more positive again today, and am looking forward to being a new me!!!
SugarandSpice

Postby hummingbird01 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:32 pm

hi - sending my hello's to you! reading through your post , it's hardly surprising you can't find time for yourself. you sound like a very loving, dedicated mum. Its so easy to use food to help when we feel stressed/tired/overwhelmed. I know I'm guilty of that! it's really common,.
Be kind to yourself- do something positive for you no matter how tiny and remember we are all learning and travelling along here together !
hummingbird01

Postby sarahlovesjeff » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:12 pm

Vicki,

I wish you all the luck, you have so much strength and willpower, you seem to be an amazing person.

What action do you plan to take in regards to quitting smoking? Are you going to go cold turkey or slowly stop smoking by not having as many during a day? Patches or anything?

I agree with what others have said, you seem to have a very busy life, so don't forget to have some 'me' time as well, get your nails done, get your hair done, just something that will lift you up and motivate you!

Sarah
๑۩12 WEEK CHALLENGER۩๑
Currently: 109.8
Start: 109.8
①: ②: ③: ④: ⑤:
⑥: ⑦: ⑧: ⑨: ⑩:
⑪: ⑫:
Pledge for week 1: Eat more fruit and veggies
sarahlovesjeff

Postby SugarandSpice » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:46 pm

HI,

Thanks Hummingbird and Sarah!!

Sarah - I am taking a medication to help give up smoking it is called Champix - you start on it and then between day 8 and 14 go cold turkey... the champix is supposed to suppress nicotine cravings... I did try last year, but found it aggravated my reflux and when I told my then GP about it he told me to stop taking them - at that stage I had been off the cigarettes for 3 weeks... but the following week my son went into hospital and I was stressed and started smoking again... This time i will stick to the tablets until I finish the whole course - will just increase my reflux medication if needed...

I don't normally do anything for myself at all - but I have in the past few weeks... I bought myself a new (secondhand) bedroom suite - which is very comfy (my last mattress was like a block of cement).... I put a lovely doona set on layby this week and also a bench press thingy... It is for my 16 year old son but I am going to use it as well!!!

I am hanging out to get my hair cut - which is a big extravagance for me - (I normally cut my own hair).. have to get down to 120kg's first...

I know it's not weigh in day but I weighed myself this morning and am 122.8kg... happy with that as I was 123.5kg, then had a bad week and went up to 123.8kg, then when I weighed myself Monday to join the 10kg in 10 weeks challenge I was 124.4kg or something like that... which was a bit of a shock!!!

I have an exercise bike which I never hop on - but I am going to drag it out to the lounge today and start using it. It is broken though and stays on the one setting (which is hard) so I might try and take it apart a little and see whether I can fix it??

I am a bit scared about Monday - going swimming... I never normally go anywhere alone (anxiety kicks in) and especially going to a pool - don't think I have been near one in about 10 years... I am going to wear bike shorts and a big top as I don't have togs and don't want to buy any - as they will soon be too big lol... (fingers crossed anyway).. I don't even know if I can swim one lap... I might giove it a try and then do some exercises in the shallow end and then try another lap etc...??? Any suggestions???

The two youngest are off at friends tonight so it is just me and Mitchell - luckily we really like the same TV shows and movies - so will have a nice quiet night....

Hope you are all having a great weekend!!

Take Care
Vicki
SugarandSpice

Postby chelsclint » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:26 pm

Hello my friend I am back and as usual your entries are totally inspiring... you make me feel like ive been sooking over nothing major! You deal with so much and just keep going... youre a champ love!

Its a shame about your middle son, he was such a help to you, i hope the psych helps.. have you tried getting him into any youth programs in the area to help deal with his self worth issues etc? im not sure where you are located but as a Youth worker i can tell you they really help.

Really glad to hear your other son is doing well with his wheelchair i know it was really hard on you when he wouldnt use it.

swimming is terrible for all of us... I hated the first time i went back and i couldnt do a lap but now i can do 2-3 before i need to stop... that is major for me! lol

Goodluck hun.. i kept thinking bout you over the past fortnight...
Chels xx
chelsclint

Postby Mayden » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:55 pm

Hi Vicki,

Even if you walk up and down the pool, then do some squats handing onto the side. I have some weights and a noodle, but I find I have to be careful as it hurts my back.

I am going to be so excited when you get your hair cut!

I hope things are going OK for you.

Take care.

Denise
Goals
Mid June 73 kilos
Mid August 69 kilos
November 68 Kilos
Mayden

Postby SugarandSpice » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:14 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the posts and sorry I have been MIA - have an exam tomorrow as well as having started 2 new units this week - so has been full on!!

Chelsie - Am so glad you are back :D Unfortunately Casey suffers really bad social anxiety as well - so will not go anywhere 'different', luckily he settled down a bit after a few days and we have been able to chat a bit... then he had another 'anger attack' tonight as he was trying to explain something to me and I wasn't getting it - he got really angry... Have to say his father was the same and also his grandfather - so maybe part of it is hereditary???

Denise - thanks so much for the pool tips!! :D

My daughter has been a nightmare this week instead... it is TTOM for her and she gets really horrible and nasty, think I may have to look into some vitamins or something that help balance moods - is there anything like that around??

I rarely do my block, but Monday I did. No-one would go to obedience training with me and I can't take two dogs by myself, so I cracked up and said - hey - I do so much for you kids and when I ask for something no-one gives a toss, I even had a little cry, I was frustrated at it all. Thankfully Casey volunteered to come with me although I think I wasted my chance as it was cancelled due to the rain - lol. Here's hoping I can get someone to come next week..

Mitchell is doing really well. I am very proud of him. He is usually a little bit of a problem child - but as I told Casey the other day he appears to now be the best behaved of the three of them!!

I didn't get to the pool Monday as it has been pouring with rain here all week and I was not in a good mood either, luckily the carer that came is lovely and I talked to her about what was happening with the kids and that made me feel somewhat better.

I have been eating well, although busy studying so not much exercise, although have done a couple of small walks with the dogs - or should I say I have fought up and down the streets trying to hang onto the dogs as they strain against the lead and choke themselves trying to run down the street.... must look a sight!!

Friday is my last day of smoking!! :) I am giving up with one of the carers so we have agreed Saturday is our first day as non smokers..

The dentist saga is ongoing.... I had to cancel the last appt as Mitchell was sick, so had a new appointment today and it was a different dentist. She tells me that they cannot just cement bridge back in - it has to go back to the lab and be cleaned first. Then she just tried fitting it to see how it looked and it wouldn't fit (don't know why?) she asked if there was anything else I wanted to say about it and I said I hated how it now looked yellow after the other dentist ground the front down and she agreed it was disgusting and she did not like it either. So all I could do today was drop off the bridge and she will send it away and get it cleaned and see if they can pop some new porcelain on the front to make it whitish again... so now have to wait another week. The weird part is that the other dentist actually did just try and re-cement it back in without getting it cleaned which is probably why it did not work, and as the receptionist gave me a lecture about cancelling the last appointment as they would have to get new cement - makes it seem that the old dentist would have just tried that again.. so hopefully this new dentist is the answer and I will finally get a tooth fitted!! :lol:

Anyway, think I have waffled on enough for now - will catch you after my exam tomorrow

Take Care
Vicki
SugarandSpice

Postby Mayden » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:30 pm

Hi Vicki,

LOL @ the dogs, I have a slow and fast one so I am ripped apart, but they are getting old now so they just go to the park.

Good luck with the smoking, it has been 12 years for me. I went to New Zealand with my mum and she did not know I smoked LOL I thought 10 days of sneaking out was a bit ridiculous!! Plus I had to give up work and I could not afford it any more. I did give myself a little treat each month with some of the money I saved.

Oh dear being called LOL better go.

Cheers

Denise
Goals
Mid June 73 kilos
Mid August 69 kilos
November 68 Kilos
Mayden

Postby SugarandSpice » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:56 pm

HI all,

Well it is day 2 of no smoking and so far have been sipping a lot of water whenever I feel like a smoke... also eaten a little more than I should have but not too much - so hopefully still ok with weigh in this week??

Kids have just gone down the shop with instructions from me to get me as much sugar free gum as they can buy for $10, lol.

Kids are all being good, so life is peaceful and quiet for the moment, so not much to report....

Hope you are all having a good weekend.

Vicki
SugarandSpice

Postby natharas » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:55 pm

Oh, quitting smoking good luck it is very hard to do as I have done it as well. I haven't had a smoke now in over 5yrs, I've actually lost track when I used to smoke. I did mine cold turkey, I just stopped 1 day don't know why but I did and haven't since.

Wish you good luck with it though, you will definately have your moments thats for sure. :D
natharas

PreviousNext

Return to Personal Progress