It is currently Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:17 am

Free Newsletter

Getting ready for a bike tour

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Getting ready for a bike tour

Postby fortyfour » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm

A few years ago i got down to quite a low weight - 55kg for my 165cm with a combination of weight loss using a site like this, followed up by a strenuous bike tour. Unfortunately when i got home, it wasn't too long before i was back to 65ish kg again. Last year things went a bit awry and this year i let my weight climb to nearly 84kg. I look gross. And none of my clothes fit properly.

I've got a cycling trip planned for Late may and i began worrying that i wouldn't enjoy it being so fat. Then i got a wake up call about 2 weeks ago and 10 days ago i started out on my current weight loss program.

The wake up called changed my mood, made me motivated and here i am. I can't lose weight at all if i am not in this right frame of mind. So i do'nt bother trying. Its just too painful. What i tend to do is try to bring about such moments by keeping on focusing on being receptive to change. Its not quite so deliberate as that but that is in effect what happens.

I had an insight the other year that we put on weight when we stop caring about it. That idea resonated with a lot of others on that forum. The challenge is how to keep caring about it. For me what usually changes is that i have some setbacks in life. Some type of disappointment. I can handle one or two but if there's an accumulation and if stress starts to set in, then i'm pretty well doomed. Until i something happens to motivate me again.

Anyway now i'm on a good track. I decided to do some exercise every day. I'd like to be able to run 10km by the time i'm ready to leave but that might be a bit ambitious in the amount of time i've got.

I started a zumba class and have been to two. Its very interesting and challenging. The first week i felt pretty sharp until about half way thorugh when my mind just got tired of trying to keep up. My body gave up too but i kept moving to the end of the session.

This last week, my mind was really slow and i was always about 3 steps behind the teacher. But my body was doing better and i had no trouble really keeping going to the end of the session, dancing, not just moving from side to side as i did in the previous week. That change i think was made only by having gone one a moderate walk every day of the week, except for one day when i did a very strenuous walk for an hour (uphill through a rainforest). I think that might have made a difference. That walk is in the city about an hour's drive away. I look forward to doing it again.
Height - 165cm
Starting weight - 7 March 2013 - 83.6kg
weight - 21 March 2013 - 79.8kg
latest weight - 28 July 2013 - 77kg
fortyfour

Re: Getting ready for a bike tour

Postby Blitz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:41 pm

fortyfour wrote:I had an insight the other year that we put on weight when we stop caring about it.

I think that I would go a step further than that. I think that we put on weight when we don't consider it important enough. I'm a great believer in the saying, "we do the things that we want to do". I have observed that people fail not because they didn't care but rather that they didn't care enough. It wasn't important enough in their lives. The cost out ranked the benefit. This is where the battle for the mind is so important to the process of weight loss. You have to be fully convinced of the need to lose weight. Benefit must far outweigh cost.

It is not enough to wish for weight loss or want for weight loss, the mind has to get to the place where it HAS TO lose weight. A TV reporter once asked me what would I have done if I hadn't lost the 87 kilos...the question blindsided me at the time. It hadn't even entered my mind that was possible! I recovered by saying, "Failure isn't an option!" That is the mindset that is required.

Wishing you all success.
Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby fortyfour » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:40 am

What i mean by not caring is that when you are in a weight gain phase you can notice that you simply do not care and so you eat or don't exercise. Yes you wish things to be different but you are not able or willing to do what it takes at that time.

When i go to the shop and buy a big thing of icecream that i know i'm going to eat in the next two hours or several bags of lollies that i will eat before bed, and so on, i know its just that i don't care. When you are in that phase you can recognise this thought.

When you are not in that phase you are able to recognise that you do care.

Caring is not simply a feeling. It is a feeling that motivates you to act in positive way . Its either caring or its not caring. There is no grey area as far as i'm concerned.
Height - 165cm
fortyfour

Postby fortyfour » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:01 pm

I suppose this thread will be the one where i carry on about stuff.

Today i feel like censored really. I do'nt want to go out. I haven't been feeling that great for a while. But today is the first day that i want to eat. I've already cancelled one appointment. I can't not attend the other appointment. I'd be letting quite a few people down. I am just going to have to drag myself down there. I just wish i had more hours before i had to go out.

I'm also letting the dog down who didn't get a walk yesterday and won't be getting one down today.

And other things. Just not feeling great at all.
Height - 165cm
fortyfour

Postby fortyfour » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:02 pm

It would be good to be able to edit a post but since i can't, i'll just add that i think i will skip exercise today.
Height - 165cm
fortyfour

Postby Blitz » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:39 pm

I agree that it's not about feelings.Feelings lead you around and up 'n' down like a roller coaster ride. People say to me all the time that I must have strong will power to have done what I've done. That is a load of rubbish. I'm as slack as they come! I do what I need to do and no more.

I am convinced my success is down to getting the right mindset that changed the core of who I am. Doing the right thing is then no longer an external but actually defines you as a human being. To use your example of big thing of ice cream and bags of lollies, the inner dialogue isn't should I or shouldn't I? The inner dialogue is; that's NOT who I am anymore...if you do it - you are only cheating yourself! In the real world that plays itself in the last 24 hours like this...last night after the magic club meeting several of the guys went to Macca's. They ordered up big time and make several trips to order more. I order a small cappuccino and cold water. They do what they wanted and I did what I wanted. For many years I ate more than the average joe...I have eaten my life's quota - so I'm not missing out. Got home at 1am in the morning. Still hadn't done my daily quota of exercise. Too tired (I tried - even managed to get the sweat clothes on...but gave up), so set the alarm for 5:30am so I could have the exercise done and get my daughter ready for school on time. Actually did 2 hours (30 minutes more) to make up for the late night coffee (you have it - you're responsible for it). Today I did the weekly shopping. On the list is pizza as a treat for my daughter and her friend on Saturday. Not a flicker of desire in me (more of a sneer of disgust actually). That's her food...not mine. It can safely sit in the fridge till it rots as far as I'm concerned. The mindset is that, what isn't mine - isn't for me.

Reading your more recent posts tells me that you're a bit flat at the moment. Not surprising with the weight you have lost and exercise you have done recently. Try to pace yourself. Remember weight loss is a marathon rather than a sprint! Look after yourself - my first rule of weight loss is - do no harm! Give yourself time to recovery...and then take that poor dog out for a walk! :lol:

Wishing you all success
Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby fortyfour » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:28 pm

My flat mood is not the result of exercise and weightloss.
Height - 165cm
fortyfour

Postby fortyfour » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:35 pm

I haven't made any progress this week. in fact i've gone a fair way backwards. I appear to have put on weight and am not doing any exercise at the moment. I've only been once this week. My lifestyle at this moment is highly sedentary. So i should be eating less than i am even but to me its more important at this stage to be sticking with my healthy meal regime than to be cutting back to get weight loss gains.

The fact is at the moment, i don't want to eat any less and it could ruin my diet altogether if i tried to do that. I should be making more effort to be active. I am unhappy that zumba won't be on for the next two weeks.
Height - 165cm
fortyfour

Postby FXST01 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:24 pm

Sounds like you may need a training partner 44. Someone to keep you both motivated.
bbcode Image
FXST01

Postby fortyfour » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:39 pm

I had a dog to take me walking but now she's on holiday with her owner, my father. Yes a training partner could be good but i've never done that before. I have organised my monday walk to do with other people so that should work next week.
Height - 165cm
fortyfour

Return to Personal Progress