It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:38 am

Free Newsletter

Play it again Sam ...

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Re: Play it again Sam ...

Postby JP1 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:01 pm

Yay! Some great news after all that worry..
:D
Highs : 107 Kg (24 Sept 2007) : 113.5 Kg (12 Jan 2014) : 110 Kg (12 Jan 2017)
Current :107.0 Kg (3 May 2017)
Lows : 78.4 Kg (20 May 2008) : 87.4 Kg (on 16 Dec in both 2009 & 2010) : 82.9 Kg (14 Apr 2011) : 87.1 Kg (4 Jul 2011) : 90.5 Kg (14 Jul 2014) : 99.2 Kg (31 May 2016)
Target : 98 Kg by 14th Jul 2017
JP1

Postby Blitz » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:16 pm

Your app can count all it wants but the body will decide in the end. Your app is only as good as its variables. It calculates averages...and no one is average all the time. You are unique...your body knows that - it is time you did too! 8) :D

The problem with diet cool drinks isn't so much the calorie angle, it is that old habits are kept fresh. If you never have a cold can in your hand or a glass of fizzy drink the same colour as you use to guzzle by your lips then the leap into lapsing into unhelpful old habits is greater. I use to down the contents of a certain red can like it was life's blood. Any alternative I have now that I have a healthy lifestyle doesn't come in can form. Frankly, the few times I have drunk something out of a can these days(only because there was no alternative!) just felt plain wrong - and not enjoyable.

Great work on the 1.4kg! Enjoy the result...you earnt it! 8)

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby feebeejay » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:56 am

thanks for the encouragement!! well, the good news is that i managed a meal out and actually did ok. i ended up having a steak, which i only ate and 3/4 of, salad, no chips ... i asked for no chips so they werent even a temptation on my plate. and although i did have birthday cake, it was only a tiny piece and still within my calorie count (given my estimates were ok re the steak - it was huge by the way!!) ended up with 13 calories to spare for the day ... well, you know, its all estimating, but i think i made some reasonable choices in the end. Tonight we have been invivted to a friends place for dinner, so not sure how i will go there, i think its a bbq, which probably means sausages (ugh!) but they usually have lots of veggies, so I am pretty confident I can do ok tonight as well.

yesterday i actually had cereal for breakfast, and yoghurt, which was pretty yummy, plus some frozen blackberries - so think i'll do the same today as it worked out ok. i've got a lean cuisine meal for lunch so that also should be ok ...

feeling pretty good with it all at the moment, but extremely wary of getting too pleased with myself in case i celebrate with some ridiciulous food (as i seem to have done in the past!!) and ruin it all. interestingly, people are starting to notice a little as well, so that is also nice.

have a great day everyone :)
trying to stop the yo-yo!!!
feebeejay

Postby feebeejay » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:59 am

oh, forgot to add, i didn't even bother with diet soft drink - well unless you count soda water (with a piece of lemon) ... and I had just regular ice water as well, wasn't a problem at all.
feebeejay

Postby Blitz » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:57 am

You are making some great choices. 8) Give yourself a pat on the back! :D

Going out is always hard, especially when you don't have much control of the menu but using something can be worked out. If all else fails - there is always exercising like a mad fool to work it off! :shock: :lol:

Keep working on making those small healthy choices and that healthy lifestyle will come together for you. :D

Kim
Blitz

Postby feebeejay » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:24 pm

Crazy weekend, calories have been mostly ok, but food choices probably not as great as they could have been. Although, had a bit of drama yesterday - my son broke his arm, so we spent about 9 hours dealing with that and waiting around in the hospital - by the time we got out of there I realised how hungry I was and needed to eat something and ended up choosing fast food. Purely because if I'd waited till I got home it would have been an hour later and 11pm. Anyway, planned to make it up today - well we went out for lunch and my first choice of grilled fish was sold out, so chose steak - the salad was much more appealing than their choice of veggies so had salad instead, but I didn't ask them not to serve up chips. However, I only had about ten max I reckon. And half the steak. Drank a whole litre of water with lemon, felt so full when we walked out of there, was crazy. Oh, forgot to mention the cob loaf and garlic butter!! So, dinner was just toast and grapes - wasn't really hungry but felt like I needed to eat something - to be honest I think maybe I had just forced too much food in all at once as opposed to spreading it out during the day.

I'm actually back to the dietitian tomorrow so that will be interesting I guess - I'm not expecting the scales to have moved too much at tomorrow's weigh in after last weeks big loss, it's been about 4 weeks of calorie counting and even though the calorie count is on track, it's been a bit haywire in terms of mealtimes and a couple of choices that could have been better. I guess I'm trying to be more aware of those things though and making adjustments when I've been a bit off track. Today at the restaurant was a little challenging because so many of the choices were deep fried kind of things, that when they told me the fish was sold out I really had to search for something that would be a better choice ... Anyway, I think I did ok, well ok, I could have done better, but in the scheme of things, it wasn't the worst choice I could make as a previous 'chicken parmigiana' devotee!!

I'm going to try to hold it together for tomorrow's appointment with the dietitian, put things into perspective at least and try to focus more on the veggie side of things - I know I'm only a few weeks in really for calorie counting this time around, but it really does feel different this time. I've been reading up on lots of people's personal stories to help keep me motivated ... One day at a time I guess :)
I'll keep you posted on the events of tomorrow weigh in day :)
feebeejay

Postby Blitz » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:43 pm

I thought you did rather well at the restaurant...until the cob loaf and garlic butter! :shock: :lol:

Eating out is always difficult. I lot of it is out of your control and the restaurant are not that interested in healthy portion sizes which means a giant serve is landed on to your plate to test your resolve. It is a skill that you will learn in time - and even then it still isn't easy.

I go into these situations nowadays in super alert mode because I know how hard it is.
Some of the things I do that help are:
    A) Decide resolutely what my portion size is before the meal arrives.
    B) Ignore those side dishes.
    C) Get involved with the conversation not the food.
    D) Bank my food - eat light up to/on the day.
    E) Plan extra exercise time
    F) Make menu choices with my head rather than with my gut.
    G) When finish - remove plate away from you and place cutlery in finished position. I'll also "spoil" it by putting a dirty napkin on the remaining food.
    H) Tell someone (usually my wife) what amount I have decided to eat before hand - nothing like peer pressure to keep you honest.

Life is crazy and full of drama but we only have to dance around it one day at a time. :D
Keep working that life style...you are on the right track! 8)

Kim
Blitz

Postby feebeejay » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:34 pm

thanks Kim,
i didnt really think the bread thing through enough, but know for next time. i like your rules for eating out, and think i can probably adopt them without too much effort. I did eat light yesterday so in terms of calorie count i was still within my limit, but will try to do better next time with portion sizes - and yes it can be a little tricky when they pile up the plates so high - my problem, not theirs, i just need to have the control in the end. i saw something on the telly the other day where the character was eating out and poured water over the french fries so they stopped eating them, lol. i think its probably better to remember not to have them in the first place :)

good news re the scale, another 600g lost last week!! im pretty happy with that!!

cheers
fiona :)
feebeejay

Postby Blitz » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:40 pm

Every one of those guidelines (I don't like the word rules when it comes to consuming food) was learnt the hard way!

Chips/french fries like savories are best left alone. The problem with them is that one is never enough!

You are getting the idea and did do many things right...but this is something that takes real skill (and sometimes a lot of luck) to get together. In my weight loss book each restaurant encounter was noted...and the score card wasn't pretty. But I got there in the end - and so will you! 8)

Kim
Blitz

Postby feebeejay » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:23 pm

So ... Reporting back from the dietitian visit today - wasn't as traumatic as last time, and because I've lost 2kg since my last visit, she couldn't really argue that I'm doing ok. I confessed all my sins and we chatted today a bit about glycemic index and emotional eating ... eating out and making good choices. she also talked about the benefits of portion sizes and sticking to the number of serves vs calorie counting as such. i tried to explain that i need to do the calorie counting so i have some control over the process, and i think she got that, but her concern is that it isn't sustainable in the long term. I figure that if I'm staring down the idea of a lap band, then i need to get a handle on it so ultimately I don't need a lap band!
the next challenge is getting some kind of exercise happening - even if i just start with walking around the block at lunch time (our building in on a bit of a steep hill) i guess thats a start!
i'll stick with my motto of 'one day at a time' - even though i want it all and i want it now, i have to be patient and think of the ultimate end goal, to be healthier and much lighter! being so short, i started out with a BMI of 50.4 - its now down to 46.9, so i can seriously see some movement there, but still a really long way to go. ideally i'd like to ultimately get my BMI down to the low 30's - 80kg is 32.9 BMI so if i can get to the point, i'll be pretty impressed with myself. I'm under no illusions that it will take some time, but hopefully i'm not going anywhere, so all i can do is keep at it and see what i can achieve.
lets see what the next week will bring :)
feebeejay

Postby Blitz » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:44 pm

Keep counting calories if that helps. After a while you will get a handle on portion control just by gut feel. I never counted...I don't have the discipline for all that. I just figured that i was twice the size I should have been so I better eat half the size that I was. It turned out to be a simple idea that worked for me.

Trust me, if you keep your losses steady and make sure that you don't gain any back...you will get to your goal weight before you know it. I was struck how modest my weekly weigh in numbers were and yet after 60 weeks I lost more than half my body weight (87kg lost). My best number was only 3.4kg and that was achieved in my third week. My lowest number for a loss was 0.1kg. One week recorded no gain/no loss number and three of those weeks I recorded a gain (0.5kg; 0.2kg; 1.0kg) which meant 1.7kg that I had to lose twice. When I started I quietly gulped at the idea of losing 87 kilos but I went about it, slowly chipping the number down and before I knew it - it was off. This will happen to you too! 8)

One day at a time...keep that key thought fresh and you will get there! :D

Kim
Blitz

Postby feebeejay » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:35 pm

just checking in ... weigh in day today, and the result is another 600g!! that makes a total of 9kg all together, which I'm pretty happy about. I've been making better choices I think, and trying to keep it manageable. I've been having cereal for brekky every day plus yoghurt and fruit. I've been eating more veggies and probably less sugar than I was, and am feeling pretty good with it all. On Saturday we visited with friends who live up the road and they have started to teach to ride their horses (they have a lot of horses) which was a whole lot of scary for this big ol' fraidy cat. The good news was that I managed to (a) get myself up on to the horse (with the help of a hay bale - i'm pretty short!!) AND (b) I managed to stay on there without falling off!! a plus on both counts I think. We were to go again tonight, for our second lesson, but the weather isn't great, and our host is not well, but maybe on Saturday morning, we can try again! We had a bunch of visitors yesterday and i spent much of the day cooking - and standing, which was a bit of a shock to my body as I usually sit down for much of the day (at a desk usually) so i'm figuring that that would have been some incidental exercise, and of course, the things I cooked were not too bad either - I cooked a batch of nice fresh scones, which I only had one of and had incorporated it into my calorie count for the day, and I also made a bit of a pastryless quiche kind of thing - basically egg with lots of extra stuff (chicken, bacon, capsicum, mushrooms, onion, little bit of cheese, corn) the casserole dish was choca block full and it ended up huge!! healthy and tasty ... i took some for lunch today too!! bonus! I've tried to be sensible this whole week, although i did have a couple of times where I could have made better choices (4 mini easter eggs on sunday made up about 250 calories - crazy ridiculous), i think it's within the realms of sustainability. so when I started this journey back in october, I didn't start with counting calories, I just imagined myself having had a lap band and only eating small kinds of meals - I'd lost about 5kg by Christmas, but put a couple back on over Xmas and new year. When I fully started counting and recording calories again, it was 4th February which was 6 weeks ago, and since then I've lost 4.6kg. i'm fairly happy with that, but when I put both time frames together I get a little disappointed that I dropped the ball at xmas time - I could have been a bit further down the track by now. BUT oh well, I'm not and I just have to suck that up and get on with it. I guess it could have been 6 weeks down the track and I could have still lost nothing, or put more back on, so I've got to look at the positives, right?? I have also reassessed my goal weight too - I always thought that 80-kg was something that would work for me - even though, being so short, the top end of the 'healthy' BMI range for me is 60kg, but I've been thinking about it, and I know it's early days, but i'm trying to really make this a lifestyle thing, and not a diet as such - i've extended my time frame to lose the weight by about 6 months and reduced my goal to 75kg and even contemplating reducing it to 70kg! ultimately, if I could get lower then that would be fabulous, but i'm again, trying to be realistic and we're talking about a lifetimes worth of weight here, I have to allow myself a reasonable amount of time for it to go away again. so, the goal is to lose a total of 47.6kg (at least) hey, maybe I should round it up to 50kg, and then see how that feels?? and my goal date, is my 49th birthday next year (christmas eve) or maybe I should make it 49kg by 49 years!! whatever!! they're only numbers in the end I guess. I've been using an app on my ipad that has helped to record everything nicely and that makes it so much easier to keep track - my iPhone and iPad are linked up so it doesn't matter which one I enter the deets on, either way it works - such clever technology!!
anyway, time to move ahead - have a really busy week ahead, so hopefully I can be creative about getting some exercise and stick to being sensible about the food that I choose to eat, and hopefully next week, there'll be another 600g ticked off! I created this chart that I can tick off along the way, that starts at 1kg and goes all the way up to what I weighed, and then I highlighted in different colours, how much I've lost at one end counting up from 1, what my current weight is (counting down from the heaviest end), and the goal point which is pretty much in the middle ... the idea being that I can visually see the progress of getting closer to that middle goal point!! i've got it saved on my computer so I can colour code everything and hopefully keep me motivated... just another tool, or maybe it was a procrastination tool one day last week when I should have been doing other things, but even if it keeps me focused for a little while, it's gotta be a good thing, right??

anyway, I best go, I have heaps to do tonight, i'll keep you posted on the next step in the journey, and if there is a second horse riding lesson!!
fee :)
feebeejay

Postby Blitz » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:48 pm

That is the problem with "backsliding"...it means taking back the ground that you have already fought for. But remember the past is finished with. What could have been - is gone! Learn from it and use it towards your successful journey.

Dare to dream big! Don't let knocking off a big number intimidate you. It is the same method used to lose 5 kilos as it is to lose 50 kilos. The only difference is time. Dare to dream your biggest dream...and seize it! 8)

Love the riding lessons...the more activity you do the better it is for you. :D
Ride into that sunset on a horse named "Success"!

Kim
Blitz

Postby feebeejay » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:05 pm

Darn!! just posted all my week's news and something happened and it didn't post ...
oh well, might keep it short this time.

This weeks weigh in came in at a loss of 400g, so a little bit less than my 'usual' 600g. I'm not so concerned though, as I'm quite a few weeks in and have been half expecting a bit of a plateau, so I'm just now needing to work out how to push over the edge of that potential and get on with it. I'm that much closer to the first 'magical' 10kg which hopefully will show up next week or so. Have been making a few small changes that I think I'm seeing some benefit from, and I'm learning what the right sized portions 'look' like. All working toward that time when I can stop calorie counting and know for certain what 'normal' looks like.
While I haven't really adopted proper exercise or anything, I have been increasing my incidental exercise, so I'm planning to do that a bit more and see what happens next ... I'll keep you posted
fee :)
feebeejay

Postby Blitz » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:01 am

You will lose a post because you took too long to write it and the software timed you out.

It's happened to me a few times and I've had to rewrite the thing...and it never is as good as the first version. What I do on longer post replies is, after I've written them and before I press the submit button I will highlight and right click copy the text. That way if I lose it; all I have to do is paste it into the new post...post haste! :lol: Try it...it will save you a lot of heartache and work. :D

Looking forward to you getting that 10 kilo milestone under your belt (or is that off your belt? :lol: )

Get some formal exercise going and you will see those kilos really go!

Kim
Blitz

PreviousNext

Return to Personal Progress