It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:11 am

Free Newsletter

Play it again Sam ...

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Re: Play it again Sam ...

Postby feebeejay » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:07 pm

Who hoo, guess what???!! I reached the first 10kg mini goal today!! Am very pleased with myself and am extremely conscious of the whole self sabotage thing that has happened to me in the past, and trying not to celebrate with a foody kind of treat!! However, I am learning, and as today I am at a training workshop, they just brought out the lunch (I didn't even think about the scones at morning tea) and I did succumb to the mini spring rolls and the tiny party pie, and then walked away, and have only eaten half the lunch I brought with me ... Previously I would have not even bothered with the lunch I had pre-prepared (if I had even done that) and I would have tried one of everything on he platter ... So in terms of sustainability I'm getting better, right??

The week has been pretty ok, although I haven't eaten as many veggies as I probably should have, but that's something I can improve on this week. Hey, a funny thing has happened though, me, who has always had toast for brekky or apples when I've been trying to lose weight, I've found a cereal that I like and look forward to eating!! Who would have thought that would happen?? Still working on the whole veggie thing, but I will get there - I have an addiction to corn, but have to try to limit that a little, but it's better than other things I could choose, so I'm subscribing to the 'swap it' thing ... And although I had an ice cream last night, I had limited my snack calories to allow it, so I think even that is sort of ok. I'm not going to do it every day though of course, it was a once off. I think I need to be mindful of the impact of these things, but be ok if sometimes they present themselves. Walk away when it's too much, but not beat myself up if i can work it into my calories!!

Feeling pretty pleased with myself today, but am very aware I don't want to become complacent. .. Now I get to start on the next 10kg!!!

Have a happy day,
Fee :)
trying to stop the yo-yo!!!
feebeejay

Postby feebeejay » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:28 pm

took a quick trip to the supermarket on the way home from work tonight and was tempted by the biscuit aisle. Just popped in there to get some stuff for a function we have at work tomorrow, so it helped that I was spending work dollars, not my own (even though I had some of my own of course). It was probably a little bit naughty, but I bought things that I don't like for the work function, so hopefully I wont be tempted, and whilst I was searching, I noticed that some of my favourite biscuits were on special (always a trap) - I read the labels of all my favourite bikkies, and was surprised about how many calories are in them (some of which I've been know to eat half a packet at a time), and mentally compared the volume / calorie count of a couple of biscuits with something much more filling (and healthy) and ultimately decided that I wouldn't be tempted by any of them. I left the supermarket telling myself that if I cheated, I'd only be cheating myself ...
good choices!! happy with myself today.
fj :)
feebeejay

Postby Blitz » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:47 am

Congratulations on the 10 kilos Fee! 8)

I can feel your excitement - and so you should be - you are doing a lot of things right! Very good work! :D

Corn is fine...so long it isn't soaked in butter! Try it on the cob, that way you have to "work harder" for your fed.
You are getting the right idea. Owning your choices. If you choice something "unhealthy" or calorie dense then it is up to you to offset it. This journey isn't about denial,; it is about healthy sensible controlled choices. 8)

You worried me when you talked about buying in the biscuit aisle! But it was for work - so you are excused! :lol:
It is good to starkly see the costs of your favourite bickies and realise just how empty those calories are in the scheme of things.

You have come a long way and are learning some excellent skills that will bring you even further success!

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby feebeejay » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:46 pm

Thanks Kim,
I do feel good about my choices, and yes I have my corn on the cob, without butter!!
I did succumb today a bit with the catered work do, but I now have a challenge to work off those 'extras'. I did go over my calorie count today, and I know where I made my mistakes, so I can do better tomorrow - again I chose things for the menu that I'm unlikely to eat, so hopefully I won't feel as if I need to just have a taste. Interestingly I had a couple of people encouraging me to indulge, and while they probably mean well, I have to remember that it's not them who needs to work off those 'extras'. Also mindful of the self sabotage just lurking in my brain, not going to let it beat me!!
Am feeling inspired by the biggest loser show at the moment, but I know what the contestants are doing isn't sustainable but I do understand the process is in fast forward for them. I have this dress which I bought a number of years ago now that I always hoped I would be able to fit in to, so I've decided I'm going to dig it out and make it my goal dress! I reckon I'd fit into it in about another 10kg, but because it's stretchy, it's probably going to look better after another 10kg after that I'm imagining. One day at a time :)
Cheers, fee :)
feebeejay

Postby Blitz » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:21 am

Good work here. You are taking ownership of your choices and learning from the past which is very good. 8)

It is tough saying no to well meaning people. Sometimes you think that it isn't at all innocent of them and that they are out to sabotage you (and some of them are!) but generally it is well meaning ignorance that drives them. Social occasions for most people means indulging in "a little bit of fancy food". They have no idea how "a little bit of fancy food" can completely rail road us. I try to explain to people how just a modest amount of food can see me put on a kilo or so in a day because my metabolism is messed up by years of abuse. So I don't try any more. The other day was my mum's birthday. I was being offered everything under the sun and batting most of it away. At 11:30am, huge buns with sandwich meats in them came out for lunch. I had to beg off three times with the reason that it was far too early for my lunch (not to mention...far too much - full stop!).

I watch the Biggest Loser too. I hate all that soap reality carry on but watch it for all those little insights that you can glean. Watching out for those small training tips or food tips etc. It is also interesting watching the psychology of change in the contestants. You literally can see when each one "gets it". Before, you will hear them complaining, whining and make excuses why they can't do it whatever task that is set before them...and then when the penny drops; you see them knuckle down to the hard work with a new lease on life excited about their better futures!

I like the dress goal idea very much. 8)

Kim
Blitz

Postby Sanov22 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:24 pm

Congrats on the 10kg loss Fee! An amazing result, well done!

I like your attitude of "eat better" as opposed to "eat perfect". I'm trying something similar (trying to do 4-5 days of very good eating during the week then giving myself the weekend off to eat "normally" - what I would eat if I didn't want to lose weight, just not gain it). I think it's a more sustainable attitude. How much better we eat will determine how quickly we lose weight, but a little bit each week is much better than a couple of weeks of big losses then giving up or putting weight back on because we got sick of the restrictive diet and binged.

Clothes are a big motivator for me too - I have a whole bunch that are near new that I bought when I was about 7-8kg lighter to look forward to.

Keep up the good work :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wzWjG1y/]
[/url]
Sanov22

Postby feebeejay » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:49 pm

thanks for the encouragement, it really does help :)

well, this week's weigh in wasn't as good as I was hoping, but anything is better than nothing, right?? the scales are telling me that I've lost another 200g, however, I've had some ham (off the bone) a couple of times over the weekend, and really noticed the impact of the saltiness, i drank heaps of water, hence I think i may have some fluid retention as a result, right on top of 'weigh-in' day. I know that sounds like an excuse, and maybe it is, but i did go over my calorie count last week for various reasons that I've identified and will try not to do again. I met with the dietitian yesterday and she seemed fairly positive about my progress so far, and was quite encouraging, even when I told her of my 'mistakes' last week, she told me i was being too hard on myself, and to focus on what I had achieved, rather than what I hadn't ... i'm prepared to take that advice on board and am back on track this week, so am not too concerned. At least there was a loss, not a gain, right??

I've had veggies for the last few days and have found that i've quite enjoyed them, funny how all this 'healthy' stuff is working its way into my head. i'm preparing this week for my son's 21st birthday celebrations on sunday (coming) and we are booked into our favourite italian restaurant in Hobart. This will be a challenge because they have the yummiest pizzas, and do the best veal scallapini EVER!!! (of course, it is served in a creamy kind of sauce too!!) i'll have to research their menu and see if there is anything else I can choose that isn't too calorie dense, before I get there!! I'm also thinking that I might just graze the rest of the day too, so i have a few calories to spare for dinner! i'm also thinking I might make him a rich chocolate cake for his birthday cake too, as I don't do rich chockky cake, it doesn't like me, and I don't really like it! luckily for me, just about everyone else in the family does like rich chocky cake, so it shouldn't be too tricky to not be tempted in that department at least :)

I've picked up some freshly picked apples from a local farmer this week, so i'm totally enjoying completely crunchy, fresh, tree picked golden delicious, which would have to be the only way to ever consume golden delicious, they are seriously YUMMO!! one of my work colleagues came into my office today and was surprised that I was eating an apple!! (i.e. too healthy compared to my usual choices) - it's interesting though the comments you get sometimes "I wish I could lose 10kg" and i'm sure that they could if they put the effort in, but i guess its all about motivation too I suppose. That's one hurdle I've overcome at least. i'm optimistic that it will continue, although i'm so totally aware that easter is just next week and i really dont want to succumb to the chocolate thing - I have this idea that I will make some cereal treat eggs (eg muesli/marshmallow) which might be a little bit healthier than the chocky thing ... just trying to plan ahead!!

anyway, continuing on, hoping for a better result next week,
fj :)
feebeejay

Postby Blitz » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:23 pm

The trouble with ham off the bone is that there is usually so much of it! :shock: It's tasty stuff - but watch out for it's bite if you indulge too much!

You have been losing good steady amounts consistently so you have got to expect the occasional "lean" week result. These are the weeks that the body uses to catch up to what you have been doing to it. I have found that the week after (so long as you have been responsible) produces a very good result...so hang in there! :D

It will be interesting to see how you pull up from your pizza and veal scallapini outing. Wish you success...does sound like you are thinking ahead about your son's 2st - good work! 8)

Your apples sound...golden delicious! :lol: Since I've been on this weight loss journey I think I've eaten more apples in that period than the entire 50 years previous! My apple of choice is Pink Ladies. Apples are very good.

BTW congratulations on your son's 21st! :D

Kim
Blitz

Postby feebeejay » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:25 am

Finally made it to Tuesday, weigh in day, and I've lost another 400g this week. Considering I had my sons 21st birthday and a lovely restaurant meal, AND birthday cake, I'm pretty happy with this weeks efforts. So on Sunday (my sons birthday) I was tasked with making a huge birthday cake covered in chocolates and other lollies, so what actually happened, is that I didn't eat very much during the day so I could indulge at the restaurant (almost) guilt-free. I had looked at the menu online before getting to the restaurant so I could try to find something that wasn't too bad in terms of calories, however, all the choices were fairly indulgent, so I chose something that didn't have cream in it - not early sure how effective it was, because I think the recipe I did choose still had lots of butter, but as I said, I didn't have much else during the day so I think it's ok.
I've been planning how to get around Easter without reaching for too much chocolate, and found some Easter egg molds to make these rice crispie versions ... Basically rice bubbles or muesli and marshmallow, and there will also probably be a little bit of white chocolate involved, but the molds are half Easter eggs, and so the pieces will actually end up being a nice bite size kind of treat. Well, that's the plan at least, guess we'll see how it works out!! I actually caved yesterday and bought some hot cross buns, although haven't had one yet, I might have to work one into the calorie count today while they are still fresh :)
anyway, the start of another challenging week ... Happy Easter everyone :)
feebeejay

Postby DD Diva » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:08 am

feebeejay wrote:Finally made it to Tuesday, weigh in day, and I've lost another 400g this week. Considering I had my sons 21st birthday and a lovely restaurant meal, AND birthday cake, I'm pretty happy with this weeks efforts. So on Sunday (my sons birthday) I was tasked with making a huge birthday cake covered in chocolates and other lollies, so what actually happened, is that I didn't eat very much during the day so I could indulge at the restaurant (almost) guilt-free.

Congratulations feebeejay!!! A loss of 400g is great, and given your son's birthday and a restaurant meal out is FANTASTIC going! Give yourself a HUGE pat on the back; you deserve it!!

What you've described above is a mirror of what I've been doing for almost a year now. I NEVER go to a restaurant without planning/looking up the menu in advance and if I know that I'm going to "indulge" a little, I sacrifice A LOT the day before as well as the entire day before I get there, and I order (my planned meal) even indulgent ones totally GUILT FREE!!! :wink: And the end result on the scales, come weigh in day??? Yep, you guessed it.....ALWAYS A LOSS (may not be a huge loss, but it's always a loss).

Personally I get sick and tired of reading people's belly-aching woes of "oh boo hoo I CAN'T have this or that" It just does my head in!! :evil: Seriously people, life isn't about torturing yourself. Just because you put on weight indulging excessively doesn't mean you have to starve/deprive yourself to the extreme to get it off! Take your time and be kind to yourself. :roll:

Here's the thing, as of this morning (and I'm hoping it stays that way at least until my weigh in day on Sunday) I've lost a whopping 40kg by:

NEVER depriving myself of ANY of the foods I love, indulging in everything from lollies, chocolate (milk, not that dark bitter crap) to creamy sauces, breads, pasta, biscuits etc etc!!
RARELY doing any serious exercise (which I loath and simply don't have time for) it's all been "incidental" stuff like taking the stairs instead of the elevator, dancing while vacuuming, playing catch with the dog!
But (and isn't there always one of those?)
ALWAYS controlling how many calories and the amount of food (whatever it may be that) goes into my mouth!!!

I love the fact that I can eat what I want, whenever I want as long as it's in "moderation"! And if I overdo it, no problem; I simply cut back the next day (or two, whatever it takes) until the sign of my sins vanishes from the scales! :D

And this Easter is no egg-ception! :lol: I have put aside a chocolate Easter Bunny (with my name on it, metaphorically speaking) that I plan to devour (from ears to paws) grinning and making a yummy face with every heavenly mouthful!!! :wink:

Happy Easter everyone! :)
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:55 pm

...And I lost a whopping 87 kilos by:

NEVER depriving myself of ANY of the foods I love...so long as I can live with the cost of it!
RARELY NOT doing any serious exercise!
ALWAYS...the amount of food (whatever it may be that) goes into my mouth - and taking responsibility for what I had!!!

Similar approach - bigger outcome...maybe it was the exercise! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But Diva is right on the money with her comment about moderation...
of course the problem is getting to the point of consuming food in moderation! :shock:

Interesting post Diva!...the only thing I take real issue with is: "chocolate (milk, not that dark bitter crap)"...
but that will be dealt with later! :lol: :D

Another good loss Fee - especially on a week packed with pitfalls...keep up the good work but do yourself the favour - easy back on the butter on that hot cross bun! :lol: 8)

Kim
Blitz

Postby DD Diva » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:19 am

Blitz wrote:...And I lost a whopping 87 kilos by:

NEVER depriving myself of ANY of the foods I love...so long as I can live with the cost of it!
RARELY NOT doing any serious exercise!
ALWAYS...the amount of food (whatever it may be that) goes into my mouth - and taking responsibility for what I had!!!

Similar approach - bigger outcome...maybe it was the exercise! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But Diva is right on the money with her comment about moderation...
of course the problem is getting to the point of consuming food in moderation! :shock:

Interesting post Diva!...the only thing I take real issue with is: "chocolate (milk, not that dark bitter crap)"...
but that will be dealt with later! :lol: :D

Another good loss Fee - especially on a week packed with pitfalls...keep up the good work but do yourself the favour - easy back on the butter on that hot cross bun! :lol: 8)

Kim

Just to be clear.....

Albeit I'm saying weightloss is possible with minimal exercise, please note that I DO NOT for one moment advocate a "no exercise (at all)" approach to shedding the kilos!!! I personally may not don the gym gear and hit the workout machines running, or even pound the pavement (as so many others do, with my admiration by the way) but I do make an effort to get off the couch and move more!

What I DO advocate with gusto, is a "no deprivation" approach, that is, if you deny yourself the things you love, your mind, body and soul will crave these and drive you to the point of madness! :shock: So give in (a little) but just don't enjoy a lot (moderation, moderation, moderation!!!) and you should still stay on track! :wink:

And one of my indulgences is, yep you guessed it....MILK chocolate, which yes I know dark is definitely better for you, but honestly, it's an acquired taste and I'm afraid my taste buds just refuse to get acquainted! :oops:

Life is to be enjoyed, and the journey to the newer (better, healthier and sexier) you doesn't have to be torturous! Common sense and a positive attitude often get overlooked when people decide to embark on a weightloss program, believing they have to sacrifice everything but it doesn't have to be that way.

Remember to have fun people! Live, love and be happier and healthier! :)
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:37 pm

I agree 100% with your post (except the milk chocolate!...come over to the dark side! :lol: ).

Too many take the opportunity to use weight loss as an excuse to metaphorically beat themselves up. No wonder the fall of rate is so high? When the novelty wears off...were is the joy in living like that?

We all have to pick our poison - and live with the consequences and responsibilities of our choices.

Life is not a monastery and should have it's pleasures however nor is life an orgy!...the moderate course must be taken. The difficulty is of cause that we the overweight have been indulging in an orgy of gluttony and sloth - and any pull back from that lifestyle may seem like a monk's existence! :shock:

Learning a new healthy lifestyle takes time. It wasn't until nearly two weeks into my weight loss journey that the penny dropped that NO EXERCISE AT ALL wasn't a policy I could continue if I wanted to lose weight. So I started to exercise...it wasn't much at first but at least it was a start. With fitness came the ability to increase exercise - and yes; even to enjoy it!

"Remember to have fun people! Live, love and be happier and healthier!" I echo this thought too!...the weight loss journey should be a time of excitement and discovery! So much learning about yourself and others, so many wonderful changes in your life, so many interesting things that you can do that you would never had done before...and a hundred and one other things to surprise you along the way! That is why I keep harping on about a better future. The longer you stay on the road to developing a healthy lifestyle that you can live - the better your future!

Kim
Blitz

Postby feebeejay » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:11 pm

Well good news!! I haven't yet had one hot cross bun, and last night we went out for a pub meal and I chose veggies with my steak instead of chips and salad - but oh boy did I want those chips!!!! I pinched 2 chips off hubby's plate and they were the yummiest chips I think I've ever had. The steak was a bit ho-hum, and the veggies were pretty ordinary and I sooooo wanted to have something deep fried and golden like everyone else. BUT, you are right Kim, I've had my quota of deep fried and golden, and been way too gluttonous in the past, now I have to be accountable to myself and just plain stop being so irresponsible with my body!!! Having said all that, I did succumb to a handful of little chocky eggs today, after resisting them all week, but I think I've had my fix now, and I can move forward without feeling deprived :)

More good news on the exercise front, well hopefully anyway. At the encouragement of the friend we had dinner with last night, today I went out and bought my husband and I a fitbit flex each, so we can track our activity. I have a very sedentary job, and all my hobbies are ones where I sit in one place, so it will be a challenge to actually get moving, but hopefully together we can work on it. My hubby has just given up smoking last week, after around 30 years of smoking, so he also needs something to get him motivated, so now we have the gadgetry, we just have to make it work!! So glad it's the weekend now, will have to get started on my 5000 steps tomorrow - the first pre-programmed goal was 10,000 steps, but figure I need to work up to that, 5000 seemed like a good compromise, for a starting point at least. Maybe after a few weeks I can increase it!!

I'll keep you posted as to how we go. Good luck everyone with the Easter challenge, don't eat too much chocky and undo all the great work!!
Cheers, fee :)
feebeejay

Postby Blitz » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:24 am

Very good choices...I won't begrudge you those two chips!

But as for that handful of little chocky eggs...hey - it ain't Easter yet! I don't know...I've been carrying a whole big bag full of them all week (used some of them in my magic shows at a shopping centre I've been appearing at) - not the slightest bit tempted by them. What I don't end up giving away will probably be thrown out! :shock: :lol:

It will be interesting to see how you go with 5,000 and 10,000 steps. My wife tries 10,000 steps for something at her work. She does quite a lot of walking but even she was having a hard time reaching 10,000 steps most days of the challenge!

Happy Easter Fee...continue to eat wisely and enjoy the holiday break with those who are closest to you. :D

Kim
ps Best wishes to your husband - and you while he is trying to give up smoking...he is going to get crabby before he feels the benefits - so be extra nice to him! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Blitz

PreviousNext

Return to Personal Progress