It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:35 pm

Free Newsletter

Play it again Sam ...

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Re: Play it again Sam ...

Postby Blitz » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:24 pm

Good to see you still at the bat and slugging away!

Really can relate to the airplane stories. Been there and bought that t-shirt!

I remember one fellow traveler who give me "the look" and while I huddled myself into the smallest space possible whilst traveling across Australia - he promptly fell asleep and started to hog up my seating space!

About the seat belts...I seriously looked for an extension to buy so I wouldn't have to ask but couldn't find them on sale anywhere.

As it was I developed the an alternative plan called "flipping the fat". You get on board first (getting a window seat allocation), wear a big loose t-shirt...flip up the fat apron when no one is watching, extend the belt as far as it can go - breathe in tight and belt up. Then huddle yourself into the contour of the window seat and don't move for the WHOLE flight. An attendant once asked me if I was belted up because he couldn't see the belt because of the fat! :lol: The big thing however was not being able to eat or drink normally...the travel tray doesn't go all the way down because your stomach is in the way! When I lost the weight...one of my best memories was being able to put down that darn table tray - and have room to spare! 8)

Keep at it Fiona! That bewtter future is waiting for you!

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby feebeejay » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:35 pm

Oh yeah, still slugging away - and thanks for your story Kim, yep, all of that is so familiar, but I am on track and will definitely have gotten to my first goal by the time I have to fly at the end of March. Unfortunately I've had a bit of a reminder about the impact of this disease with my mum having some challenges at the moment due to diabetes - and yes, I am a prime candidate. I have really noticed a difference in how I feel when I eat carbs vs protein and am a slow learner, but have been making much healthier choices this time around. Hoping my willpower will stick around - but I've finally come to the realisation that I have to grow up (at 48 yrs old) and be accountable for what I stuff down my mouth (lol). I have been on various journeys over the years and hope that this time I can really get it together ... So far lost about 7kg from my heaviest at Xmas time, so definitely on my way and beginning to notice little changes - so that's all positive :)
trying to stop the yo-yo!!!
feebeejay

Postby Blitz » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:27 am

One of the remarkable things you will find when you lose the weight is just how much of your general health improves.
Before I started my weight loss I had myself checked out by a doctor so as to get the state of play of my body.
I was very surprised when the tests came back and showed that I didn't have diabetes. I was sure my body was giving me the heads up that I had it. Guess I managed to dodge that bus before it came along! :lol:
But nevertheless, my general health improved out of sight. No chronic asthma, no bad backache, swollen ankles gone and no longer going from cold to cold. Heck...even my skin cleared up (for decades I was the oldest teenager with acne!). :D

Well at 48 years that still makes you wiser than me!
It took me just 26 days short of my 52 birthday before I finally decided to start to lose weight.
I was so dumb that before then I hadn't even attempted to lose weight.
At least you've been aware of the problem - I was blissfully ignorant! :shock: :roll:

Learn from your past and use it to build that better future! 8)

Kim
Blitz

Postby Divalicious » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:43 am

Blitz wrote:One of the remarkable things you will find when you lose the weight is just how much of your general health improves.

Too true!!! :D
Like you Sam, I was a prime candidate for diabetes, with being obese and the fact that it was in my family (mother); I was a ticking diabetes time bomb!! :cry:
I also had LOTS of other health issues, which included having had two hip replacements, two dodgy knees still needing replacement and chronic back problems!! I couldn't walk for more than a few metres and because of my knees, I had to go up and down stairs slowly and not using alternate legs (that is, generally I'd use my right leg which was the strongest to hoist my cargo and lead the way up and down each step). Doing this was not only frustrating, it was a source of severe embarrassment especially if I had to go up/down stairs and there were people behind me needing to do likewise; I always felt bad for holding them up!! :oops:

But after losing the weight (or at least half of it) I saw major changes.......

I can walk for kilometres instead of just metres
I can go up or down stairs using alternate legs (left, right and so on instead of just using my right leg)
The possibility of getting diabetes is far diminished (according to my doctor)
And the back pain is completely gone!!

Losing weight isn't just about looking "hot" in new clothes (there's that of course) :wink: but the health benefits, not to mention the renewed sense of worth far outweighs looking good in your new wardrobe selection!! :D

Keep at it (you're doing fine), you'll get there!!! :wink:
136.0kg - Heaviest weight (1/1/12)
126.6kg - Starting weight (1/1/13)
60.0kg - Goal weight
63.3kg - Current weight

Divalicious

Postby Divalicious » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:08 am

Sorry Fiona,
I think I got caught up in the thread heading, I referred to you as "Sam"!! (too early in the morning methinks?!) :oops: :roll:
60.0kg - Goal weight
63.3kg - Current weight

Divalicious

Postby feebeejay » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:42 pm

Oh boy!!! Where is my head at??? The last couple of weeks my mum has been in hospital quite seriously ill, and despite the problem being a viral condition (possibly meningitis they think) her diabetes has not helped at all, and it appears that her inadequate diet may have lead to the beginning of all her troubles before the virus hit. Through this process, I have really become aware of the importance of good quality food, and have been trying to make good substantial choices ... Yet today, with some improvement in mums condition, maybe it was some sort of relief reaction, but I just went and binged on chippies, chocolate and KFC!!!! What the????? And while I didn't eat anywhere near the volume I might have in the past, still I'm making these stupid choices, even when I have physical evidence in front of me of what could happen to me????? You know, I can be really focused, and be good 90% of the time! and then something like this happens! and then I can't help but wonder why I am so stuck in this ... All the logic tells me that it is all down to me, I'm not cheating anyone else but myself, but yet I still do this to myself ... Crazy!!!! How do I stop falling back into those same patterns?????
feebeejay

Postby Blitz » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:00 am

When I was losing weight my dad ended up in hospital due to an inadequate diet - he nearly starve to death. The doctors gave me a hard time about it (my other siblings went missing and I had to deal with it)...one assumes that one's parent is eating properly. Unfortunately his mind was slipping away quicker than we all realised and he stopped feeding himself. It became the catalysis for him to move into care (not that he enjoyed that idea!) and once he settled he was well looked after to the end of his days.

The crazy thing is that having gone through all that with my father - we nearly repeated it with my mum! Her mind started to go as well and her level of looking after herself started to suffer. Again she wasn't eating properly and she also wasn't taking her medications as she should have. Once in care (not that she enjoyed that idea either :roll: ), she physically picked up - although her mind has rapidly gone done hill.

Life is interesting with aged parents. Only last Saturday I get a call from my sister at 6:30am that mum's aged care place has rung her. Mum had a fall and had a huge cut on her head that wouldn't stop bleeding and they had her taken by ambulance to the hospital emergency ward. They want a family member to go down (my mother is pretty incoherent to most people - not helped by the fact that she has reverted back to her first language...Dutch). My sister thoughtfully gave me the task to go. Was there to lunch time...they put in a few stitches and gave her a head scan. Getting her to lie down for the scan was a bit of an ordeal - she tried to bite me!...she was ready to go home and didn't want the scan. :roll:

But life goes on. We have to learn to roll with the punches and keep our weight loss separate to our feelings.
Don't see what has happened as a set back but rather as an opportunity to learn something real important on your weight loss journey.
It is only a failure - if we fail to learn from it!

Examine the events carefully. Figure what was going on in your mind at the time. Isolate those thoughts that you allowed to grow that lead you to those poor eating decisions. Get honest with yourself. And above all - figure ways to derail those thoughts and actions that bring you further away from your goals.

If you want to explore these things on this thread; we here will be happy to act as your sounding board.
We are here for you. :D

Kim
Blitz

Postby CronicBadger » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:21 pm

One thing I've found useful is to acknowledge the stress but not try to alleviate it with whatever is at hand (food). A reactive mindset is going to bring further pain, eventually (even if that pain is just that of an exercise treadmill).

Try to make good eating habits normal for you. Practice them consciously. If you fail then get back on the wagon ASAP and don't beat yourself up over it. Perseverance eventually wins, and brings other benefits too.
CronicBadger

Postby Divalicious » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:27 am

Wow!!! :shock: You guys have been through a bit of drama lately, but my prayers are with you (and your loved ones) that things are on the improve?!! xx
Life is a real test on one's character, especially when it throw us these curve balls which come out of nowhere and (worst) when we least expect (or need) them!! :oops:
But Kim's right Fiona, "It is only a failure - if we fail to learn from it!" don't let what happened to your mum stop you from doing the right thing for your own well-being. You're not failing if you slip up a little but then get yourself back onto the right path, you're only failing if you give up completely and by the sounds of you, I don't think that's the case......so you go girl........back on that horse, and ride like the wind to destination victory!!! :wink:
60.0kg - Goal weight
63.3kg - Current weight

Divalicious

Postby Divalicious » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:29 am

Oh and one more thing, if it's any consolation........I've fallen off the wagon MANY MANY times through this journey, and no doubt I will do again (from time to time); how could I not?? I'm only human!!! :roll:
Don't beat yourself up, you've had a small setback but it's not the end, the future is still ahead of you....so turn it around and make tomorrow, the next meal in fact, a better one than your last (blowout)!!! :wink:
60.0kg - Goal weight
63.3kg - Current weight

Divalicious

Postby feebeejay » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:39 am

thanks everyone, it's great to have your support!! I'm going to subscribe to that mantra Kim, it's only failure, if I fail to learn from it, and I just HAVE to learn from it, or be responsible for giving myself an early grave :( This IS a learning curve, and perhaps a test to see where my resolve really is!! so, yes, Divaliscious, back on the wagon I go!! Thank you again - it has been a pretty awful couple of weeks, but it seems mum has turned a corner (I say with my fingers crossed) with the virus hopefully on it's way out of her system and now just needs some time to rest up, recover and regain her strength. It is a little challenging as Mum and Dad live about 3 and a half hours from my home, so i'm really beginning to miss home now, and my husband & family, but should be able to go home on Monday (tag team with my sister) and then I'll be back next weekend ... this is a new feeling for all my siblings and I, as we've been pretty lucky and our parents haven't really had much sickness in their lives, and dad just turned 85 yesterday!! Mum is 75 and has always looked after Dad in his declining years, he's a bit doddery, but his mind is still very active and keeps us all on our toes, lol!!
with my visits to and from the hospital, I've missed quite a few days of tracking my food intake, and really, when i think about it, have only had a couple of times where I've made bad choices, and the batteries in mum's scales have died, so I have no way of monitoring where I am, but it will be interesting to get back home and see what my own scales say - i just know i'm not ready to stop recording my food intake as a standard thing, I have to get back into that today I think ... in fact, I should go and write down my breakfast things now, lol!! thanks again for everyone's support, it is so reassuring!!!
cheers,
fee :)
feebeejay

Postby Blitz » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:00 am

You get to an age where suddenly you have to step up and starting looking after the affairs and health of your parents.
It is frustrating for them because they are the ones who for so long were responsible for their own affairs AND yours.
It is also hard on you as well.
It is difficult to watch the decline of those you love and looked towards for support in your life and endeavours.

The other thing that happens as you get older is the conversations with your siblings changes.
You know that you have reached this stage in your life when your conversations with your siblings are about what parts of your body is giving out and how you can't do what you once were able to do! :shock: :lol:

At this time of life it is good to reflect on these matters.
They underscore your morality for you and concentrates the mind to do something about the weight problem!
Nothing like death lurking in the wings to motivate change in one's life! :shock: :lol:

Buy some batteries for those scales - or bring your scales with you (they will enjoy the holiday :wink: ).
Keep tracking your food as best as you can if you find that is helpful for you.
I never counted a calorie during my weight loss journey but I just developed a feel about healthy and portion size.
Even if you don't track everything I'm sure experience has also given you skill enough to do the same and keep you within limits. 8)

You can do this Fiona. If you can lose one kilo; then you can lose many - just do it one kilo at a time...and keep it off forever!

Kim
Blitz

Postby Divalicious » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:54 pm

Hey Fiona,
I've counted calories, tracking my intake everyday for the last (almost) 2 years EXCEPT for when I was on holidays!! During those times I would often "guesstimate" my intake, and as long as I made healthy choices and exercised (generally lots of walking) it all came out in the wash!! :wink:
I won't say don't worry about tracking, but rather, just be mindful that you're on a holiday and should relax a little, but not TOO MUCH; you don't want to undo all your hard work!! :oops:
You'll be right, just take it one step (and 100 grams) at a time; you'll get to where you want to be; you'll see!! :wink: :D
60.0kg - Goal weight
63.3kg - Current weight

Divalicious

Postby feebeejay » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:07 am

Well, I managed to fix the batteries on mums scales and they were surprisingly close to my own when I got back home yesterday - and yep Divalicious, you are right, although I did slip up, I still recorded a small loss, 600g less than my last weigh in at home before I left, so now having lost a total of 8 kg from my heaviest. While I was feeling ok about it, I'm a little disappointed I slipped up and could potentially have had a bigger result if I'd been 'good'. However, on the bright side, it was still a loss and I'm happy with that, at the end of the day, it's not too bad given the emotional trap it could have been.

I like the perspective of if I've lost 1kg, then I can lose many, thanks Kim, I think that somehow makes it all seem so much more achievable ... and it makes so much sense!! So, am back on track this week, mum is doing so much better, although will be in hospital a few weeks I reckon, it's all looking fairly positive I must say :) :)

Just also embarked on my new study journey which is going to be a bit of a challenge after not studying for about 6 years ... This is a four year (part time) endeavour (masters in Social Work) and already there feels like an awful lot to do, and it's only week 1!! Just have to be mindful of procrastination and snacking traps - guess as long as they are healthy snacks it don't be too much of a big deal!!

Oh!!! And my new fitbit Charge HR told me today I did the equivalent of walking up the stairs 16 times!!! Not sure I believe it, but I guess it's giving me a benchmark to aim for!
Cheers,
Fee :)
feebeejay

Postby Blitz » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:38 am

When people ask me how I lost 87 kilos, my standard reply is "One sweat drop at a time."
In a very real sense this light hearted answer is right on the money.
Weight loss is a process of losing weight one bit (whether measured in sweat drops or kilos) at a time.
Consistency is the key. I was always concerned with the daily battle rather than the overall weight war.
My aim was to weigh less than my weigh in the day before.
I wasn't always successful but that was my aim and purpose.

When I discovered that my weight loss goal was 87 kilos I did pause for a bit thinking that it seemed a very large number.
But I settled myself down by say that it was what it was and that if that was what it is then that is what I had to lose.
I put it on - I had to take it off.
I don't think at the time that it even sunk into my skull that it was over half of what I weighed then.
Probably a good thing...it might have scared me off!
Ignorance is bliss some times...and I knew nothing...so it all seemed doable.
My simple approach was; lose one kilo - then do it again 86 times!
In reality it worked out harder than that - but basically the approached worked.

Just realised in my last post I wrote "morality" when I should have written "mortality".
Amazing what I difference one letter makes.
To quote Maxwell Smart; "Missed it by that much!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kim
Attachments
Max Smart.png
Max Smart.png (55.55 KiB) Viewed 555 times
Blitz

PreviousNext

Return to Personal Progress