It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:54 pm

Free Newsletter

The road to a better Rocca

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Re: The road to a better Rocca

Postby Blitz » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:27 am

Rocca wrote:I get what you're saying and this is actually a good point about no days off when gaining. This was a really special occasion that only comes once a year, but I know there will be others like this - birthdays, Christmas... and just because it's a special occasion doesn't mean we have to eat any less healthier than normal. So I will keep that in mind next time.

You've got it.
This is the sort of thing that gets learnt/reinforced by our weight loss journey.
Coming to grips with it now saves a lot of heartache and angst later.

Rocca wrote:Agree, I knew they were bad choices at the time. I don't drink much at all, and any other alcohol I have I build into my calorie intake. I could have easily done without the popcorn. I would have normally made much worse choices on a night like that so I did recognise the improvement but will aim for better next time.

I always find this fascinating...its never "oops - I forgot that I wasn't suppose to eat that"...we always do these things wilfully and with purpose. This is where the battle gets real. How to we stop ourselves from undermining our progress? These things are part of the learning. As you have pointed out above...you are making better choices - and will make even better choices with experience and greater skills!

Rocca wrote:Weigh-in Wednesday...
End of week 4: 82.5kg (0.1kg loss)
Loss since SW: 3.2kg

Always happy to see a loss. :D
I know it doesn't seem much but it does keep you moving in the right direction.
The alcohol will move out of your system reasonably quickly and you will find that you should see next week's number will deliver a better result.
This week has given you some good lessons to learn - get them under your belt and there will be no stopping you! 8)
Believe it or not Rocca...I think you are doing it all really well! :)

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby DD Diva » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:51 am

Hey Rocca,

Well done on the loss, albeit it small, it's still a loss and as such, a source of boasting....YOU'VE EARNT the pat on the back; so bathe in it; you've done very well. :wink:

Kim, wrote some very insightful stuff above, and I'm afraid I can add much to match, except to say (like him) I believe you can do this too!!! :wink:

Keep at it, and you'll get there, and in the meantime we're all here for you (and each other too). :D
DD Diva

Postby Rocca » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:25 am

This week was the first week I had a go at having some bad food in moderation. Before now I had been too scared I wouldn't be able to do it (and I probably wouldn't). I had one serving size (20g) of Shapes. I was surprised and impressed when I was satisfied with that. I did have the thought that I could have another serving size as I still had calories left for the day but I wanted to show myself that I was stronger than the food and also that I would keep to the decision I had originally made to only have one.
I found myself feeling lucky to be having a treat, rather than feeling cheated by not being able to devour the entire packet. I do everything by the serving size now - my kitchen scales are my new best friend! I feel a little anxious when I don't know how much of something I am having as I can't count the calories accurately.

Weigh-in day today...
End of week 5: 81.5kg (1.0kg loss)
Loss since SW: 4.2kg
Rocca

Postby Blitz » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:39 am

Good work losing 1.0kg...that is the sort of healthy weight loss organisations like Weightwatchers recommend.

Glad to see you taking steps in working out how to make your healthy lifestyle your own. All things in moderation is a good way to look at this whole food situation. Those things that pack more calories in them just require more moderation. My approach to food from the beginning was never to think of food as either "bad" or "good"...for in truth all food is morally neutral. For example; an axe is a useful tool that serves well to chop wood but if it is used to kill a person then it is an abuse of what it was designed for.

I like to think in terms of that nothing is forbidden and that all food is either "helpful" and "unhelpful" in my aims. That is some foods are more useful in helping me achieve my weight goals while others are less helpful. Having said that, there are some "helpful" foods that I just don't like the taste of...and it would not be in my interest to have them as regulars on my menu (yoghurt is one such food for me - I know it is healthy but I just don't like the taste). On the other hand, there are foods that are not very helpful but I love the taste. Those sorts of foods I'll find a (moderate) place for and work my food intake around them to accommodate them.

The main thing is for each individual to find a healthy lifestyle (including food intake) that they can live with. What has to be avoided at all costs is adopting a "cookie cutter" approach and use slavishly someone else's tastes. These formal diets just set people up for failure...because they set fences up around certain foods and write the word "forbidden". Human nature being what it is has always found a fatal attraction for such forbidden fruits and have readily partaken of them. For people trying to lose weight that is a deadly position to be in.

After a while you will develop skills enough to get a "gut feel" about what each food can offer you and you won't have to rely on your kitchen scales so much.

It has been a good week for you Rocca...be proud and keep walking forward! 8)
Kim
Blitz

Postby DD Diva » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:00 am

Rocca wrote:I found myself feeling lucky to be having a treat, rather than feeling cheated by not being able to devour the entire packet. I do everything by the serving size now - my kitchen scales are my new best friend! I feel a little anxious when I don't know how much of something I am having as I can't count the calories accurately.

Weigh-in day today...
End of week 5: 81.5kg (1.0kg loss)
Loss since SW: 4.2kg

CONGRATS!!!! I.0kg very nice, and well done there, Rocca!!! :wink:

I can soooooooooooooooo relate to the kitchen scale friendship; I have two girlfriends, one of my friends is wall attached and the other is a portable one (the same size and thickness of your common floor tile) that I use EVERY TIME I go to grab anything that isn't pre-measured (which isn't much, so my girls get quite the workout!!!) :lol: :lol:

I used to be pretty "anal" with my calories, and need to know EXACTLY how much I was putting into my mouth, but these days I'm less obsessive about it than I was at the beginning of the journey. I occasionally will "guessimate" going on previous menu selections, but for the most part, it's more about portion control than actual caloric value. Don't get me wrong, I still weigh pretty much EVERYTHING but I just don't fuss too much if it's a bit more calories than I planned, I'll just do an extra 10 mins on the treadmill or exercise bike, or walk around the block a few more times!!! :wink: :lol:
DD Diva

Postby Tams » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:43 pm

Well done - that's great going both on the weight loss and on the brain re-orientation!
Tams

Postby Rocca » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:33 pm

Thanks guys for the encouragement, but I'm afraid it's confession time.

Yesterday was the first time I had an "I'm just going to eat this now and think about it later" moment since I started nearly six weeks ago. It was a lemon meringue tart thing and I don't even particularly like tart/cake things but I just wanted to binge to satisfy... I don't know what? And deliberately told myself not to think about it until afterwards. I'm worried this is a cause of me thinking (falsely) that I can control myself around "unhelpful" foods.

Maybe it was too soon to introduce them into my diet. I'm back on track today with no cravings for junk food, so I don't feel like I completely fell off the wagon, but I did decide for some reason that I could make Sunday a treat day. Is this a result of being too restrictive during the week or just losing some self control/thinking it was OK to throw bad foods back into the mix because I could handle it?

I'm heading interstate for a week tomorrow and worried about finding good options while staying in hotels. It's the first holiday I've had in a long time and I want to find a way to relax, not have to worry about food, but not do anything I will regret either.

Will have to weigh in a day early tomorrow before I head off so will see what damage the meringue has done! Not looking forward to it...
Rocca

Postby DD Diva » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:32 pm

Rocca wrote:Yesterday was the first time I had an "I'm just going to eat this now and think about it later" moment since I started nearly six weeks ago. It was a lemon meringue tart thing and I don't even particularly like tart/cake things but I just wanted to binge to satisfy... I don't know what? And deliberately told myself not to think about it until afterwards. I'm worried this is a cause of me thinking (falsely) that I can control myself around "unhelpful" foods.

Don't be so hard on yourself Rocca, none of us are immune to these moments, and in reality the occasional momentary lapse can be undone fairly quickly (sometime before it even shows up on the scales) with a little extra activity and better food choices leading up to weigh in. I've found that it's not the one meal, but the series or string of snacks/meals that follow on from the one session that is hard to undo!!! :oops: I've had HEAPS of binges, nothing short of pure gluttony but after I had my fill, moved forward and backward and sideways and basically in any direction I could to exercise it off!!! :lol: :lol: And you know, it came off reasonably well, sometimes before weigh in day, sometimes with the odd 100g to boot. It sounds good, but I have to wonder now, how much more I could have lost that week had I not had the massive "pig out"!!! :oops: :roll:

Nevertheless, the key to success in your weight loss journey, isn't perfection!! Don't try to be a martyr with respect to food, it is there to be enjoyed, but IN MODERATION. And the occasional indulgence is okay, as long as its small and infrequent. Deprivation is an enemy to long term success, but moderation is a trusted friend in your battle with the bulge!!! Eat healthy, move lots and (on occasion) a little treat will help remind you that living a healthy lifestyle doesn't mean TOTAL ABANDONMENT of all naughty foods (so long as it is WITHIN MODERATION) that is, stop at ONE piece of cake not ONE WHOLE CAKE!!!! :wink: :lol:

Don't stress too much about what's done, tomorrow is another day!!

As for your holiday.....time to relax and enjoy a break but (if you can manage it) don't venture too far from your routine BUT....if you do, don't feel bad, just hold your head up high and WALK IT OFF!!! :wink: :lol: :lol:
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:05 am

Rocca wrote:Thanks guys for the encouragement, but I'm afraid it's confession time.

The key to success is to keep it honest and keep accountable. The fact that you have come here and posted this is all for the good! 8)

Rocca wrote:Yesterday was the first time I had an "I'm just going to eat this now and think about it later" moment since I started nearly six weeks ago. It was a lemon meringue tart thing and I don't even particularly like tart/cake things but I just wanted to binge to satisfy... I don't know what? And deliberately told myself not to think about it until afterwards. I'm worried this is a cause of me thinking (falsely) that I can control myself around "unhelpful" foods.

Understand how the mind plays out in situations like this. The way to combat this sort of lax thinking is continue to push the urgency of weight loss to the fore of your mind. With each volley of slack thinking return it with a ace return...whack! - "if I have this I won't reach goal"...whack! - "I've eaten enough tarts/cakes to last me a life time...I've eaten my share...it isn't mine to have now"...whack! - "I'm healthy now...the new me doesn't eat rubbish like this now". Temptations work because they fester. To deal with them effectively you have got to shut them down quickly.
It isn't a question of will power - it is a question of good practice.

Rocca wrote:Maybe it was too soon to introduce them into my diet. I'm back on track today with no cravings for junk food, so I don't feel like I completely fell off the wagon, but I did decide for some reason that I could make Sunday a treat day. Is this a result of being too restrictive during the week or just losing some self control/thinking it was OK to throw bad foods back into the mix because I could handle it?

The key element is the word "moderation". If moderation can't be achieved then that sort of food is best avoided. Don't be surprised if it takes a while for you to get the hang of dealing with these sorts of foods. After all, this type of food is closely linked to your old lifestyle and carries all that baggage as well. New habits take time to establish and these old habits (of eating unhealthily) are ever ready to push their way back into your life. Vigilance should be your watch word!

Here is something that I did for foods that really worked their way into my head that I found very helpful...
I do our weekly shopping. One day, shortly after I started to lose weight I found that a display of glass bottles of Coke (not the cans or the plastic bottles...just those classic ones...connecting right back to my childhood memories) at the supermarket was weaving it's siren's song at me. Each week I would go past it being sorely tempted. I knew that something had to be done about it or I would give in and glutton out.
So I made a bargain with myself. I could have it (thus removing the "forbidden" tag) but only if I earned it! I used it as a driver towards weight loss rather than having it sabotaging me. I could have one glass bottle BUT ONLY IF I LOST TEN KILOS. So that's what I did. Interestingly, having set the premise for it - the urgency for it went away. After losing ten kilos I bought it and had it as my reward. By that time (one month) I had worked Coke out of my system and no longer enjoyed the taste (far too sugary!). This litre of coke a day man had broken the habit...it no longer tempted me. I continued the practice with other things. Most went the same way as Coke with only a few (mushroom pie for example) remained in my life. Even those however were no longer temptations as I learnt to eat them moderately.

Rocca wrote:I'm heading interstate for a week tomorrow and worried about finding good options while staying in hotels. It's the first holiday I've had in a long time and I want to find a way to relax, not have to worry about food, but not do anything I will regret either.

Will have to weigh in a day early tomorrow before I head off so will see what damage the meringue has done! Not looking forward to it...

Keep striving to have a healthy lifestyle even on holiday. You can eat well...just make sure you don't eat too much. Consider exercise as part of your holiday fun. Not only lots of "incidental" exercise but try working in some formal ones as well. One of the things I've enjoyed in my new healthy lifestyle is jogging around new places in my holidays...gives you a great new way of seeing these places.

Looking forward to your weight in.
I'm excited by your journey so far...you are coming to grips with some very important issues and doing very well indeed! 8)

Kim
Blitz

Postby Rocca » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:02 am

Quick weigh-in post (a day early this week)...
End of week 6: 81.3kg (0.2kg loss)
Loss since SW: 4.4kg

Happy with a small loss (bigger than my previous small-week losses).
Will post some responses to your advice later, for now it's time to board a flight to Perth (maybe we'll bump into each other on our jogs Kim :P)
Rocca

Postby Blitz » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:07 am

Rocca wrote:Quick weigh-in post (a day early this week)...
End of week 6: 81.3kg (0.2kg loss)
Loss since SW: 4.4kg

Happy with a small loss (bigger than my previous small-week losses).
Will post some responses to your advice later, for now it's time to board a flight to Perth (maybe we'll bump into each other on our jogs Kim :P)

A small loss...but big lessons learnt!
You are doing really well...just think - 4.4kg down already! You've got to be pleased with that! 8)

Welcome to Perth! I hope you enjoy your stay. :D

I don't think we will be bumping into each other jogging unless you are staying in the northern suburbs (around Mirrabooka way) - and enjoy jogging around midnight like I do! :shock: :lol:
If you are staying in the city centre I can recommend jogging by the Swan River. Great tracks and views.
If you do want to catch up (maybe talk weight loss with me) just PM me. Maybe I can take you and yours out to Kings Park at night and show you the lights of the city. I've taken a number of international and interstate visitors there and they have enjoyed it. :)

Kim
Blitz

Postby Rocca » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:18 am

How funny, I used to come to stay with my Mum in Alexander Heights. They recently moved to Whiteman Edge though so I was just a bit further away!
I didn't count calories while I was away and had a couple of splurges. No where near as bad as I would normally do on holidays but I was suspecting there might be a gain today.

End of week 7: 82.2kg (0.9kg gain)
Loss since SW: 3.5kg

Undoing 2 weeks of work there but I'll just have to get back into it... And back to counting calories.
Rocca

Postby Blitz » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:03 am

Welcome back! :)
Going on holidays and losing weight is a tough ask of anyone.
I went to Sydney for six days and ended up with 0.6kg gain when I was losing weight.
That was with eight months of weight loss experience and 65kilos lost under my (loose) belt.
It takes a lot of skill and wiles to be successful at it.
You are just starting out so take your 0.9kg gain with the understanding that it could have been far worse.

Again, don't waste the experience.
Figure out ways that you could have done it better and keep those ideas at the ready for next time.

Time for you now it regain your momentum.
Dust yourself off and goal the task ahead to reclaim the ground lost. 8)
I believe you can do it...now go and prove me right! :D

Kim
ps You should have met up with me...I would have guilt you to exercise more on your holidays. :lol: :wink:
Blitz

Postby DD Diva » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:43 am

Rocca wrote:
End of week 7: 82.2kg (0.9kg gain)
Loss since SW: 3.5kg

Undoing 2 weeks of work there but I'll just have to get back into it... And back to counting calories.

Hey Rocca,
Not too bad; I've done a lot worse whilst on holidays!! :oops: At least you didn't put on a (full) kilo!! :wink:
Don't worry too much; it's a new week and you'll lose that gain fairly quickly if you get straight back on the wagon!! It's only a small glitch; you can undo this with a little effort!! Go girl.... :wink:
DD Diva

Postby Rocca » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:31 am

Did a sneaky weigh-in again this morning just to check if I was still on the way up... and I'm back down to 81.5, which is only a 0.2kg gain from last week. Could just be a normal fluctuation but hoping that's a good sign that I did actually do OK while I was away. Could've just be some alcohol weight that I've already gotten rid of. But not using that as an excuse to slack off! The little progress I have made so far is so motivating to get to my goal weight, I know I can do it.

The two major things I did differently on my holiday was firstly, make an effort to do some sort of physical activity every day. Sometimes it wasn't much, just a walk, but with all that extra time it was so easy to make sure I had some time to be active. Secondly, on most days, I stuck to just having three meals a day. Because they were usually out at restaurants, they were big meals, which I never at all of, but enough to leave me full until the next meal. And even though I was surrounded by chocolate and chips (the girl I went with had stocked up) I usually didn't feel like eating them, even when I was sitting around just watching TV or something. The few bits of junk food I did have left me satisfied instead of craving more. I think I've turned a corner with the way I look at food and the types of food I crave (can't keep track of how often I crave an apple!). I'm really excited for a new me.
Rocca

PreviousNext

Return to Personal Progress