It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:33 am

Free Newsletter

The road to a better Rocca

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Re: The road to a better Rocca

Postby DD Diva » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:37 pm

Rocca wrote:Did a sneaky weigh-in again this morning just to check if I was still on the way up... and I'm back down to 81.5, which is only a 0.2kg gain from last week. Could just be a normal fluctuation but hoping that's a good sign that I did actually do OK while I was away. Could've just be some alcohol weight that I've already gotten rid of. But not using that as an excuse to slack off! The little progress I have made so far is so motivating to get to my goal weight, I know I can do it.

The two major things I did differently on my holiday was firstly, make an effort to do some sort of physical activity every day. Sometimes it wasn't much, just a walk, but with all that extra time it was so easy to make sure I had some time to be active. Secondly, on most days, I stuck to just having three meals a day. Because they were usually out at restaurants, they were big meals, which I never at all of, but enough to leave me full until the next meal. And even though I was surrounded by chocolate and chips (the girl I went with had stocked up) I usually didn't feel like eating them, even when I was sitting around just watching TV or something. The few bits of junk food I did have left me satisfied instead of craving more. I think I've turned a corner with the way I look at food and the types of food I crave (can't keep track of how often I crave an apple!). I'm really excited for a new me.

ATTA GIRL ROCCA!!!! :wink:

I knew you'd shed that holiday gain in no time flat!! Bit by bit, you'll chip away at it, till its all but a distant memory!!! Keep going, you'll knock it over easily!!! :wink:

As for how you handled yourself during your holidays; that's awesome!!! WELL DONE!!! :D Your approach and attitude to food/eating and activity is probably what prevented you from hitting the 1kg gain; so great stuff, good going with that!!! Just think, by the time you go off on another holiday, you'll be a real pro at handling difficult food situations, and should come back if not the same as when you left, maybe even lighter!!! :wink:
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:32 am

Rocca wrote: I think I've turned a corner with the way I look at food and the types of food I crave (can't keep track of how often I crave an apple!). I'm really excited for a new me.

You are doing very well Rocca.
I'm impressed how well you have strived to make a healthy lifestyle work in your life. :D

You are discovering that once you have "cleansed" your palate of sugar and fat overload that healthy foods really turn on your taste buds. 8)
I fully understand that apple craving...I think that I've eaten more apples in the last three and a half years (since starting this healthy journey) than previous fifty years combined! :lol:

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby Rocca » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:10 pm

Ah crap. After such positive feedback I think I have to admit I've come unstuck since my holiday. Calorie counting was what kept me accountable day by day and I haven't counted since before I went away. I thought I was doing OKish without counting but in reality I've been slowly creeping back to my old ways. Today I had chips and all I could focus on was eating them. It wasn't until after that I remembered just how many calories they have/how hard I would have to work to burn them off, how bad they would make my skin (because this is actually a strong motivator for me) and how much I don't want to gain weight. Quite disappointed in myself. :(

As for this morning's weigh-in...
End of week 8: 82.1kg (0.1kg loss)
Loss since SW: 3.6kg

I'm glad I'm not gaining, at the very least, I've got that under control. But I need to keep my calorie intake down to actually lose. I will try again tomorrow.

P.S. I can not do chips in moderation. They are officially OUT of my diet. And trying to do anything similar to them like pretzels doesn't work either. The only salty savoury snack I can do in mod is popcorn or nuts (unsalted).
Rocca

Postby Blitz » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:33 pm

That's the problem with holidays - they mess up the rhythm of the healthy lifestyle you are trying to put together. Even at maintenance stage with a couple years of experience I still approach holidays and the aftermath with caution. Just keep to the basics and you'll get your mojo back. 8)

There are things that you eat that can act as triggers for poor eating. Whilst I'm a great believer that there is no such thing as good or bad food (all food is morally neutral) and think more in terms of helpful and unhelpful foods, I do recognise that certain foods can "press our buttons". These are "good times memory foods" which are deeply rooted in our psyche (often forming some of our earliest childhood memories). The emotional connection with them can be so powerful it is best to avoid them as much as possible until you have a more skills to deal with them.

Another way to deal with these kinds of foods is to use them as a reward rather than a stick to hurt yourself with. Allow yourself the luxury of a (small) bag of chips BUT only once you have lost a set amount of weight to earn it. My reward came after losing 10 kilos - you may want to reward yourself after 5 kilos. This method does a number of things...firstly, it removes that dreadful FORBIDDEN tag from it. It replaces instant gratification with earned reward. It provides a time out for the mind to think about if it really wants it or if it is a whim. Removes guilt from the equation. And lastly, provides time for your healthy palate to kick in...my first reward was a (small) glass bottle of coke - by the time I had earned the reward...I was over the taste of coke big time - far too sugary.

Keep learning - keeping on going! :D

Kim
Blitz

Postby Rocca » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:18 am

Hi guys...

So I've been in hiding a few weeks... I was struggling with getting back on track for a while and now I'm having to deal with some really hard things in my life at the moment, but have surprisingly managed to keep the weight loss in mind.

Now that I'm at a new low weight (only by 100g), I'm feeling safe to come back and confess the last few weeks.

End of week 9: 83.1kg (1kg gain) - hated seeing 83 again.
End of week 10: 82.6kg (0.5kg loss)
End of week 11 (today): 81.4kg (1.2kg loss)
Loss since SW: 4.3kg

I hope you are all going well with your challenges and goals leading up to Christmas.
Rx
Rocca

Postby Blitz » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:03 am

It is good that you are back and being accountable.
It is natural to go into hiding when you have no success - but I wish that it wasn't so!

It is precisely when things aren't going well that you need support and feedback!
Remember there is no condemnation here...we are all to aware how hard it is.
It is our shared experience that can help in the tough times.
I wish I had known about this Forum when I was losing weight...
The knowledge and encouragement I would have received would have made my journey so much easier (and quicker too!).

Just keep concentrating on the basics. Put together just one good day - one day a time and you'll get there.

Good to see you have made up the lost ground! :D
Now press on to greater victory! 8)

We are always here for you...the good times and the bad, okay?

Kim
Blitz

Previous

Return to Personal Progress