It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:51 pm

Free Newsletter

Enough is enough - the time starts now

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Enough is enough - the time starts now

Postby Samwich » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:13 am

Hey fellas.

Jumping on this forum to give my self a boost to help myself loose weight.

My story goes a little like this:
Ive always been the "bigger boy" in my family. And have never really been happy with my weight
Most of my life ive delt with it as my fitness was what i say extremely good at my weight level

I used to be extremely active, tennis, soccer, spearfishing(breath hold was over 2 minutes) fishing hunting etc.

I can not remember ever fitting into M clothes and have always been on the chubby side.

Im 24yo, have a desk job, and Mrs and alot of responsibilities and the weight has caught up.
I remember stressing in high school when i ticked over 100kgs and have kept creeping up..

About 2 months ago, i hired a mate who had been on a health kick and he got my journy started.
I didnt want to weigh myself when i started but estimate 134kg

---Progress---
First weigh in:
After heading to the gym 4-5 nights a week, i finally gave into weight myself as the motivation i saw on this sight by recording your weight was great

First weigh in was 128.8kgs

In the 5-6 weeks then, this morning i weighed in at 118.3kgs so slowly going down.

Im jumping on this forum to gain both inspiration and advice from people that have taken this journey.

Ill update what ive been doing soon

Cheers,
Samwich

Re: Enough is enough - the time starts now

Postby Samwich » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:24 am

Short Version:

Start date: 11th April 2016

Start weight: 134kg (estimated)
First weigh: 128.6kgs:
Current weight: 118.3kgs
Goal weight: < 100kgs

What I've changed:
Gym 4-5 nights a week (The below are switched around, and I did have one week I missed completely)
Night 1: 10-15mins bike (Get a sweat/until pre trainer kicks in) + Shoulders
Night 2: Bike + Arms
Night 3: Bike + Chest
Night 4: Bike + Back
Night 5: Bike + Core (Only just started this

Weekend I normally go for a fish which includes a 4-12hour day up and down mountains
Samwich

Postby Samwich » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:33 am

--------Eating Habits---------

Breakfast:
First 2 weeks I started having muesli. I stopped this (Need to start it again)
Medium Barista Cappuccino with 1 sugar (Dropped from large with 2 sugars)

Lunch:
Eating salad at work. First 3 weeks I made my own, Last 3 weeks I've been buying from the local salad shop due to convenience

Dinner:
Having the same meals I would normally have. These are not the "healthiest" meals but aren't bad. the reason behind this is ive tried just salad, and just plain chicken etc and have always reverted to bad food.
Fish, Chicken, Steak are weekly.

Take away:
First 3 weeks I had nothing,
Last 3 weeks I've gotten 1 meal a week which isn't good (Turkish or similar)
I had dropped soft drink completely
Samwich

Postby Samwich » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:38 am

Gym has been helping me both lose weight and gain long missed muscle.
I am having pre-trainer to help with energy levels.
I'm not having any other supplements.

Does anyone have advice on what I can do to maximize the effectiveness of my weight loss?
Things I can do at home?
Any thing that I should change in my details above?

----------------
Im heading overseas for a month fishing trip with 3 mates in just over 2 weeks.
I wont have access to the gym there. But we will be walking rivers fishing daily.

What exercises can I do daily to help continue my weight loss gains?
I will try my hardest to eat the best over there, but there will be some stages where I will have unhealthy food.

Thanks in advance for the advice,
Cheers
Sam
Samwich

Postby Blitz » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:45 pm

Good on you Sam for continuing. :D

Here are a few tips to get you started...

Firstly - Eat a decent breakfast. It is no accident that most overweight people either have woeful breakfasts or skip it entirely. A good breakfast will set you up for a successful day. If you are going to pig out - this is the part of the day to do it!( :shock: )

Your lunch is alright but not very creative. Home made will always be better because the big "sin" in salad is the dressing and at home you can control that. Also there are other things apart from salad that are easier to manage. Check out this website for creative food suggestions.

Dinners are where the battle is played out. At your stage of the game figuring out healthy options (I like to call them short cuts to success) hasn't caught on yet...that will come with experience. The most important thing you can do is watch your potion size. When I first started the best thing I did for myself (apart from eating a good breakfast) was to half my food portion. The thinking was if I was twice the size I should have been (actually I was more than that - 153.7kg!) then eating half of what I was eating would be a good idea.
Again - check out this place for good healthy tasty food recipes...there's more to healthy food than salad! :lol:
As you get more fit and healthy, you will start to crave more green based foods. Your taste buds will rid itself of the sugar and fat bias and you'll be able to develop a more subtle taste palette. I use to deride salads and the like as "rabbit food" - and now I glory in making my own concoctions of tasty delights!

Lose the takeaway!...that is part of your old lifestyle. Develop new habits and break old associations. You will find that your new taste buds will eventually revolt against it anyway. When I was losing weight at the beginning, my family had our weekly takeaway at a more "healthy" place than the ones we use to indulge in. After a few months I just couldn't stomach it any more. It all was so plastic and processed...my body craved real food! Glad to hear that you have dropped the soft drink. Once I was a litre or more a day man - now I can't stand the stuff! Soooo much sugar in it and yet in the bad old days I couldn't taste it at all.

As for exercise...keep mixing it up. Never fall into a complacent routine (routinely exercise daily though!) and allowing the body to feel comfortable. Vary your type of exercise and durations. And remember if you ain't sweating it - then you ain't working it. Having just said that, please note the overriding rule...listen to your body! Push yourself but never break yourself!...you are no good to yourself if you are broken and injured.

The key thing for home (and fishing trips too) is to keep your butt moving. Keep off the couch and out of the fridge and keep moving! If you go to bed really really tired and sleep the sleep of angels - then you WILL lose weight the next day.

Hope these tips are a helpful start.
Feel free to ask for any clarifications.
Wishing you all success on your journey to a better future!

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby Carlos » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:32 pm

Great work so far Sam!

Some advice I will give you is to not worry about supplements and all that stuff. Just your plain old water is all you need.

Don't overcomplicate things, just eat sensibly and work out. You don't even need to work out that hard at first - it will drop off. As you get fitter you will start wanting to do more intense stuff

You will learn that it's technically very, very easy to lose weight, physically. It's just the mental side (resisting cravings, resisting going in for seconds at the dinner table, etc, etc) is the hardest part. Remain consistent for a month or 2 and it will be smooth sailing

Like Blitz said, mix up your exercise or you will get over doing the same stuff

Some exercises to do when you're getting bored with what you're currently doing:

Burpees. Done properly, this is one of the best exercises you could possibly do

Dips on your kitchen bench while waiting for the kettle to boil, etc

Skipping rope

I read that you used to play soccer.. So I'll assume that you have a ball at home! Juggling the ball for 20 minutes or so is a great workout

You could also download the p90x videos and do the plyometrics workout regularly without worrying about the other stuff. It's an awesome workout that will have you more agile in no time. It's a huge fat burner, too. I'm always dripping in sweat after it
http://www.weightloss.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13874&p=145759#p145759

Start: 135kg
Current: 85kg
Goal: 75kg
Carlos

Postby Carlos » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:37 pm

Also mate, drop the sugar. Get equal, splenda, etc if you need sweetening in your drinks. It tastes exactly the same and has no calories.

1 teaspoon on its own is not bad, however over a whole year it adds up
http://www.weightloss.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13874&p=145759#p145759

Start: 135kg
Current: 85kg
Goal: 75kg
Carlos

Postby Samwich » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:00 am

Bit of an update:

Went over sea's for a month and a bit. Ate like censored.
Luckily when I came back I had only put on 2kgs.

Due to the over seas trip, I didn't do my normal routine for 2 months (June/july)

-------------------
Start of August I started my journey again Weighed in at 119.8kgs.

I have had shitty take away 2 nights a week since then. But am now ditching the censored stuff and pushing harder to get quicker results
-----------
New Journey started Tuesday this week. I am going at it 100% now.(Will start these notes on a new post)
----
Samwich

Postby Samwich » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:06 am

August Health Kick (Note: might not lose as much as i'm putting on a lot of muscle in the process)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weigh in on Tuesdays:

16/8/16: 115.8kg
Samwich

Postby Blitz » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:55 pm

You did well only gaining 2 kilos on your holiday...many have done worse!
The best thing to do is get back as quickly as possible to the healthy practices you were doing before.
It is essential to develop healthy habits so that your healthy lifestyle becomes second nature and ingrained.

You are right in believing that you are building muscle.
This is the first thing that goes which may be why you seemingly only gained 2kg.
You've probably exchanged heavy muscle for more lighter fat.
The good news though is that recent gains usually are removed quicker by the body as it isn't "entrenched" deposits.
Rule of thumb...first on - last off but also last on - first off! :)
Building muscle is always the way to go for solid future success. 8)

Good on you for sticking it out of a tough time and remaining in the game!
All power to you for future success! :D

Kim
Blitz

Postby Samwich » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:15 am

So yesterday at the gym I finally got a body scan done. Mainly as something to work off month to month. As we all say, the more progress you see, the more motivated you get.
Weighed 115.7kgs on the scale (house scales are about .8 less)

The body scan came up surprisingly well in all counts another then weight.

- BMM (Body muscle mass) was above average, and in the "Over healthy" category.
*all muscles were even and in proportion to each other. Legs surprising were above all others. (ie cycling level) Which is good to see, as I have never done weights with legs, and don't run or ride. These fishing hill climbs must have kept all the memory in.
- Fluid Index was a high average.
- Weight was what let me down (Of course) being 23kgs above the "books" recommended weight. This would put me at 93kgs and 10% body fat.
*Main area of "let down" was the "Trunk". So that will be my main focus now as I haven't really worked that area.

I was a bit worried about the scan, and cancelled it a few times but im now very glad I did it. It now gives something on paper to work against and get me more motivated.

All in all, I scored 67/100. being 70+ = healthy.
Im glad to see what I've been doing has done something positive to my body, and I'm now determined as ever to push harder as for some reason the goal looks closer then its ever been.

I recommend anyone who's trying to get the motivation to lose weight, to get a body scan as soon as they can and go at it.
Samwich

Postby Blitz » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:23 pm

Samwich wrote:So yesterday at the gym I finally got a body scan done. Mainly as something to work off month to month. As we all say, the more progress you see, the more motivated you get.
Weighed 115.7kgs on the scale (house scales are about .8 less)

It is good to get imperial measures of your progress.
Knowing where you have been/are now helps you gauge the journey to success.

Scales can differ from one another greatly. The important thing to compare oranges with oranges and not with apples.
Use the same set of scales, wear the same clothes (or not!) and weigh in around the same time of the day.
The last point is important - because the body fluctuates greatly in the course of a day.

Samwich wrote:The body scan came up surprisingly well in all counts another then weight.

- BMM (Body muscle mass) was above average, and in the "Over healthy" category.
*all muscles were even and in proportion to each other. Legs surprising were above all others. (ie cycling level) Which is good to see, as I have never done weights with legs, and don't run or ride. These fishing hill climbs must have kept all the memory in.

The leg muscle shouldn't be a surprise. The secret vanity that many overweight people carry is that they often consider that they have great muscular legs (particularly the calves!). What is often overlooked is the reason why they are so muscular. They are usually the only part of the body getting a regular workout! My old body's legs was holding up 87 kilos of extra weight 24/7. No wonder they were muscular! :shock: :lol:

Samwich wrote:- Fluid Index was a high average.

Fluid retention often means the body is making more muscle.
All that exercise is paying off. You are regain lost muscle...good work!

Samwich wrote:- Weight was what let me down (Of course) being 23kgs above the "books" recommended weight. This would put me at 93kgs and 10% body fat.
*Main area of "let down" was the "Trunk". So that will be my main focus now as I haven't really worked that area.

Care should be taken with dealing with "the books" when you have been really overweight.
"The books" don't account for people losing a great deal of weight.
There is no factoring in of the weight of loose skin that many end up with.
In my case I had factored in a very conservative goal weight (two thirds in the healthy range) but found myself seriously "skin and bone" when I got there. My maintenance weight range is two to three kilos heavier because I have now factored in the loose skin (and that is after my hernia operation that also removed about one to two kilos of loose skin from my gut).
On the normal charts I now am on the very edge of the healthy index for my height/gender and age...yet in truth I'm ridiculously healthy and super fit.

Samwich wrote:I was a bit worried about the scan, and cancelled it a few times but im now very glad I did it. It now gives something on paper to work against and get me more motivated.

All in all, I scored 67/100. being 70+ = healthy.
Im glad to see what I've been doing has done something positive to my body, and I'm now determined as ever to push harder as for some reason the goal looks closer then its ever been.

I recommend anyone who's trying to get the motivation to lose weight, to get a body scan as soon as they can and go at it.

A problem defined - is a problem half solved.
Even on the simplest level this is so true for the overweight.
How many years did I go without weighing myself? Decades!
As if not knowing what I weighed would make the problem not exist!
We don't want to know...only because if we do then we are forced to confront it - and may be do something about it. :roll:

Good job all round! :D
Kim
Blitz

Postby Samwich » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:30 am

Moving house is always stressfull. Along came the weight gain
16/8/16 - 115.8kgs
23/8/16 - 115.2kgs
30/8/16 - 116.8kgs (After moving houses... half a take away pizza, other censored food, a lot of coffees)
6/9/16 - 114.2kgs ( back on track)
Samwich

Postby Samwich » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:35 am

Been reading others stories on here, and one thing i'm yet to see a huge change in clothes sizes.
I seem to fit "better" in most of my clothes, and a few pants will fall around my ankles without a belt (These were always "baggy" on me anyway).
One thing ive notice that is holding me back on pants is my thigh size. I could possibly drop down a size around the waste, but the thighs say no.

A lot of other people seem to be changing clothe sizes regularly at the start of their journey. Hopefully ill start seeing a difference in the last part of mine.

Was 132kg
Now 114.2kg
lost 17.8kg
Samwich

Postby Blitz » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:23 pm

House moving is stressful...but I've found generally it is hugely tiring from hefting all those boxes around.
I've got a lots of stuff (mostly books) that weigh a ton once put into a small standard moving box.
I don't think I put on weight then (my house moves occurred in the days before I did anything about my weight let alone weigh myself) -
figured I would have lots weight from the sheer amount of exercise that I wasn't use to. :lol:

As for the clothes thing...I don't think that you do see much of a change at the beginning.
Most of that weight loss is lost "internally" (fat between the organs - that is why the first 10% fat loss is the healthiest) and also from "behind" you.
Generally weight is lost from areas at different times and places.
First on last off is a good rule of thumb. The last to go usually is the gut and the thighs. It will happen...and it will seem like it happened over night when it does. One of the wonders of my journey is the realisation that 87 kilos of me (over half of me) had just disappeared.
One day it was there - then it wasn't. Yet my weight loss journey records daily small losses only.
What I think happens is the mind holds onto the fat self image (creating the illusion that no great change is happening) and then suddenly gives it away when the reality of the new you can no longer be denied. This will happen with your friends too. It wasn't until I had lost well over 40 kilos before any of my friends took notice! :shock: :roll:

Kim
Blitz

Next

Return to Personal Progress