It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:53 pm

Free Newsletter

Draco's shrinkage.

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Draco's shrinkage.

Postby Draco » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:21 pm

Thought it was about time I started a progress page for me..

I guess it hasn't felt like progress up til now - but today I couldn't resist and weighed myself and I finally saw double digits on the scales again :D yay me! What a beautiful sight!

I think back to a couple of months ago and I could barely swim 5 laps of the pool and a 20 minute walk left me puffed..
Now I'm doing 20 laps of the pool every day and 3.2klms walking every other day.

Dietwise, I'm not doing terribly badly either.. I heard someone say a while back that you crave the foods you eat.. It made sense at the time (even though I didn't think I'd ever stop craving fat and sweet stuff) .. so I started eating mainly fruit.. pigging out on mangos and apples and sultanas.. and now that's what I crave..
(It's probably because of the high sugar content and I'm going to end up getting fat on fruit! - that'd be just my luck)
So now I'm introducing vegies as snack food too.. I rarely eat vegies.. so I've been cutting up carrot and celery and cucumber sticks and leaving them in a bowl on the very middle shelf of the fridge, so that I feel perfectly okay about going to the fridge and 'grazing' because I'm grazing on what I'm supposed to be eating more of anyways.

It seems like such a simple formula, doesn't it? .. Eat right and exercise.
That's really all we've got to do to lose weight - I've just got to keep at it. . Why the hell didn't I do it years ago?

Oh well.. There's no stopping me this time.
~die of nothing but a rage to live~

Draco

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:48 pm

hey yolanda well done
sounds like you have made some great decisions there. i think we all look at ourselves and think 'why didnt i do this sooner?' but i think you need to be in the right frame of mind. one day something just 'clicked' for me and i made the choice then and there to do something about my weight, and im sure you know what i mean! keep up the great work you should be proud. :)
kate_turner2000

Postby originalmel » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:55 pm

yeah Kate, that's exactly what happened to me. It was only 8 days ago mind you, so i still have a way to go. But at least i know I'll get there this time.

Everytime I get too far ahead of myself Yolanda, I think to myself "it's not raocket science, it's just food"

I helps me stay focused...
Mel

"Sugar is, essentially, a legalized recreational drug that's socially acceptable to consume."
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wozyNFd/]
[/url]
originalmel

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:07 pm

you have to start somewhere mel- i used to be where you are now and so have a lot of people on the forum who have lost quite a bit of weight. you are doing the right thing for yourself mate. as we all are.

hehe my ticker character is a little light bulb- he represents the 'click' in my head- but i better not mention it often or ill be shipped off to an asylum!
kate_turner2000

Postby slimmindown » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:24 pm

Swimming is fantastic isnt it, I started off the summer not being able to do 1/2 a lap of my local 50 metre pool, now do 35, who would of ever thought it possible :lol:

Sounds like you are very focused Yolanda , your going to go great guns, eating fruit and vegies is certainly the way to go, I think I'll cut up some carrot and stuff tomorrow, you've inspired me :lol: :lol:
[no excuses, I can do it!
slimmindown

Postby Draco » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:42 pm

Yeah.. I can definitely identify with that 'click' in my head moment.

I was feeling particularly down in the dumps.. Feeling unloved and unwanted and useless.. and I just sorta snapped out of it. Made up my mind that the only thing keeping me that way was me and the only thing that was going to get me out of it was me too.

And it just happened that the local council made the local swimming pool free at about that time.. so I decided to start going every day and building up a workout. .. I started at about 6 or 7 laps taking me half an hour..
And now I can do 20 in 40 mins.. I'm hoping to build that up to 30 in an hour and I know that I'll stop there and just get gradually faster and faster.

You guys are an inspiration to me. .. I love looking at your tickers and seeing things like "30kgs lost" ! ..Shows me that it can be done.. all I've got to do is

Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming! lol ... That echoes in my head in the pool - Dory's song..

Draco

Postby Ally » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:34 am

hehehehehehe I love Dory!!

Ok Kate I am dialling 1800Funnyfarm now for you dear...it is ok, just take some deep breaths and don't panic they said they would be there for you soon.....hehehehe

Hi Yolanda, you are doing the right thing by trial and error. Losing weight is like a game of chess...it takes strategy! The best way to learn is to make mistakes....keep eating your fruit, but a general guide is no more than 2-3 pieces of fruit for weight loss, but just watch out for the size of them...a large mango (i love them too!) can be worth up to 2-3 servings in itself. Dried fruit 20g is a serve of fruit. Things like kiwifruit, apricots and plums 2-3 of them is 1 serve. I like the vege sticks idea!! You could also add some tomato based salsa to it as well for a healthy snack!!

You are making some really good choices and remember to take it easy and learn from your food bungles and most importantly...relax a little!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Draco » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:17 am

What about vegies? Is there a limit on those?
My weakness is lazyness - when it occurs to me to 'graze', I just go to the fridge and pick at whatever is easiest - whatever my hands land on first..
So I've got to set myself up for success there or I'll screw up. I do the vegie sticks.. and cherry tomatoes (LOVE those) and snow peas and runner beans etc.. Just so there's little pieces of everything for me to pick at.. Then my head gets tricked into thinking that I've eaten and I can concentrate on what I'm doing again.

I just flat out refuse to buy biscuits and treats and things now.. Because I know I can't trust myself with them. .. I've never been able to just eat one of something.
I can't have one piece of chocolate and put the rest in the fridge.. It just sorta 'calls' to me until I've finished it. lol.. That's so pathetic.

I'm trying to tell myself that I'm 'rewarding' myself with a good workout. .. If I do something good, then I get to go and workout. :? .. Not sure that it's working yet.. but I know that if I just keep at it.. lol

Draco

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:29 am

i try to eat more than 3 cups of veg a day. ally is right about the fruit though but ive never heard of a limit on veg. yolanda good on you for not buying things you are going to give in to. until you are at the stage where you control that then you are doing the right thing. why not buy a tangilable reward like a new book or dvd or something - that way you have something to look forward to?

p.s. ally.. i wish they would take me a way i need a holiday! haha
kate_turner2000

Postby Draco » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:51 am

I'm definitely looking into more vegie choices.. just as quick snack options for my grazing moods..

I've worked out that having lots of options works for me. .. Then I don't feel like I've been denied choice.

I've thought about having a reward.. I think I'll buy myself something nice when I hit 10kgs.. It just hasn't really occured to me at this point that I'll get there, yanno?

Draco

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:52 am

just take it in your stride you will get there before you know it and then you have to decide what to buy yourself! lol
kate_turner2000

Postby Draco » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:58 am

It just seems like such a looooong way to go, yanno? ..That's why my ticker is a snail. (at least, I think that's what it is).. Coz it all just seems to be going soooo slowly.

It's nice to have found this forum though.. coz even though it seems a long way away, it doesn't feel out of my reach anymore.

Draco

Postby Draco » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:28 pm

All of yesterday's lovely motivation has disappeared out the window this morning..
I'm not at all hungry.. I just don't wanna eat *anything*, though I know I should.. So I'm trying to force some fruit down so I'll have the energy to do my swimming this afternoon.

These are the worst days, I reckon.. the days when you have to force yourself to do it.

I wanna be little again!
I wanna be little again!
I wanna be little again!

Draco

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:30 pm

you have days where you have to force yourself to eat?! heck its the other way around for me! i usually have to make myself stop eating! never mind yolanda, enjoy your swim and take care of yourself :) tomorrow is another day
kate_turner2000

Postby Draco » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:39 pm

Yeah.. Some days I can get to 3-4pm and realise that I haven't eaten anything yet today...
Eating small meals, often, is what I struggle with most.. I've become so used to eating LARGE meals, rarely, (usually of the wrong food) that to have 4 or 5 small meals a day feels to me as though I am constantly thinking about food.. Seems like food has consumed my life some days.
I'm persevering though.. My theory is that if I just keep doing it, it will become habit and I wont have to think about it so much. .. Takes 21 days to make a habit and all that jazz.

On the upside, I went for my swim today.. I didn't give up. :)
I don't know what's wrong with me though, it took me 20mins extra to finish my usual number of laps.
I'm going to go and have a round on my punching bag and see if I can't get excited about that... That's a pretty good workout, so it usually makes me feel like I've accomplished something.

Draco

Next

Return to Personal Progress