It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:39 am

Free Newsletter

Biddis' ramble...I really need some advice.

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Biddis' ramble...I really need some advice.

Postby Biddi » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:05 pm

OK, so I've just signed up to this site and have had a quick look around. I'm not sure where to start, but thought here was probably the best option.
I need to become a little more accountable for my lifestyle and would like the support and advice of others facing the same challenge.

So my starting weight is 87kg....I'm 172cm tall.
My goal weight is the mid 60s. I'm setting myself a mini goal of losing 8kg by the end of May. Not sure if this is realistic? What do others think?

I've been eating a healther variety of foods for the last 4 weeks. Not counting calories or anything like that, but just watching what I eat. I'm a bit naive when it comes to all that stuff. (Maybe someone could help me out). Check out my post in the food diary section (13/4/07) if interested...this is basically what I eat everyday.
I've been doing a brisk walk for 30min 6 times a week...but looking at the excersize diaries, I feel like I really need to up-the-anti if I want to make any progress.

I've lost 1kg over the last 4 weeks....what am I doing wrong?

Hmm, I'm beginning to think I need some advice before I set myself any daily goals....HELP!!
Biddi

Postby Biddi » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:13 pm

Just realised that I stuffed up when trying to post in the food diary section and started my own thread..."What I ate today"

Opps, my bad.
Biddi

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:12 am

hey biddi just head to the forum help section and it will show you different techniques for using the forum :) sing out if you need anything we arent all experts!
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:43 am

Hi Biddi

It's OK to have your own thread anywhere on here. You may even find it helpful having your own food diary for a while anyway.

Your exercise looks good. I started out much the same way and didn't change it much for a while. As I became fitter I walked faster or walked further. Then as it got closer to winter I started getting exercise DVD's in case it was cold or raining and then I still got to do some exercise for the day. This basically gave me no room for excuses. What I am saying is build up slowly if you want to do more and don't underestimate how good walking is for you. Not to mention completely free. I think it is a great start.

You may want to look sometime at strength training as this can aid in weight loss too as well as other benefits like improving bone density. This article has some info that may be helpful.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby milkyway » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:54 pm

Hey Biddi, try plugging your food intake in http://www.calorieking.com.au or using a calorie counter and weigh your food to make sure your portions aren't too big.

8kg is a big ask, but not impossible. A slower approach to weightloss is probably better in the long run as what you have to do to lose 8kg in 6 weeks may not be sustainable in the long term, but taking 12 weeks to lose 8kg might well be.

I'm sure others will post on your food diary, and that may shed some light.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Alrischa » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:22 pm

Don't think I could lose 8 kilos in 6 weeks. Well, I might be able to in the next 6 weeks, if the baby is half of it. lol. I never found it helpful to set time limits on my weight loss, because I was always frustrated, but that's just me. I'm sure a lot of people find motivation that way.

Don't worry if you only average a kilo a month for the year. You'll still be lighter and feel better. Just concentrate all your efforts on not giving up.

And keep us posted! We'll be watching...

~ Alrischa
Alrischa

Postby Biddi » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:46 am

OK, so after quite a bit of research and a visit to Calorie King (thanks for the link), I've set myself some daily goals.
Here they are:

*I will only eat up to 1500 calories a day.
*Will do at least 30min cardio (with the aim to build up to 45-50min) a day.
*I will drink at least 2 litres of water (not a big fan of water, it's going to be tough).
* Will do some light free weights 3 times a week.
Biddi

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:04 am

hey biddi great goals there. very achievable too. a comment about the water though, i never used to drink water unless i was brushing my teeth or taking medication- like panadol or something. the best thing i found was having a water bottle with a top pop. the water goes down smoother then and you can take it where ever you go. i make sure i dont go to bed at night without drinking my water. as tired as i may get i make sure i drink it. or ill make myself challenges to have like 5 sips of water whilst an ad is on tv in between my favourite shows.
kate_turner2000

Postby Alrischa » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:45 am

This week I've gotten myself 2x 750ml bottles of water from the supermarket with a pop-top. I fill one with purified water from the jug in our fridge and one with diet cordial. It's working so far for me.

It truly doesn't matter whether it's just water or not (except for the calorie count) so don't forget to include milk and soup and all that in your "2L of fluid" for the day.

I'm liking the CalorieKing food diary, myself. Saves me a bit of work, and makes 'writing it in' a bit more fun. Plus, I get the feeling that "someone" at CK knows what I'm eating... lol. Makes me a bit more accountable than when I had a little secret food diary on top of the fridge. Ü

~ Alrischa
Alrischa

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:37 pm

hey al i was always told that 2litres of water is ON TOP of any additional fluids be it coffees teas cordials juices etc.
kate_turner2000

Postby Alrischa » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:57 pm

It's not like you need "pure" water to "flush out the toxins" or anything. Your kidneys just need an adequate amount of fluid to do their job. The liver and kidneys are perfectly capable of getting rid of the waste, and if you don't drink enough fluid, the kidneys simply concentrate the urine. But it's easier on them if you drink plenty.

Anything that is a fluid is 99% water, anyway Ü

If you drink too much, on the other hand, you can deplete your electrolytes a bit. I've looked after lots of little old ladies in hospital who are in with low sodium because they sit around drinking tea all day. Don't think it's a problem if you also eat properly, though.

lol. My inner-nurse is coming out.

Water is probably better for you than diet cordial and soft drink, but if guilt over not drinking the hateful stuff is hurting your diet then forget it. Drink something else.

~ Alrischa
Alrischa

Return to Personal Progress