It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:22 am

Free Newsletter

what's for breakfast!

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

what's for breakfast!

Postby Yogi-Bear » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:51 am

So begins the record of my weight-loss...
I was thinking that in the past I have often set goals which other people have taken the credit for. I have had some pretty good successes at work and in other things and someone else always seems to step in just as the limelight and recognition are heading my way, and I get nothing. A great thing about weight-loss is that I will own it and not anybody else. It is truly self-promotional. Not that I am particularily eaten up by a world that seems to be in the process of by-passing me, but I do want to kind of make a competitive statement. I'm not really a power-mad or tremendously materialistic person, but deep down I want to represent how good I am. For example, I have a great wife who is a prize catch. It is not the same as driving a merc compressor but 100 times better, and it shows a lack of judgement if you think otherwise. My kids are great too. My cycling, that is a fantastic statement about my commitment to the planet. No-one needs to notice it but I do. Eventually, when I can get past Alla who basically controls the finances, I want to get a quality Italian racing bike. Sure, it will only be my push-bike but I know deep-down that bikes are truly cool.
I think it is deep down pride that is driving me to lose weight. I know my value even if society at large doesn't readily acknowledge it. Loving family life is cooler than career, push-bikes are cooler than 4WD's, sailing (my other great love) is cooler than jet-skiing. This is true is my eyes, I'm not trying to convince anyone else. AND BEING A HEALTHY LEAN WEIGHT IS TOTALLY COOL. When I get this next goal in my clutches, like the other things I have mentioned, I will be so proud.
I look at these pro-cyclists, not Lance Armstrong who basically sacrificed his marriage to win, and I think they look really good. I want to look like that too. Cyclists are incredibly light (180cm's and around 67kg's) and I want it too.
I belonged to a gym for a while but I didn't envy those bulging muscles at all. To me it lookd gross, dumb, and as if these people had their hands on it. I want a lean and fit/flexible body and I'M GOING TO GET IT.
At work no-one will sense that under my clothes I am now even cooler but I will know this and when I burn away on my Pinarello bicycle in my lyrca cycling my self-esteem will be totally intact. "Look, you losers, you think I am the loser, but in reality, if you opened your eyes for half a second, you would see that in fact I am a winner, and it is you snobs poncing on in your pathetic ways that are the real losers. Eat my dust!!"
Excuse my self-righteous manner, and I like my work despite the fact it is not appreciated by any-one else (I work as a science teacher), but I am only mouthing off a bit to allow myself to get to the bottom of why I am doing this. It is the glory, I want the pleasure of glorifying my self to myself in a way which is meaningful to me. That will spread more happiness around than my having another easter bunny...
[/img][/url]Image
Yogi-Bear

Postby Puffer » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:39 am

Yogi Bear, I totally agree with you, cycling is much cooler than riding to work, sailing is cooler than jet-skiing, and having a good partner/family life is better than the 'have it all' career!

You go get em!
Puffer

Postby Ally » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:55 am

Go get 'em tiger!!! :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:08 am

hey yogi i like the idea you brought forward about how weight losing is your thing and no one can beat you at it. you get recognised because thats your achievement and your 'baby' so to speak.

hopefully you get that bike you are after. wish i had more control of the finances in my house! haha :roll: :lol:

if you keep that mindset in tact yogi you will achieve greatness
kate_turner2000

Postby Alrischa » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:13 pm

Puffer wrote:Yogi Bear, I totally agree with you, cycling is much cooler than riding to work, sailing is cooler than jet-skiing, and having a good partner/family life is better than the 'have it all' career!

Absolutely! And I agree with you about guys who are long and lean as opposed to muscley... I married one. (He controls the finances, too. :? ) Wait until they all see your skinny butt in that cycling lycra. lol. Will you shave your legs? :wink:

~ Alrischa
Alrischa

Postby Yogi-Bear » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:30 pm

START: 85kg
In the two weeks since I have joined I have already lost 3kg and this week I mean to give it a good shot. I was inspired by Kate not eating any of those twisties/cheesels (?) in front of her and I will do my best to control what I eat. If I decide to eat something then often I don't seem able to stop myself from eating it. That will be hard to break. It is like I am a bit spoilt.
However, in my mind I feel ready. Last night I dreamt I had a big brown overcoat on that was too big and looked shabby. I also had upside down patches on my pants where the knees are. It wasn't a good look and I remember looking into a dream mirror and realising I needed to do something about it. When I woke up i felt determined and I was good all day.
I'm a bit of a picky type of eater. I rarely stuff myself, I just keep eating all day. So for lunch I had lots of little amounts of things I enjoy. Some grapes, some orange, some crackers with avocardo, tomato and cheese, and a little bit of chocolate. So I didn't feel deprived.
My strength is my enjoyment of exercise. Today I took my dog Gino for a ride in the bush on some good singletrack. Yesterday I rode for five hours with a good mate. We started at 6.30am and rode down to subway for a roll before heading to a beachside cafe which makes excellent coffee. I had a wicked headache to start with and it took a long time to leave me (late night with bub) but eventually I felt fine. It is not an effort for me as I get a very pleasant sensation in my body, especially my legs. My head gets clearer and I just feel I am loving it. I am the type of person who is easily frustrated and depressed and who needs vigorous exercise to combat it.
Tomorrow I am meeting up with another teacher for a ride of similar proportions. His wife will go for coffee with mine while we are away. Same deal: rendevous 6.30am and then a good ride, before meeting up together. It should be a good morning.
"Alrischa"-that is a great name. I want to improve my image. For years I have been buying cheap clothes as if I don't care. But I do. My work shoes are 2 sizes too big and cost less than $10 from Aldi. They are black leatherette. How bad is that? I wear polo shirts which I never iron and some jean shorts with a few holes on one side. No belt, don't need it as my gut hangs over a little and keeps them up. Why would I do this? It is pathetic that I have been wandering around like this half admitting it to myself.
It is like I am saying "stuff you" but I am only hurting myself. Don't get me wrong, I don't have major problems and most people wouldn't notice my appearance as I tend to keep a low profile. But I want to look my best now. I have two pairs of 32 inch waist 501's in the wardrobe which I haven't worn for 9 years. I used to really like those jeans etc.
Part of the reason is that I give heaps to the students and no-one seems to acknowledge it. But somehow I am changing. I am focusing a little more on myself and goals that I have more control over. In the past I would give absolutely everything to the students and get no clear acknowledgement. I think I changed because last year I helped a team win a national title. That was my finest hour and yet no-one recognised it. That was the turning point because I knew what had been achieved and that it was legendary. That was the turning point for me I am sure. Next week I built on this not by volunteering to take another team in 2008 but by saying "my resources are limited" and getting on my bike. It has only been a matter of time before my image would come under my scrutiny.
You can't control whether people will like you or not or think you are any good. But you can control many other things. I am going to control my weight and I have bitten the bullet like Kate did which is the only way to do it I reckon.
See you and thanks so much....
[/img][/url]Image
Yogi-Bear

Postby Alrischa » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:43 pm

Alrischa is a star in the constellation Pisces. lol. My dad loves science, especially astronomy. He says the sun was in Pisces when I was born (April 2) though that's not what the astrology section in the paper says. He's right, though. :lol:

Be careful of those 501's when you get them out again! I cleaned out a bunch of old clothes the other day, and found a few spiders in them. shiver! I don't mind spiders, but I object to them running over my arm...

You're lucky you love exercise! Hours on the bike won't do you any harm, that's for sure. I asked about shaving your legs because we had a lecturer at uni (a guy) who used to shave his legs "for the aerodynamics" LOL! He wasn't that quick on his bike!

~ Alrischa
Alrischa

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:50 am

hey yogi wow you even dress like a teacher!! i have come across very few teachers who are quite trendy and many do have that gut thing happening so dont think its just you!! i know what you mean though, sometimes it feels like you are the only one like that. iam 21 years old and in the past when ive gone at with friends i have looked totally crap because i couldnt buy the nice clothes they were wearing. how embarrassing. there were also times where i thought i looked great! only to look at photos now and cringe because i cant believe i went out like that and being that size it never occured to me that i was THAT big.

well done on the riding front. sounds like you are enjoying it and alla might give in to the expensive bike if she sees how passionate you are about it.

keep up the great work
kate_turner2000

Postby Yogi-Bear » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:30 pm

Heh, thanks for replying. Wow, "Alrischa " is definitely a very special name. Your Dad sounds a very interesting person. There is power in names. I am a listening type and so, in my private yoga practise I practise a lot of Nadi Yoga, which emphasizes sound. It is not just chance that your Dad named you in this way. I don't know enough of your background but at a guess perhaps your husband might experience you as the perfect partner!
Yes Kate, I dress like a teacher but I am going to make more of an effort to look normal in future!
I had a big ride today. My friend is a club racer and on the ascents he just rode off my front wheel and there was nothing I could do about it. I'll try to jack up another ride with someone later this week.
He has lost over 27kg since he got married a couple of years ago. I knew him as a beer-drinking bachelor when I was the same and we worked at the same school out west. Now he is 78kg-7kg lighter than me. I tried to ply him with some crackers and cheese and left-over chocolate easter eggs when we got back to my place. A couple of crackers was ok but then he said no to anymore, and didn't eat any eggs. I was quietly stunned as he never seemed to be a diet-conscious type of person. Also, it made me aware that I was eating heaps of eggs and crackers after 4 hours in the saddle and that might not be a good excuse anymore! I still need to get my food intake under control.
Once again, thanks for your support. I read Zeedevilgirl's progress report today. Isn't that also inspiring!!
[/img][/url]Image
Yogi-Bear

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:00 am

eggs are bad yogi- hoik them!!! easter is over with mate.
kate_turner2000

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:56 pm

Aww thanks Yogi :) :)

I can definitely relate to what you said about wearing cheap clothes as if you don't care.... I was doing that too, I was hiding in all my old clothes that were way too big for me and way too old, and I just wasn't putting any effort into my appearance. I've been feeling a bit down lately due to work and stuff, so I guess I just thought "What's the point?!" I couldn't really afford new clothes either... This was up until pretty much the other week when I got some birthday money and I've decided it's time to put in the effort and actually be noticed, because if you don't even try, people will just look straight past you in this world! It's sad but true..
I also made my social life completely die, so I'm trying to fix that now too!!!

You sound like you've really made headway and you're in the right mindset now to do this :) You're definitely doing the exercise, it's great when you actually enjoy it hey?

Just stick to it mate, you'll get that long, lean cyclists body you want so badly, I know you've got it in you :)

Em
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Yogi-Bear » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:16 am

Yes, I'll chuck out the rest of those dratted eggs- they are the bottom of the barrell too.
It is so interesting reading everybodies comments and identifying with what is said. It is very helpful.
I did pretty well today. It is very illuminating to become aware of what prompts me to eat. I'm currently doing up the house a bit and rather than get started I'll have a little snack...I'm feeling bored so I'll have another snack...it just goes on and on...
However, I think I'm eating a fraction of what I used to. I haven't located my calorie diary so I haven't written any thing down to be sure. But I think I'm doing okay.
What about Stuart O'Grady winning the Paris-Roubaix!! I had tears in my eyes and I'm a kiwi!! He is tougher than tough and yet he just broke down and cried his eyes out. At the finish all you could here was "Allez Stuey, Allez" (Allez=go)from the crowd. This is one of the greatest wins in Australian sport.
[/img][/url]Image
Yogi-Bear

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:46 am

it was lovely to see i must admit. he deserves all the praise and recognition he gets i think :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Yogi-Bear » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:29 pm

Hi Kate there is a one hour special on the race this sunday on SBS at 11.00am. He has had a lot of set-backs in his career and it should be inspirational to watch.
I did pretty good again today although I need to get my food diary up and running again. Just not getting any sleep some nights like last night as bub won't settle and I feel the need to give Alla a break. So just pacing around the house through the small hours. One thing I thought about today was young women being over-weight. It seems like this section of the population might miss out on a lot of fun. I mean it is important for men to be slim but women have more maturity and look deeper than the surface. So it is not too critical for younger men in terms of their social attractiveness. In addition, men can tend to look well in older years if they take good care of themselves as I mean to. But women often don't seem to look as good in later years. So it is doubly important for younger women to deal with their weight while they are still young. This might not be a politically correct observation but it seems true to me.
I am quite enjoying the sensation of being hungry for long periods. My body feels like it is thanking me for the break. I don't want to play the game with food I used to-eating for my head and not for my stomach.
[/img][/url]Image
Yogi-Bear

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:53 am

ah yes half the time we arent even hungry- othe rhtings come into play like boredom or our emotions. i remember driving home from a shift at work some nights and stopping at the servo just because i could and buying flavoured milk and lollies and chocolates and eating them as i drove the 40 minutes home. when i got home i couldnt believe i had eaten so much! and i didnt even realise i was putting it in my mouth.

will keep that in mind about sbs this weekend. we have two sbs's :P

sorry bubs is having a tough time settling for you. i think broken sleep is shocking!! it makes me more tired i think. i seriously dont think ive had a great night sleep since i was in the early stages of my pregnancy.

i can understand what you are saying about the younger women having to look a certain way. you only have to look at the media and all the magazines, tv presenters, tv shows etc to see that we have lots of pressure on us. theres a lot of overweight men that i dont even notice!
kate_turner2000

Next

Return to Personal Progress