It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:59 pm

Free Newsletter

what's for breakfast!

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Re: what's for breakfast!

Postby Yogi-Bear » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:20 pm

hi everyone,

don't tell me you are "living in the seventies" jp

sounds like a great yoga manual davo, i think you will find it great for health and spirituality (direction). i 'd love another yoga book but my shelves have too many of them already thanks

i am getting muscley but the scales have yet to change. i wish i had access to a decent pair. it has only been a matter of a month or so but the effects of weight training are obvious. i am addicted to it which is better than other things i suppose. it is like quiet reading in bed at night, as it gives me a feeling of well-being and enjoyment. i was anxious this morning for some reason but i knew after weights i would be okay and sure enough i was.

one thing i really discovered today was the uplifting effect of salads.

I have been making a fruit salad for most breakfasts, topped with natural yoghurt and maple syrup. I had learned this at the Chateau Laurier where full buffet breakfasts were served of which the fruit salad was the most nourishing and balancing.

Today I moved to phase two (there is my penchant for three's again) and took in a greek salad (baby greens, olives, avocardo, feta, pine nuts and tomato). I am so used to eating on the fly at school as I work pretty hard. And today I could feel the food literally energizing me. Often I get a piece of pizza at the canteen and afterwards I feel "done". Kind of ready for a sleep. But today after the salad I felt full and satiated but not stuffed. I had plenty of energy for the rest of the day, and we had guests tonight as well which I handled well too.

How come it has taken me so long to notice something so obvious? I think I will be easily able to establish this healthy routine as well.
[/img][/url]Image
Yogi-Bear

Postby Dave » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:42 am

Hi Ygoi,
Sounds Yum...to much sugar for me at this stage, but sounds like it's working for ya. I can go that sort of thing on my "Free DAY" WHICH IS TODAY :D ...Glad your enjoying the weights, however if your doing it to develop some healthy muscle mass, then the scales will go down slowly (as you know)...1/2 a kilo p/w...as you say "whatever works for you" I took in a little sugar last night and because I did not have time to get in my weights for that day, I just did a session a few hours before bed; & felt terrific and slept like a Solid log!

I woke up feeling like I slept for a month, had a shower and hit the pavement for the first time since the park...I also felt terrific after that session too.

We both must be doing something right Yogi...I hope we can continue in the same direction :wink:
"Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action"
.................. Image...............
Dave

Postby milkyway » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:22 pm

Just stopping by to say 'hey'. Bet you're welcoming Spring?

How's the running going?
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Yogi-Bear » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:55 pm

Hi Dave and Milky,

Thanks for your notes.

I am enjoying everything about the season's Milky -it is great to be here. The snow is nearly all gone now and I am trying to get organised enough to start cycling to work.

Great you are getting a good night's sleep Dave. To me that is the acid test of well-being. It's great news.

I hope to catch you up this week. I've been exercising and watching what I eat more-so.

Pressure is on a bit and I'm noticing the tendency to eat a bit more to try and remove/deal with some of the anxiety. I'm trying to get on top of things as quickly as I can. Just got an e-mail from RSPCA Australia I think about my dog friends are minding. First thing I did was to reach for the crackers and cheese. I'll ring them now....
[/img][/url]Image
Yogi-Bear

Postby Yogi-Bear » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:53 am

hiya everybody,

i'm as ready as i will ever be for commuting by bike and plan to bite the bullet like i did all of last year. i rode the track on the weekend and it is easy but for a little snow through the hilly section. i saw three deer with-in metres of me and i stopped for a while. i realise i have much to learn as it is still below zero in the morning and it rains frequently. i bought a rain jacket off ebay which should arrive soon.

I'll ride the exchange teachers bike on bad days and mine on good days as her bike is used to rough conditions and fitted out for it. I expect to be fine but my 100% success rate last year was due to an all or nothing approach. I learned as I went along and it was exciting but the cold here is extreme. -20 degrees is not uncommon and at speed on a ride with a wind blowing I hope to learn quickly how to best get the job done. I don't want to end up sick with the flu.

One thing that has surprised me here is that many more people around me seem to have major health worries. I didn't notice it much in aussie, except for you dave. It is an even greater incentive to get into the scientifically determined BMI healthy weight range.

I think the dog worry has been sorted...Bye for now
[/img][/url]Image
Yogi-Bear

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:28 am

Awwww, I hope the dog is ok!!!

Kudos for you for riding in the snow. I used to work at a market stall for a baker who would ride up Mt Wellington most Saturdays. In the winter even when it was snowing!! I remember one bitterly cold day and he rode up there and it was snowing on the summit. He reckoned it was ok going up because you're working hard but on the way DOWN, not pedalling, damp with sweat with the wind of riding and snow in the air... he was near hypothermia when he got back I tell you.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby lng86 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:33 am

I hope the dog is ok too!

Just stopping by to say hello. Congratulations on your continual success. Well done!

Keep up the great work.

Best wishes,
Lauren.
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)
lng86

Postby milkyway » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:20 pm

Hi Yogi - I just finished reading a book about an Australian teacher who goes to Canada on a teacher exchange program so I 've been thinking about this past week :)

The book was called 'Little White Lies' by Catherine Jinks. It was an OK read... but funny how the teacher has to learn about the horrors of living in sub-zero temps.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby JP1 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:52 am

Hi Yogi mate.. just dropping by.. I see that you are in bike mode at the moment? and the weather must be getting better now there? I was there at about this time a few years ago though come to think of it Lake Louise was fully covered by ice :lol: :mrgreen: :wink: .. take care mate.. 8)

JP
Highs : 107 Kg (24 Sept 2007) : 113.5 Kg (12 Jan 2014) : 112.5 Kg (26 Jan 2016)
Current :99.2 Kg (31 May 2016)
Lows : 78.4 Kg (20 May 2008) : 87.4 Kg (on 16 Dec in both 2009 & 2010) : 82.9 Kg (14 Apr 2011) : 87.1 Kg (4 Jul 2011) : 90.5 Kg (14 Jul 2014)
Target : 94 Kgs by 15th Jul
JP1

Postby Yogi-Bear » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:40 pm

Thanks for your support everyone,

yeah, back on the bike and loving it. There are so many ways to get to and from work, all of which involve cycling beside the three rivers in the neighbourhood. I thoroughly enjoy it and leave earlier and earlier so I can explore and soak up the beautiful nature. The trout are running, leaves are coming out, and birds cuddling up. As a consequence I have already tightened belt one notch. Wife has commented my stomach is smaller.

I have also discovered fibre. You know they say about fibre giving you a full feeling. I have known it intellectually but it really is true. I have been taking a salad to work and was afraid that I would miss bread but I don't. I feel full and more energetic right through until dinner. Yes, just salad for lunch. And I look forwards to it because I am adding different stuff all the time.

Take care everybody....
[/img][/url]Image
Yogi-Bear

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:34 pm

What sort of vegetables do you include in your salad, Yogi? As a vegan you'd think I'd be confident in eating salad without any extra carbs like bread or couscous, but I must admit I worry that it's not going to fill me up for very long. Do you have just vegetables or do you also add meat or cheese?
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Yogi-Bear » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:06 am

Hi EWQ,

You can buy a large plastic carton of washed organic salad greens for about $5. Even if I munch away at it all week I never seem to finish it off. To that I add some tomato, pine nuts, fetta, pickles, tomato, capsicum, olives and dressing. It tastes great.

Is that you in the photo? You look great and I hope the vegan thing suits you well.
[/img][/url]Image
Yogi-Bear

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:06 am

Thanks, Yogi! The photo was taken from a flattering angle on a good hair day so I'm afraid I look a bit more scruffy in real life!

I've been vegan for a while now and it has its positive aspects and negative aspects. I'm convinced it's more difficult to lose weight as a vegan because the types of protein we get means it's harder to build muscle. You also don't get that 'heavy' full feeling after a meal so you're more likely to overeat. And I had a health scare with a serious B12 deficiency a few years ago. However on the upside my asthma has almost completely disappeared and I used to get it quite frequently beforehand. That makes exercise a lot easier now! I don't get sick very often either. And the B12 deficiency was really my own silly fault because I didn't do any research about what supplements vegans need in all those years. So I guess it all balances out in the end. I know it's not a lifestyle that suits everyone but it seems to suit me for the most part.

That salad sounds terrific. I'm going to have to do a bit of additional veggie shopping this week!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:02 pm

Vegan proteins really depend on making sure you combine the right things so you get 'complete' protein. Like combining pulses with grains. If you want to pack your salad out with a bit more oomph, maybe try adding a tin of 5bean mix?
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:22 pm

The protein combining theory was debunked quite a few years ago. For some reason it's still quoted a lot in nutritional literature though. (Here's the Wikipedia entry on the topic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_combining). Provided you eat a wide variety of plant foods during the day you will get enough protein. There's no need to consume the different amino acids in the same meal.

I love adding bean mixes (3, 4 or 5 bean) to salads. Thanks for the tip! I keep forgetting to chop red onion in advance to add it though. And I love red onion!
EvilWombatQueen

PreviousNext

Return to Personal Progress