It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:20 pm

Free Newsletter

what's for breakfast!

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Re: what's for breakfast!

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:23 pm

Thanks for that! I had read it on a vegan chef's website so figured he must know his stuff. Just goes to show!Mind you Wikipedia isn't reliable either. But still, definitely combining as wide a variety is good. That's what I've always done and what my mum always did and I grew up in a vegetarian house! Never had a problem yet (well apart from carrying a spare tyre!).

I eat some meat now, and usually add tuna to my salad, but putting some pulses or legumes in would do the same job - protein/fibre combos always do the trick for me for feeling full. I love red onion too but like you always forget. Oh and sundried tomato and avocado are must haves for my salads! YUM
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:22 pm

Very true. Wikipedia can certainly have its biases. The doctor that they quote a lot in that reference (McDougall) has some odd notions that I find very questionable when it comes to evolution and how humans process foods. I'm going by most vegan websites that now back up the notion that protein combining is not necessary in every meal. However unfortunately I couldn't find any academic papers on Google scholar either backing up protein combining or disputing it! But like you said, eating from a wide variety of food is always the best way to go. Since a combination of carbs and proteins usually fills us up best, as you pointed out, most vegan meals inevitably combine beans/tofu/legumes and grains anyway. I actually tried the food combining diet a while ago which ironically keeps proteins and carbs separate and it was absolute hell!

I love avocado in salads. We bought one earlier this week for just that purpose but it simply refuses to ripen! Grrr.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:13 pm

Did you put it with a ripe banana? That usually does the trick but you get the occasional one that just won't ripen. Very frustrating. I hate when you THINK it's ripe enough then cut into it and it's still hard in the middle. That makes me very sad indeed.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Yogi!!! :lol: :P
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:17 pm

Unfortunately I didn't have any bananas in the house so we just put it on the window ledge instead. It ended up taking a week until it was soft enough to eat!

I'm sorry about hijacking your thread too, Yogi. I promise to shut up now! :lol:
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Yogi-Bear » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:19 pm

Don't worry, I'm used to it, my wife hijacks my life..... :twisted: :roll: :wink:
[/img][/url]Image
Yogi-Bear

Postby Dave » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:28 pm

Hi Yogi,
I'm back on the bike too...Just heading out for a night ride...wind chill factor is setting in here in these parts now, but It's really enjoyable at night...less trafic...all is ok, I got good lighting.

Hope things are still on the up and up...I guess living in doors takes its toll on the people over there...My health is getting better thanks...I dont have a teminal illness just yet yogi, but thanks for caring...I know I go on about it, but hey...I'll do anything for attention......catch ya later :wink:

PS...I am still working hard to hit 85kg...wish me luck :D
"Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action"
.................. Image...............
Dave

Postby Dave » Fri May 16, 2008 8:30 am

Hey Yogi...there is a link for you on the bottom of page 6 in my section:
http://www.brainsync.com/
Check out my post if you would like to know what I think about it, or just check the site out...cheers mate, have a good one :wink:
"Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action"
Dave

Postby Yogi-Bear » Fri May 23, 2008 11:02 am

Hi Dave,

I have the 'Insight CD', similar to your recommendation and I love it. I neeed that de-stressor and it is like brushing-teeth, a habit. I'll read up on brainsync more carefully when I get the time.

Dang! My wife is pregnant and has morning sickness so I have been working my butt off. (Hey, speaking of 'Butt's', how's it going JP? If you read this I hope you don't mind some immature kiwi hassling). So it is number three now.

I'm losing again although unsure because of dodgy scales at work. I can feel my pants getting loose as I don't wear a belt and I'm hitching them up all the time.
What is working: imagination. I imagine cycling along in a slim cyclists body and walking around in jeans and a t-shirt, things like that. It is hard to do at the start but I have got good at it now. I have an image in my mind of how I want to be and it helps me stay away from the food. Bloody easy too!!

Something else I found out. Want a hip replacement? Then stay fat. Extra weight is effectively tripled on the hips/knees. That is, the forces on the joints are tripled. As you age the muscles around the joints become less elastic and the forces go up even more. So carrying an extra 10kg on the gut is bad enough, but to the hips/knees it is effectively 30kg of force which wears out the joint. BUGGER THAT, I don't want a cane!!
[/img][/url]Image
Yogi-Bear

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri May 23, 2008 11:30 am

Glad to hear your clothes are telling you you're losing weight! It's a more reliable guide than scales anyway, so yay you!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby milkyway » Sun May 25, 2008 3:32 pm

Congrats Yogi - another bub on the way :) Nice work ;)

And keep up the other good work - seems to be working well. I guess the weather's really improving, now. Enjoy!
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Dave » Thu May 29, 2008 11:05 pm

OHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!congrats Yogi :P Good points, The waiting times take too long to get spare parts with Medicare...I think I'll try to stay thin yogi...but not quite as you tell it...your sounding very slender of late...hope it keeps working for you...I'd be hooking into some of that meditation with the mood swings ahead :lol:
Dave

Postby JP1 » Fri May 30, 2008 12:43 pm

Congrats Yogi.. is this the first? 8)
Highs : 107 Kg (24 Sept 2007) : 113.5 Kg (12 Jan 2014) : 112.5 Kg (26 Jan 2016)
Current :99.2 Kg (31 May 2016)
Lows : 78.4 Kg (20 May 2008) : 87.4 Kg (on 16 Dec in both 2009 & 2010) : 82.9 Kg (14 Apr 2011) : 87.1 Kg (4 Jul 2011) : 90.5 Kg (14 Jul 2014)
Target : 94 Kgs by 15th Jul
JP1

Postby Dave » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:58 am

Hi Yogi,
Wuz UPP.
Dave

Postby Yogi-Bear » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:57 am

Hi everyone,

I'm still around but all these holidays have meant I'm not around much. Imagine 9 weeks of paid holidays!! Better than working that's for sure...

I ended up buying the CalorieKing software ($45) and so I am tracking my calorie's and kind of enjoying it too. I can stay with-in budget without too much problem and so I must be losing weight. I can't confirm that because i don't have scales.

i used to count calories when I started weight-loss on this site and it worked then as now. It must suit my personality because I have read lots of people who don't like it. I am tracking (using software so it is pretty easy): cholesterol, sodium, fat, carbs, fibre, protein, exercise, net energy, fluid and calcium. I adjust my targets for these nutrients as I learn more about the ideal limits and then try to get my diet to fit. eg. sodium is 1500mg per day which is bugger-all and I don't add any salt nowadays. I have definitely learned some simple truths. Porridge is an excellent food for example, and I am eating it as much as possible for breakfast.

Also, it is hard to beat organic food. I have switched to almost 100% organic even though it is twice as expensive. but you end up eating less as it satisfies you more. etc

About the only problem I have is that I kind of feel full but empty after eating. My stomach goes out, I know I am full, but I don't feel as satisfied as I used too. I am guessing it is part of the adjustment process, a kind of withdrawal perhaps. It makes my day feel bleaker. However, I am not feeling obviously hungry. i have not gone over my budget, except once. Right at the start I ordered a meal of fish n' chips cos' that is a kiwi's favourite. Boy, did I learn a lesson that day...

Take care and peace-out as Dave says....
[/img][/url]Image
Yogi-Bear

Postby Dave » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:21 pm

Yea right here Yogi,
Got ya email, but not yet time to give it a good read...Nice pics...but remember when you get enough sceneic backgrounds "Dont forget to Frame yourselves a bit closer!" You can always log on the net to get the sceanic shots, but not to capture yourselves having such a fantastic time. Remember you guys are the most important SUBJECT on your trip, so give us & yourselves a few more close ups!..................Don't get me wrong...great shots and all......It,s hard to remember to take close ups of yourselves when holidaying, but you will be glad you did as it really does capture the spirit so much better!

Perhaps your just holding all those back :lol: But from what I can see, your looking good...it all seems to be working for you. You got great kids, and although I'm telling you to take more close ups...I can clearly see they are very much loved. The great outdoors hey......I could just about smell the forest with some of those shots you did take...seems to be a good all round camera that one?????? what is it?.....

Anyways mate...got to go...You having fun, thats the main thing...dont mind my camera advice...just trying to help...nothing worse than commng back from your holiday to flick through your photos only to find yourselves the size of pebbles against a huge backdrop...The beach is typical of that one as well...WE ALL DO IT...arrr...but what the hell...just a bit of friendly advice :wink:

Later...
Dave
Dave

Previous

Return to Personal Progress