It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:16 am

Free Newsletter

Jeshka's Progress

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Jeshka's Progress

Postby jeshka » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:12 am

This post isn't so much my progress at the moment, as I'm just re-starting, but more-so what I hope for my progress to be.

well, i don't have a set of scales at home (which some may say is a good thing with the whole 'muscle weighs more than fat' thing) so I can't jot down my starting weight. Last time I checked, I was around 68kg - I was 70kg at my biggest, which was around August last year, and then again a couple of months ago. When I was around 16 I weighed 55kg, and looking back, that is my ideal body shape. I'm sure these days I would probably weigh more at that size, as I'd be more interested in having muscle definition, whereas back then I was just plain slim (even if I didn't think so at the time). So, since I don't have scales, I'm measuring my progress by the clothes I can and can't fit into. Being the sentimental fool that I am, I've hung onto all of my old clothes, even though I can't fit into half of them - but that will come in handy now. My first goal is to be able to wear my black skinny jeans without them digging into me, giving me love handles, etc. They fit me now, just not very comfortably. My next goal will be to wear my size 12 Just Jeans jeans, which were loose on me in 2005 (when I was around 60kg). The next goal will be to wear my white skinny jeans (also a size 12, only tighter) comfortably. My absolute goal is my Lee size 10 red velvet pants - my favourite item of clothing I've ever owned - I wore them a few times in year 11 and 12 but quickly grew out of them (as I'd moved out of home, got my licence and discovered the drive thru). They are gorgeous, I'll post some pics of them some time. I'm mainly measuring my weight loss by pants, not tops, basically because my top half (well from my waist up) is actually quite small. My arms could do with some toning up, but my shoulders, upper back and waist have always been rather small and I'm sure they will be maintained by the work I'm doing to get my lower half into shape aswell.

The other thing I need to do is work out what food intolerances I have. Apparently when I was a baby, I was lactose intolerant - it makes sense, as if I have milk or dairy in the mornings these days, I feel queasy and light-headed, and end up bloated all day. Also, from about year 9 or so, I've been holding my stomach in all day every day. I've been controlling my stomach muscles for so long, trying to suck in my 'pot belly' that it comes naturally and I do it without thinking now. While it's a good thing to know, it sucks that it's gotten to that point. Even when I was a tiny size 10, i still had this bloated belly, and it gets worse when i have dairy or bread (which i love so much!) - so i'm sure it's an intolerance of some kind. I'd love to be able to wear a tight top, without having to suck my tummy in or see it jiggle or get that 'donut' shape visible through the shirt (you know what I mean haha).

I tried to start doing all of this a couple of months ago, and gave myself until my 21st birthday. Since that is at the end of next month, i don't think it's going to happen that quickly, but I'd love to be able to at least have my black skinny jeans loose on me, and have my family (who live in QLD) to be able to see me and notice a big difference since the last time they saw me (which was Easter).

Anyway, just thought I'd let everyone know my story!! Thanks guys, this is a great forum, loads of support and info.

Jess :)
jeshka

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:17 am

great goals there jess. i am looking forward to seeing you stick around and reach those goals :) you can do it!

its funny how as we get older and more independent thats when the weight REALLY piles on.when i got a job and was earning my own money thats when i started to put most of my weight on cos i could buy whatever junk food i wanted and being an 'adult' i could eat whatever i wanted and mum couldnt comment about it!

looking forward to seeing how you go jess :)
kate_turner2000

Postby sassi » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:19 am

hi jess :)

sounds like you're in the right frame of mind to really make this happen. i've only been here a little while but this forum is so supporting & incredibly motivating.

best of luck :D
sassi

Postby jeshka » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:37 am

thanks heaps, guys.

yeah, i think when i got my own money and my licence and lived away from home, it was a case of 'ok, now I can eat whatever i want' - when i was a kid, right up until i moved out, i hardly ate take-away, rarely had soft drink, ate a lot of fruit, my mum always cooked healthy, balanced meals for us, and i took it for granted cos i just wanted what all the other kids were eating. Now i look back and wish i hadn't cut loose and changed my eating habits, because I lost the discipline i need to make the right choices and get back into the healthy stuff. When you're young, everyone tells you 'don't eat all that junk because you may be thin now, but it will creep up on you' and of course you don't believe them - until 2 years later you suddenly realise 'oh, i'm 15kg heavier and don't fit into any of my old clothes'.

The good thing is, I've changed my attitude towards my body image a LOT in recent months - I think my wonderful boyfriend Nick has something to do with that, but a lot of it i've had to do myself. I used to only look at the bad, and end up in tears when I couldn't find something to wear, or when something else would become tight on me. Now, i keep a few never-fail outfits on standby for those 'fat days' and I look at the positive. I remind myself about the features that I like the most, like my shoulders or my hair or my eyes, and focus on the improvements, like my 'cankles' gradually going away, instead of the bad things like my hips getting bigger. I no longer dislike myself physically, and also keep reminding myself that it's only going to get better from here, and that i have the power to change it all if i really want to. I've stopped blaming other people and things for my weight gain, and know its up to me to stop it and reverse it, just like it was up to me to make it happen in the first place.

haha sorry i get carried away with my rambling when i'm passionate on the topic... :oops:
jeshka

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:58 am

you are right, you are the only one who can change things jess. you know what you need to do its just putting it into practice :)
kate_turner2000

Postby jeshka » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:22 pm

I've just joined Calorie King - wow! it's got everything!

Except.... I can't find the page where it gave me my analysis and told me how many calories I should be having per day etc - how the heck do I get back to that? It's all a bit confusing!!
jeshka

Postby sassi » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:25 pm

i reckon it's great jess! it's certainly made things really clear for me.

is it on the personal profile page? under the "club" menu?
sassi

Postby jeshka » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:30 pm

wooo, thanks! found it. It appears that i'm easily going to exceed my recommended carbs... though fat/protein/calories don't seem to be too much of an issue!

I really need to drink more water though, I'm usually lucky to get through a 600ml Mt Franklin - eep!

Great site though, makes it heaps easier to keep track of what you're putting into your body and how exercise counteracts it!
jeshka

Postby jeshka » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:23 pm

Well, day 2 (I'm counting from when I joined Calorie King hehe) and so far so good. Didn't do near enough exercise yesterday, I was really motivated to go home and get on the stepper and do that while I watched telly, but by the time I got home I was so hungry and tired I just wanted to eat and go to bed. Luckily the walk to and from work to the train station provides a bit of exercise for me for days like that. Anyway, I was just under my calorie recommendation yesterday, but I was over for both Fat and Protein (not by too much, but still...). I'm trying to think of different lunches and snacks that are quick and easy and aren't all carbs, because all I've got in my desk drawer are rice cakes, maggi noodles and chicken noodle soup. I brought a can of salmon in today, i haven't had it in a while and figure i can snack on it if i'm hungry after lunch... not sure if that's a good option or not :?

My dinner portion size was massive last night - we had lean pork chops, they were so good, but I feel like I shouldn't have eaten the whole thing. It would have been nice to have it for lunch today too if I had kept some as leftovers! I think I will get on the stepper while NCIS is on tonight, hopefully our dinner won't be a late one, and I'll have plenty of time afterwards to get a bit active. I'm thinking of having Wednesday night as my Gym night, as most other nights of the week we are busy - my bf is going to look for some group sport or class that he can take at the same time, as we've only got 1 car and he picks me up from the station at night - it would be too much hassle for him to drive me half an hour to the gym, then go home just to drive all the way back and pick me up an hour later. And I'm also going to go the the gym on weekends. Aside from that, I'll be dancing, and I've got the stepper, and when I get some more cash I'll be looking into some workout DVD's.

Still struggling with the water thing though. Tap water tastes awful and I don't have the cash to go and buy bottled water every day. I heard that if you boil water and then chill it, it's more purified or something? I'm just wondering if that would stop it from tasting like dirt, as we've got a boiling water machine in the kitchen at work ....
jeshka

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:52 pm

hey jess

i think the initial cost to lose weight can be pricey for some people when they start out. i know that i started out by walking but then when it rained i needed something to do so i got some dvds to workout to and then buying healthy food- it is more expensive than junk food! but when you are on track it gets easier as you go along :)

i think cooled boiled water tastes heaps different to tap water and it does purify it because when you have a baby and if it is fed by formula the water needs to be cooled boiled water. so it gets rid of the yuckies from the tap water. i love tap water and could quite happily tip out a bottle of water i have brought from the shops just so i can refill it with tap water lol. but instead of tipping it out i get mick to drink it and then i reuse the bottle :P
kate_turner2000

Postby jeshka » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:06 pm

haha i'm the opposite, i hate tap water and so i never re-fill my bottles. I think i'll try the boiled water trick, i've got a big bottle here waiting to be re-filled and that would definitely save me a few dollars a day! this might sound like a stupid question, but will the plastic melt or warp if im putting boiling water in it? :? it's just a 1 litre mt franklin bottle...

yeah i agree it is really expensive, i can't believe the price of fresh fruit and vegies compared to all the chips and other junk in the shops. i might start stocking up on chicken breast and grilling that for some dinners, i did that last year for a while, it wasn't too expensive and it certainly did the trick! and steam-fresh vegies are genius for slack people like me! hehehe
jeshka

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:14 pm

hey jess you can also save some of the grilled chicken to have in a salad or on a sandwich at work the next day for your lunch. it depends on how hot the water is maybe try and put a few drops in it and you will know whether its safe to put more in or not?
kate_turner2000

Postby jeshka » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:40 pm

cool, i will try it, thanks for that.

and i will try the chicken aswell - i'm always reluctant about re-heating chicken though, i've had a few nasty food-poisoning experiences, and am super paranoid about re-heating ANY leftovers :( haha
jeshka

Postby sassi » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:45 pm

hey jess - there are also those water jugs that purify water through a filter - you can get them at places like target, kmart or big w. they can be expensive-ish to start out with (jugs are around $30 or $40 & then the cost of the filter) but the water tastes more like bottled water. and if target (or wherever) is having a sale, you can get them pretty cheaply.
sassi

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:49 pm

hey jess you dont have to reheat the chicken for your salad just have it cold.
kate_turner2000

Next

Return to Personal Progress