It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:35 pm

Free Newsletter

Dave's Progress Chart/Guide

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Dave's Progress Chart/Guide

Postby Dave » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:19 am

Welcome to:
Dave’s Weight Loss Progress/Guide
Under Construction!
This method; is my method & meant for me…I am naturally a hypo person & in the progress of “learning the art of balance” In no way do I encourage anyone to think along the same lines or want to give the impression that I know best. Like many others types out there, I have put on and shred weight most of my life. Although I am getting older & it’s getting harder, the principles remain the same for me. This text is to encourage me; & if you get something out of it, that works for you, then that’s great.

THE PRICIPLES:
DOING IT:
So let’s get down to business! Although there will be no gyms this time round, I’m still dedicating myself to the task at hand. Regardless of not wanting to get hooked/caught up in the vanity of it all ect… ect… It takes a lot of “Will Power” “Determination” & sheer “GUT’S” to shred unwanted weight. Especially if you let it go to a few spare tyres like me. I won’t be determined if I sit around telling myself “that exercise is not as important as diet & diet is not that big a deal either”. I’m simply talking myself out of making the “effort” that both these subjects require. I find the most common excuses for not making the effort on proper exercising and eating to be found in Quotation Fights/This verse, against that Verse. Many of the people using their different methods have a valid point, but you have to read the hole subject and sometimes even live/try it & or DO IT to get the point. Which is why, I am trying to document this attempt to see what I am doing right and what I am doing wrong.

DIETING:
Early on “I” won’t be caring too much for “DIET”. I mean it won’t be my primary concern “at this stage” I live on a property and “hand” grow all my own organic veggies and drink fresh cow’s milk; courtesy of the guy down the road. Meat is probably the hardest thing for most of us to get these days, and that really sucks because it is just as important as the rest of the food groups. The chook house usually sees us with plenty of fresh eggs, although winter has seen the production slow down somewhat. We also make our own bread (from time to time) cheese/weigh from the off milk, plus we also use things like bush honey for sweeteners and other herbs. So If I am eating pretty well how did I get so fat….mmmmmm….I probably have eaten to much/No exercise mmmmmm I forgot to mention I LOVE BEER. Yep, I even kept drinking beer when I stopped smoking. Every self sufficient guy has to brew his own beer! Yep my first diet plan is to cut out the beer……Although I do plan to use it as a reward system and to keep me balanced…LOL

Seriously, I’ll try and wrap this up for now & get things into prospective…

So early on in my exercise regime, the main reason I don’t change the food intake (except the unwanted beer), is because I will need that fuel while I train my body to burn fat….In an unfit person, the body is not trained to burn the fat (as efficiently) and will only use what food you have given it. (You still need to eat the right kinds of foods) You see, in the beginning your just trying to build up your muscles to endure the shock/strain/push & pull your going to put them through in order to build up you strength. Once your muscles adapt and can cope with this new regime (and its science fact they won’t adapt if you don’t push them slightly beyond their comfort zone) you can then begin the next stage of Cardio vascular training. Anyone who says you don’t need to do cardio vascular work ought to be shot IMO. This is where you use really begin to train your body to burn fat. It gets complicated here, but to put it simply you want to increase your hearts ability to pump oxygen around and through your muscles. You will increase your body’s ability to use that extra oxygen and cope with higher levels of exercise which will in turn become easier. Eventually you will be able to jog the first 10 minutes, and slide into your 20minute targeted hart rate zone to burn that fat.
So…….1st Build up the muscles (resistance training) increase my strength to help increase my cardio work where upon I can concentrate on cardio with resistance as complimentary. Plenty of SLEEP & STRETCHING as well (another story for the not book later)
It really does suck that you can’t edit in this forum…oh well, it’s going to be a long thread.

Start Date
Day 1……Mon 9th/July/2007
Joined a Weight loss forum......jog/walk out in Back Paddock, jog/walk around a park, resistance training in the shed

Day2……Tue 10th/July/2007
Jog/Walk out in Back Paddock
(Time-22:17/Pulse avg146…min 118 max188)
Note*Food intake the same.
"Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action"
.................. Image...............
Dave

Postby Ally » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:29 am

Hey Dave!! Finally a bloke that can chatter with the best of girls!! LOL

I think you have quite a sensible approach to your weight loss there...as you said it is all about balance..not just one or the other....yes cardio is important (it is something I have to look at introducing a little way down the track)......sorry but I had a giggle over "Anyone who says you don’t need to do cardio vascular work ought to be shot IMO".......

It would be great to be growing all your own stuff.....ooh fresh cows milk is yum, nothing like the bottled crap!! I am quite envious of you getting all that fresh produce!! I agree that there is not much for you to really change in your diet apart from the BEER You will be surprised how quickly the weight will drop off!! My brother ditched 25kg by just not drinking beer.

All the best with it and I look forward to reading your updates...
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby grugwashere » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:42 am

welcome to the forum Dave!

My Dad lost alot of weight by not drinking beer. I dont know if you can get it where you are lol but why not try low carb beer if u didnt want to cut it out all together?
SW:91kg
CW:75kg
GW: Somwhere in the 60's for now

Next mini goal:73kg
grugwashere

Postby sassi » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:43 am

hey dave - i love your progress thread already! what you wrote about exercise is really interesting. your changes seem like good ones that are also manageable/sustainable - which i think is really important.

i look forward to reading more! :D
sassi

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:37 pm

jeez dave you are a chatterbox hehe. thats a good thing. you sound really focused and i am eager to see how you go :) best wishes and keep us posted :)
kate_turner2000

Postby milkyway » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:49 pm

Sounds great! You're not exactly an orthodox kinda guy, eh? ;) Look forward to hearing about your progress :)

Cheers!
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Dave » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:48 pm

LOL Milkyway,
That’s a pretty broad term. Overall NO, not at all. By today's standards I'm old fashioned...By old fashioned standards, I’m way out there. … …Somewhere
Everyone in the mainstream seems to baha-a-a baha-a-a bah-a-a-a way tooooo much for my liken. but hey, if it works for them that's cool.
Buy the same token, it seems some city folk are starting to wise up and move out into the sticks & commute from there. Looks as if we might have to go Luna or interstellar!

Why is it people always have me pegged:? :? :? Image
"Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action"
Dave

Postby Dave » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:22 pm

Sorry for the generalization...Only joking, I'm sure you meant something else entirely......

OK I gave myself a good flogging again...Definitely no Orthodox genes in that :lol:

Bike Ride
Time…30:28 non-stop
PULSE….AVG 162 Max…189
Additional 12 minutes up hill walk/ride/walk/ride
PULSE on arrival…160
15 minutes later after cooling down in chair watching Sliders… Pulse AVG 120 on the dot! According to the general rule of thumb, that’s the “aerobic training zone” of a 35year old & I’m pushing 40. Wish I could train in a chair like that for 1/4hour stints…… :lol:
Total time…30:28 + 12:00 + 15 = 57:28 …………Age based heart rate formula never works for me early on, maybe it’s something I can look at when I’m into maintaining…thoughts anyone?
Dave

Postby KimE » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:00 pm

Good on you Dave looks like you have a great plan set out. Not going hell for leather and changing everything in the world but easing yourself into it whilst pushing to make sure you are improving.

Keep at it and you will get there. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby chrisj » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:07 pm

hey Dave just what i was thinking about sitting in the chair and the extra kilos just waste away...after a few cold ones...lol
chrisj

Postby Dave » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:18 pm

Hi Chris,
Looks like you got me pegged too. What can I say? Good to see another bloke about the place. Chris is a mate of mine, I ask him to come along for moral support. Well actually Chris has his own story...I'll let him get around to that when his is ready.
Dave

Postby Playboy_bunny » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:55 pm

sounds like a plan Dave :)
It must be great to grow your own vegies! i would love to do that one day :D (hehe all I have atm is a herb garden! :lol: )
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby chrisj » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:13 pm

sorry about the smart arse commet before whay to go
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wS5cfpS/]
[/url]
chrisj

Postby milkyway » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:21 pm

Hey Dave, totally ment the unorthodox thing in a postive, complimentary way :D
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Dave » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:51 am

No worries Chris, I know how to take you :wink: & that's ok Milkway...if anything I always end up showing how touchy I am. Sometimes I think I am too open & honest in these forums, then again if one speaks his mind often, one has to expect to get bit. n/p Milkway...it's all peaches and cream.

OK MY MORNING RUN
Start Time: 6:15am
Time:22:33
Distance.......who cares at this stage!
Pulse...avg 127

5 minutes of an atempted Sit up program
Pulse...avg 115

Summery:Don't want to go too hard at it today...will be doing resistance training in the shed. Overall the run progressed not bad at all. It did not break me, but I did get another good sweat up. The course is mainly downhill for 1.5Km and uphill for another 1.5 on the way back.

I started off as usual trudging along the flat section of road, sucking air in and out weighting for the muscles to warm up. I'm still at that stage where the muscles start to tire before the lungs do; BUT I notice that, the intervals are getting longer between those events. I estimate that if I keep it up, and push myself without the pain (but strain), In two weeks I will actually be able to jog... :D

Ok, so now you can see me walking/jogging/walking/jogging breathing, gasping, and taking deep breaths...I start having a conversation with myself on the side of the road. Don’t worry, this condition is common to most people exercising in the early stages, you will become mentally stable as you get fitter. I figured, as I approached the downside of the slope I could run for a longer stint...so I did...I just took it easy on the way down & really enjoyed gravity as I leaned back- ever so slightly...eventually as always, I came to a walking pace, but enjoyed this down slope for another few minutes of walk/jog and so on...

Well all good thing come to an end...I had to turn around and head for home...Breakfast was beckoning...as I turn...OMG 1.5km or uphill...not to worry, this is where I stagger/walk/stagger/walk and so on...as my heart rate drops and I can now breath a little easier, I can now start my uphill approach...Micro Burst :lol: of walk/jog/walk, that is to say the same as when I came down, but at much smaller increments...This way the trip home was bearable but still beneficial.

I have to say, the inclusion of using a pulse monitoring watch has been very helpful. For my temperament it helps me not to worry when I am walking as I can clearly see my pulse rate racing away & then when I do start jogging again I enjoy seeing it rise dramatically. (well that’s why avatar emote is using a hammer up there) But yea, that pulsar watch really helps me to pace myself...Thanks for the loan Chris.

Well that’s that...I've got house work to do before my next training session...I hope you enjoyed my run...I know if I keep it up< I will soon be able to enjoy it..Have a good day all :D
Dave

Next

Return to Personal Progress