It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:39 am

Free Newsletter

Ali's Progress!

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Ali's Progress!

Postby ali » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:41 pm

Well, after a terrible day of binging Ive decided its time to start my own progress page where I will have to admit to everything I have been doing, good or bad! Hopefully the shame of writing up my binge will convince me not to do it again! I have to become accountable for ALL of my actions! Hopefully this helps... Be kind!

So... I hadnt seen my bf in 8 days, too long for me, and I was missing him heaps so he drove up to see me yesterday, Yay! But the next morning (this morning) I had to rush off early to uni, leaving him sleeping in my bed, and then he left before I got home. When I got the msg I was so upset. Living alone gets hard at times, I get so lonely and I miss my bf constantly! So, for "comfort" I turned to food. Bad Ali!

My day... Here goes!

BREAKFAST:
3/4 cup just right
1/2 cup skim milk
peppermint tea

MORNING TEA:
small yoghurt with berries on top

LUNCH:
2 minute noodles

AFTERNOON TEA:
1/2 bag of dove peppermint pods (bad bf leaving them behind! lol) 1/2 blueberry bagel with low fat philly
1 large chocolate chip cookie

AAGHH! There, I said it! I still feel sick even though I stopped eating hours ago. Binging is horrible. It didnt make me feel better at all, just worse!

But, on the good side, I walked to and from the train stations to get to uni and back which totals about 1hr and 20 mins of walking, plus walking around campus all day. And I drank 2L of water.

Well, tomorrow is a new day and hopefully it will see more exercise and less binging on my behalf! Time to get back on the weight loss wagon! Lol.

P.S sorry about the long post, I just needed to get that off my chest! :shock:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w0XqXGi/]
[/url]
GOAL 1: 59KG - 30/12/07
GOAL 2: 56KG
GOAL 3: 53KG
ali

Postby chubbywife79 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:56 am

I'm sorry to hear you have to live without your bf. Your eating habits aren't that bad. I haven't eaten properly this week. I hope tomorrow be better for you.

Rochelle
chubbywife79

Postby Dave » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:28 am

Sorry to hear you getting a bit lonely there ali. I know what than can be like. I am not the solitude type.

Eating problem!!! Honestly I can't see one there. I know where all different, but I'd have to say if you ever started to get into an exercise routine, you would actually need to eat more than that. Or perhaps that if you are exercising that you should consider eating more. Walking is great to help in getting fit. It's how I started. I tried jogging but hurt my shins...after walking somewhat and picking up the intensity I have now found bicycle ridding an excellent cardio workout.

I like peppermint tea as well...I actually like your food list there, I would have a bigger breakfast & lunch is all :) Where all different I guess. I hope you see your bf soon.

Take care ali
"Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action"
.................. Image...............
Dave

Postby ali » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:00 pm

Thanks for the support guys, its nice having people to listen to your whinges! My bf hates listening to me complain about my weight because he doesnt think I need to lose weight. But im so uncomfortable with the way I look, and im only 160cm tall!

I had another bad day today. Im getting sick with a cold again, and its making me so tired and miserable! I didnt go for a walk this morning either because I just couldnt wake up! Then, i had a long day at uni and didnt stop til 3, by which time I was starving! So I went to the food court and spent ages drooling over all the bad food that I could have. But I resisted and had a turkey and salad sandwich! Yay!

So... here is today!

BREAKFAST:
3/4 cup Just right
1/2 cup of skim milk
Peppermint Tea

MORNING TEA:
1 apple
6 strawberries

LUNCH:
Turkey and salad sandwich on wholemeal bread
600 mL water

AFTERNOON TEA:
1 diet coke

DINNER:
1 med. carrot
1/2 cup sugar snap peas
65g chicken breast marinated in honey and soy sauce and 1/4 onion
1/8 cup (uncooked) rice

TOTAL: 1,107 calories
WATER: 2L (well it will be by the time I go to bed, lol)
EXERCISE: 1hr and 20min walking to uni. Hopefully an Abs and Butt dvd tonight but we'll see...

P.S with the cereal for breakfast, should I be having less? That is the serving size suggested on the box. I measure it to make sure it is exact. Just wondering how much other people eat for breakfast.
[/url]
ali

Postby milkyway » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:42 pm

Hey Ali - sounds like you're doing well :) I hope you feel better soon and you don't get 'fully sick'.

Not sure about your breakie as I don't eat cereal. You could check on http://www.calorieking.com.au to find out what their idea of a serving size is, vs what the cereal company tells you, which is likely to be much more than a recommended serving size :P
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Dave » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:13 pm

I'd say even given your height & avatar...I take it that is you in that avatar?...you look as if your body type is similar to mine...mesomorphic. That is to say...if you did weights...”not that you would want to”; that you would put muscle on easily, but at the same time, if you got lazy you may put on unwanted amounts of fat. I'm just assuming here, but if this is true, I would encourage you to do some light resistance training ali, as I don’t think you need to train hard at that, and the added bonus of a little muscle mass will only benefit your metabolism on burning more fat.

Keep working on that walking, but pick up the pace and concentrate on getting your heart rate to increase to a point that takes the same amount of effort as it does not to eat something that you so dearly want. You look like a pro when it comes to the calorie counting, mabey just put some more effort into your cardio.

Sorry....you actually asked about the amount of breaky :) Weather your walking or not, No…I don’t see it as a prob myself. I know that despite weather you lower your calories without real exercise that your body will not continue to lose weight. It won’t be fooled. I think you’re like a gymnast, you need to bounce around some more :P
"Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action"
Dave

Postby ali » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:30 pm

Thanks for the advice dave. What sort of resistance training would you advise that I do? I used to go the gym and had a good cardio and weights routine going, however, I can no longer afford the gym and I find it hard to be motivated to do alternate and free exercise. I used to get so motivated at the gym and I could feel my muscles getting stronger and toned, but since stopping its all turned to flab!

I know I need to work on my exercise, Im trying! Im just starting out again after a long break! Lol, so Im taking it slowly. Ive also been so busy with uni and tired! And when it comes to the crunch, I put my uni work before exercise so it often means I go without exercise so I can do all my uni work. I'll have to try and get up when my alarm goes off in the morning instead of snoozing for an hour! The morning is the only time I can really exercise.

Tomorrow Im going to start exercising properly! I promise! Haha. Fingers crossed! :D
[/url]
ali

Postby madeline » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:31 pm

God I hate exercise :D You should post your food diaries up on the daily food diary part of the forum! We're a friendly bunch haha.

You asked what people have for breakfast... well mine is either a mug of green tea with citrus, sometimes with a bowl of chopped up fruit (5 strawberries and a banana). I eat lunch fairly early, 11:30ish, so if I don't have the fruit my breakfast and lunch is combined at 11:30am. Working fine at the moment.

*hugs* to you about your bf... it's hard sometimes. I've seen mine every 2nd day or so for over 3 years, but once we were apart for 35 days from dec-jan 2005 (christmas and new years eve :cry: ) because he went to visit relos in toowoomba, and I was on vacation in perth. It was horrible being apart for my favourite time of year.

I'm sure your bf is thinking of you while you guys are apart :) , how long have you been together?
"Ððñ'† µ wï§h ¥ðµr gïrl£rïêñÐ wå§ hð† lïkê mê, Ððñ'† ¥å ßåߥ ;)"
CW- 57kgs, GW- 53kgs (8kgs lost!)
madeline

Postby ali » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:01 am

Hey Madeline, thanks for the advice! Ive just started exercising this morning. It actually makes you feel heaps better once you've done it, but its so hard to start! Im not a big fan of it either!

My bf and I have been together for almost 15months. He's the best! Yay! Hehe. :D But I only see him every 5 days! Grr. I also had to spend heaps of time away from him during the christmas holidays as I went to Europe with my family for a bit over 3 weeks, and then two weeks after I got home he went to Army Reserves training for 4 weeks! It was soooo hard getting through that time especially because I couldnt call him! And whats worse is that we want to get a place tog but because we go to uni in different areas, we have to wait til we've both finished uni, which is like 5 yrs away! So I'll be putting up with this for a while! Lol. The things we do for love. Lol.
[/url]
ali

Postby KimE » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:32 am

I too mostly have cereal for breakfast and alternate between muesli, weet-bix and all-bran with oats sometimes too. I have 1 ½ cups of skinny milk everyday which I got used to whilst doing lite n easy so some of that is on my cereal the rest I drink with breakfast. I too stick with the serving size on the box but checking on calorie king is also a good idea. Although two weetbix isn’t enough so on weetbix days I either have one extra weetbix or a piece of toast with low fat cheese and tomato. Generally speaking breaky is my biggest meal and I love it even though it is only cereal. Just sets me up for the day. Try to get your cals to 1200 each day as it’s not recommended for women to go below that. I was doing 1200 cals myself but found as I increased my exercise I got hungry at odd times of the day. I ended up increasing my morning tea as I workout during my lunch hour and once I included a bit more protein it turned out to be a great pre-workout snack. I increased my cals by around 200 when I started exercising. It takes a bit of trial and error I know but it will get easier.

When I started doing resistance workouts I bought a book called Simply Strength from Angus and Robertson and it included a DVD. They give about 8 basic exercises that covers the whole body and a great way to get started, it shows you how to use things around the house for resistance. The other thing is maybe getting some resistance bands or avon sell this thing that is a fitball with resistnace bands attached. The PT’s on here may be able to give you more advice on whether they are worth the money.

Your doing great though so stick with it and you will get to your goal.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Dave » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:39 pm

Hi again Ali,
KimE is spot on...I also like dumbbells. They are quick and easy & store under the bed. You can do literally thousands of exercises with them as well as locate program guides for free off the net. I like the exercise ball that KimE mentioned but am waiting to pay a few bills before getting that.

All in all.................starting out with Body resistance will amaze you, It did me! Pushups will help your shoulders/chest & back, then there is chin ups/squats & many more...In fact using the body for resistance training will cost 0 dollars and can be done wherever your standing. It is also one of the easiest ways to incorporate resistance and cardio together in one workout.

It's a lot to take in all at once...you can go ahead with what KimE suggests, search Google on Body resistance for a beginners program & or take the same approach with the dumbbells.

Just make sure, that in the beginning you get your mind into the decision...go read my "Another Inconvenient truth" post in My Progress section, to help understand why people Hate exercising and why we need to. Or simply just go search for similar material to encourage and help set you mind into the groove.

You’re doing really well Ali, I just wanted to inspire you and perhaps gently push you onto the next level within the exercise realm.
Dave

Postby seraph » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:52 pm

hellooooo there. First of all I want to say good on you for the turkey sandwich. i know what it's like after spending all day at uni and going to the food court and seeing donuts and burgers etc etc. You feel like you could eat the whole shop. So I also know what will power it takes to say no when you're really hungry. Well done!!!

Also wanted to make a suggestion about the weights thing. If you are, as Dave suggesed, a mesomorph, yes you'll out on muscle very easily, but if you're like me (a meso-endomorph) you'll also put on fat easily. I had the problem when I exercised that because I'm mesomorphic I tended to put on a lot of muscle very quickly and it doesn't always look so nice. And before anybody says anything, yes, I was using light weights and lots of reps etc etc. What I've found which is really great is callenetics because it uses your own body weight as resistence. You can do it at home without any weights or bands or anything and it really works. It also gives you those long ballet dancer type muscles (being designed by a former ballerina). Wow, I sound like a home shop ad. I can give you the exercises if you like. I'm going to start doing to again too.

Good luck for the rest of your day :) I'm going to try your food journal idea :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woXTuV6/]
[/url]
seraph

Postby ali » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:00 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, its been so helpful!!!

So.. Here's today!

BREAKFAST:
3/4 cup just right
1/2 cup skim milk
peppermint tea

SNACK:
1 Banana

LUNCH:
Turkey and salad sandwich

SNACK:
1 Diet Coke
Grapes

DINNER:
1 carrot
1/2 cup sugar snap peas
1/8 cup (uncooked) rice
65g chicken breast with curry paste, onion and skim milk

EXERCISE:
15mins warm up
55mins walking
15mins ab exercises
10mins stretching

TOTAL: 1,283 calories
WATER: 2L
:D
[/url]
ali

Postby MickeyB » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:36 pm

Loads of excellent advice here! Great to see that you're on track and doing well with the food intake.

I was going to say that 1200cal would be a good lower limit to stick to as well, especially if you're exercising, it's very hard ot fit all the nutrients that you need for the day into anything less than that. And you'll probably find that eventually it'll turn into a fine line between your body using the food and storing it because it's not getting enough energy.

With the brekkie cereal I used to use the weight measure but some cereals it doens't work out right because sometimes one raisin adds 10gm, not good when 30gm is a serve LOL I have a fruit and nut natural muesli for brekkie everyday and just have 1/2 a cup, and don't really eat any other type of cereal except porridge anymore. When I was eating other things I used to use the recommendation on the side of the pack for cup measures and if it was listed as a weight measure I just went with half a cup. I think sometimes eating a little more at brekkie helps to keep the cravings and overeating at bay during the day.

You can pick up a fitball with bands attached to it for $30 at Target, and Aldi has great 10kg dumbell sets (3 sets of dumbells) for $20. They're nice too, gel coated, and most things like that come with a poster of exercises to do. Another option is to hire out some fitness DVD's from Blockbuster or something and doing something different every week. And Dave is spot on too, have a look online for different workouts. If you check out http://www.sparkpeople.com it gives you hundreds of different simple muscle type workouts that you can do at home, with pictures to demonstrate.

Anyway, blabbed on enough! Keep up the great work :)
Mic
Waiting for baby #4 to arrive then getting stuck into losing the 25kg that needs to come off!
MickeyB

Postby KimE » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:01 pm

Looking good Ali, you're on the right track.

Body weight resistance exercises are certainly very good for you as the others have said and zero dollars to set up. Lunges, squats, push ups, sit ups, bench dips, chin ups (if you have a nice high bar, I never had that) there's loads more you could probably find with a good search on the internet. All of these can be done with no weights as such, just using your own body weight. The only thing I would add is to make sure you read how to perform them (if you haven't done them before) so that your technique is right as this can make a difference on your muscles, posture and joints etc which goes for all resistance exercises.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Next

Return to Personal Progress