It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:18 am

Free Newsletter

Macca's progress

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

Macca's progress

Postby Macca » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:18 pm

So, I'm going to use this for various rants and ravings, including:
    Exercise log
    Weight goals (got to get me one of those ticker thingy's)
    Good news for the boys
    Good news for me
    Not so good - reminder to not do it again.

In terms of exercise goals, I will try to exercise three times a week for a minimum of 40 minutes with 20 minutes being within my weight loss zone (60% - 70% max HR).

Week ending 7/10:
Thu - swim - Ex mins = 40, Tz mins = ??
Sat - cycle, jog, cycle- Ex mins = 40, Tz mins = 20
Sun - walk - Ex mins = 76, Tz mins = 32
Weekly goals - frequency :), Ex mins :), Tz mins :D

Week ending 14/10:
Mon - cycle, jog, cycle - Ex mins = 42, Tz mins = 20
For the boys ...
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w5JBbeq/]
[/url]
Macca

Postby tamlee » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:20 pm

Sounds good Macca and welcome to the forum :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wlFCALM/]
[/url]
tamlee

Postby shelbel » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:24 pm

Welcome Macca, yep the progress pages are very good for venting and ranting!! :D

Good luck with your weight and exercise goals!
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Weight goals ...

Postby Macca » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:20 am

Ok, worked late - so didn't get the scales.

However, did check both S's and my height and have spent some time researching healthy weight goals:

S - H = 1.52m, target BMI = 17.7, target weight = 41 kgs
Me - H = 1.73m, target BMI = 22, target weight = 66 kgs

I think I'm around 85 kgs, and S is around 45 kgs - although he has to lose less he will feel it more because of his level of activity.

Now, for yesterday's good
[list=]Exercised to goals
Didn't snack out
Didn't over eat[/list]
Not so good
[list=]Scarfed a pack of lollies
Worked late, so ate dinner late
Worked late, so didn't exercise this morning[/list]
Well, there it is ...
For the boys ...
[/url]
Macca

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:29 pm

hey macca

do you have a desk job? my fiance has a desk job and i find that he hardly gets a chance to eat properly at work- sometimes his only meal of the day is at night at dinner. keep up the great work, remember small changes lead to big things!
kate_turner2000

Desk job?

Postby Macca » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:45 pm

Yes, I do have a desk job - in fact most of my work involves sitting around and talking to people - so very sedantry.

I think this is part of my current problem - I used to be able to get up and move around and do things, but most of the time now I have people in my office and I never burn off the fat.

Add to that an incessant stream of emails, and I am often here till after 10pm leading to really crappy eating habits as well.

One thing I can do is schedule meetings in other buildings which might get me up and moving a bit more.

Ok, off to buy a sandwich ... not a pie, and definitely no chips! :wink:
For the boys ...
[/url]
Macca

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:19 pm

hey macca ah i see youre in sydney too. my fiance works in north sydney for a law firm. enjoy your sandwich!!
kate_turner2000

Ticker test ...

Postby Macca » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:26 pm

For the boys ...
[/url]
Macca

Daily update

Postby Macca » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:43 am

Exercise for week ending 14/10:
Wed - walk - Ex mins = 41, Tz mins = 5 :(

But there's a good reason, so I'm not too worried. A-Mac (5 yo) got himself up and came with S-Mac and me this morning, which is exactly the sort of attitude I want to reinforce.

Walking with a 5 year old does not push the intensity - he spent most of the time chatting - pointing out all the trees in flower, the lorikeets sipping the nectar and the rabbits bounding down the track ahead of us. We did have a lovely time. S jogged a few of the sections so probably got a better work out than I did.

Yesterday's food diary:
The good
    Ate healthy breakfast - fresh OJ, coffee, muesli, 2 spoons yoghurt
    No between meal snacks
    Healthy lunch - turkey, avocado and salad sanger, Coke zero (are these OK?)
    Mrs Mac asked me to go to the supermarket from the office, which is usually pretty dangerous for me - but I had an apple as I left the office and got through the shopping without having to resort to a sugary snack
    Healthy dinner - small amount of pasta, large serving of sauce (meat & tomatoes, no fatty stuff).
The not so good
    Water *gasp* ... water *gasp* - simply not drinking enough
    Had way too much cheese on the pasta
    Scarfed four mini-muffins just before going to bed - as a reward for being so good during the day - how dumb is that?

I've been thinking about this last point a lot since it happened - not in terms of beating myself up about it, but because we always seem to resort to food as the quick reward.

This comes through from those who are successfully on maintenance programs as well - it appears to be their greatest struggle. Thinking about this has at least helped me understand why my previous efforts have failed - because I reach my goal weight and then think that I can go back to eating whatever I want.

I guess it comes from
    our upbringing ("be a good boy, and you can have an ice cream" and "you can only have dessert if you all the healthy food first")
    our agrarian history (a good hearty meal at the end of a hard days' work - only difference is their hard days work burnt off about 7 billion kJ and I burn of about 2000 kJ)
    our hunter-gatherer instincts (find food, yay - you found it/captured it/hunted it/killed it ... now eat it, eat all of it, eat it now).

I don't think it's instinct, but this behaviour has been ingrained for millenia so it is no wonder that we struggle.

But, given I like the fact that I don't have to go and chase down an antelope for dinner, I also need to use the nut in my noggin to overcome this ingrained behaviour.
For the boys ...
[/url]
Macca

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:54 am

hey macca

*claps* thats great news that your sons went for a walk with you. even though the intensity wasnt as high as it would have if you were walking alone, you are instilling the right things into your sons about exercise and fitness and you are getting to bond with them too.

well done on the supermarket expedition! if i sent mick to the supermarket he would come home with all sorts of goodies lol.

i agree with what you have said about the hunter gatherer thing as well. its funny how times HAVENT changed.

keep up the great work.
kate_turner2000

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:28 pm

They are some really good insights!! I try and thing of food as being a tool to keep me alive rather than being alive to eat food!! doesn't always work, but it helps :D

LOL at your 5yo, that's so cute. Is S-Mac capable of looking after A-Mac while you run ahead and back? If so, you and S-Mac could take turns running/sprinting say 200m ahead and then back while the other looks after A-Mac going at a slower pace - kinda like tag. A-Mac will probably want to run after you, but that'll just make you both work harder!! And so long as you make it fun ("yay, go daddy go!!") it'd be a great "bonding" exercise too!!!

Also, 200m ish is not too far a distance so you'd be within earshot at least, even if you round a bend or something, AND it'd be like interval training which is a great fat burner.

Just an idea I had
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Macca » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:26 pm

Actually, that's a fantastic idea!

Because one of the things I was a little concerned about this morning is that S would finish his jog and then stop, stand there and wait for us to catch up. If he jogged out and back, then kept walking and I did the same thing that would add another 25%-50% on the distance and get and keep our respective heart rates up.

The area we walk the little one knows really well anyway, so even if he was on his own for a little while he'd just keep going.

We'll try that next time - thanks for the tip!
For the boys ...
[/url]
Macca

Postby Macca » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:11 am

Exercise for week ending 14/10:
Wed - walk - Ex mins = 41, Tz mins = 5
Thu - walk - Ex mins = 41, Tz mins = 10

My HR strap was playing up this morning as well - I'd glance at the watch sometimes and it would show 00 and other times 178 (I think if my HR was 178 I would be on the verge of cardiac arrest). I actually think I probably was in the zone for around 20 minutes - I worked up enough of a sweat to suggest I was.

A-Mac got me up, got himself ready and was keen to go. S-Mac swam squad last night and was still asleep by the time we were ready so we let him have a lie in. A-Mac loved the idea of interval training and ran a couple of sections with me and just kept walking when I went ahead. It will work really well when S comes with us.

Got the scales, and I'm slightly under in my estimations - my CW = 85.2kg, and S is 45.9 - but not too far off.

Food yesterday - hmm, great during the day then the wheels fell off last night. Our accountant came over for a meeting so there were biscuits, cake and lollies around to keep sugar levels and motivation high as we ploughed through the numbers until after midnight. Not good.
For the boys ...
[/url]
Macca

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:15 am

I'm so glad it worked!! And it's so great that your kids are joining in! How much fun is that!! Exercise plus time with dad, man your kids must think you're the best dad ever!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:18 pm

jeez macca talk about having a late night! sounds like you are doing the hard yards and the work will pay off :)
kate_turner2000

Next

Return to Personal Progress