It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:32 am

Free Newsletter

Macca's progress

Record your personal weight loss progress here.

Moderators: Dolly, Moderators

My dim, dark secret ...

Postby Macca » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:11 pm

I have to get a little confession out just to make myself feel as though I'm being completely honest.

I sort of started this whole thing a few weeks ago - well at least the exercise side of it. I have been cycling, swimming, jogging and walking on a pretty regular basis for close to a month. I knew I had to do something as things were getting out of hand, which started me off.

I've only really been monitoring food intake though since I joined the forum - so that's a good outcome.

I'm a business man, so I like the idea of having a plan and working the plan and reporting my results - good and bad. Kind of fits with what I do during the day.

So, this is all good - but my confession is that I must have been heaps heavier a month ago. I don't really want to think what my starting weight was with all of this, but it could well have been over 90 kg. There are circumstances around why that occurred, but the bottom line is that I lost control over a number of aspects of my life and put myself in a situation that could have been fatal.

I can never, ever let that happen again.

Now, the good thing from starting the exercise some weeks ago is that this is the first week for a month where my legs are not constantly aching from the muscle soreness - so I must be getting somewhere!
For the boys ...
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w5JBbeq/]
[/url]
Macca

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:58 pm

hey macca
seems like you have come a long way before we even met you, so well done! i think its great that you can look back at why things happened and how you took control of the situation- experience in life really helps with the tough times. keep up the great work!
kate_turner2000

Weekly update ...

Postby Macca » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:25 am

Weigh in at end of week 1:
Macca: SW = 85.2 kg, CW = 84.4 kg, loss of 0.8 kg - :)
S-Mac: SW = 45.9 kg, CW = 46.4 kg, gain of 0.5 kg :(

Exercise for week ending 14/10:
Mon - cycle, jog, cycle - Ex mins = 42, Tz mins = 20
Wed - walk - Ex mins = 41, Tz mins = 5
Thu - walk - Ex mins = 41, Tz mins = 10
Weekly goals - frequency :) , Ex mins :) , Tz mins :roll:

End of last weekend and the weekend didn't work out so well, but that was anticipated.

Took the children to a music festival on the south coast on Saturday, then took my mother to lunch for her birthday yesterday.

Was quite pleased that I didn't really blow out at either occasion, although it appears S did - he was very tired towards the end of last week and didn't really exercise much after Wednesday so it coule be fluid retention in his case as well.

Didn't get to exercise this morning as it was first day back at school and the house was (naturally) in chaos.
For the boys ...
[/url]
Macca

Postby Mandie » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:55 pm

You're doing well. Don't worry too much about S - he will get there. Keep showing a healthy example and encouraging him with the exercise and healthy food choices - it DOES work. Sometimes with kids it is better to show rather than tell, if you know what I mean?

I know when I was younger, if my aunty/uncle/grandparents told me I was too fat or I should eat healthier, I would make it a point to eat giant pieces of chocolate cake in front of them - rebellious! But if everyone just encouraged me when I did well (i.e., you look great today) and ignored it when I didn't.. and led by example (if everyone is eating the cake, I wanted the cake! But if no-one had any - I wouldn't!) then I think I would have managed a healthier lifestyle.

I think what you are doing is fantastic - for your health, and for the health of your children. Way to go :)
Mandie

Today's update ...

Postby Macca » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:22 am

Yesterday's intake:
The good
    Healthy lunch - sandwich and some fruit
    Water - though still not enough
    Light dinner - not too many carbs
    No coffee during the day - yay!
The not so good
    Not so healthy breakfast - didn't have it at home and grabbed a flavoured milk and a breakfast bar at a petrol station - :oops:
    Scarfed some crackers after dinner.

A-Mac woke with the sun and got me up for a walk. He got himself ready and was busting to go. S-Mac started his exam prep last night and got to bed half an hour later than his usual time so I let him sleep in. I'm sure he'll come good again as he settles into the school routine.

Only had time for a short walk as we needed to make sure we got home in reasonable time to get ready for school. Did a few little intervals, but was pretty tired myself and was pleased just to be up and moving after a 5 day break from the exercise.

My HR strap played up again this morning - maybe I need to tighten it? Perhaps the batteries are running out?

Also, did a waist measurement this morning - 103 cms - yikes! Not sure what my target should be, but as long as this number is lower than where it is now I'll be happy.

Exercise for week ending 21/10:
Tue - Walk- Ex mins = 34, Tz mins = 8, Av HR = 106
For the boys ...
[/url]
Macca

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:09 am

Fantastic to get back on track! Hopefully before you know it it wil be a habit!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Macca » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:40 pm

Tue - Walk - Ex mins = 34, Tz mins = 8, Av HR = 106
Fri - Cycle - Ex mins = 36, Tz mins = 11, Av HR = 103

A gentle cycle for A, S and me today, as S is finally getting back to feeling human. With the big weekend, then back to school and the panic over final term assessments, pretty much all exercise went out the window for him because he was so tired.

Food the last couple of days has been OK, although I had a staff lunch today and pizza was the order. Funny how when you eat crap after eating well for a few days you just feel bloated and bleh!
For the boys ...
[/url]
Macca

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:43 pm

hey macca you are doing well, sounds like thngs have been hectic in your household with school!!
kate_turner2000

Postby Macca » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:17 pm

We are lucky in that all three of our boys really like school and try really hard to do their best at it. Unfortunately, sometimes that means they put themselves under a bit of pressure to do well in assessments and projects.

Classic over-achiever attributes.

With S, he is also trying out for a music scholarship which requires auditions in two instruments in 5 weeks time so he actually put himself under quite a lot of pressure this week.

He studied late on 2 nights and decided not to swim squad last night because he wanted to practice.

It's hard because we want them to take responsibility, which he's clearly doing, but you also want them to try and put things into perspective and not burn out.
For the boys ...
[/url]
Macca

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:35 pm

i have all that to look forward to, my daughter is turning two in december. being a parent is hard work! but i bet your proud :)
kate_turner2000

Weekly update ...

Postby Macca » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:18 am

Weigh in at end of week 2:
Macca: SW = 85.2 kg, GW = 66 kg, CW = 84.8 kg, weekly gain of 0.4 kg - :x
S-Mac: SW = 45.9 kg, GW = 41 kg, CW = 47.5 kg, weekly gain of 0.9 kg

Tue - Walk - Ex mins = 34, Tz mins = 8, Av HR = 106
Fri - Cycle - Ex mins = 36, Tz mins = 11, Av HR = 103
Sun - Walk - Ex mins = 40, Tz mins = ??, Av HR = ??
Weekly goals - frequency :) , Ex mins :( , Tz mins
:cry:

The situation is not good - my gain I can understand because I didn't exercise very much and had a bit of a blowout towards the end of the week, but S-Mac has put on weight three weeks in a row.

Not happy, Jan!

Exercise for week ending 28/10:
Mon - Walk - Ex mins = 25, Tz mins = ??, Av HR = ??

I was really demotivated (tired?) this morning, and fortunately S&A pushed me for a walk - but by the time we got out we almost had to turn around again. S&A did some "interval training" but I didn't bother - I was just pleased to be moving.

Have to get motivated again.
For the boys ...
[/url]
Macca

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:35 pm

hey macca

just think, xmas day is coming up, im sure you are looking forward to looking fit and fab and enjoying the day with your family- good company and great food :) hope that helps motivate you!!
kate_turner2000

Postby Mandie » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:33 pm

yeah, like kate said, find something that motivates you - xmas or another goal date coming up? special occasion? and get back on that weight loss wagon! you can do it :)
Mandie

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:10 pm

Maybe S-Mac is putting on muscle? He's a youngun, so maybe he's putting a growth spurt in?

Remember that no matter what the scales say, any positive changes you make are good for your health (and the boys!)
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Macca » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:32 am

Thanks for positive vibes - they are genuinely appreciated.

But I've worked out what the problem is ... I've come down with a head cold. It must have been brewing over the weekend, incubating yesterday when I didn't feel like exercising because this morning it's hatched and I feel awful.

Not deathly, but there was no way I was getting out of bed to exercise this morning.

My problem with S is that we've always made excuses because he is tall and because he is active and he is not obese.

But the reality is that he eats too much for a boy his age. Not a lot of junk, but man size portions.

He used to train for and play rugby 5 times a week, as well as swimming squad 3 times a week so his weight would be fairly stable.

Now that rugby season is over but hasn't changed his eating habits it's piling on. That's what we have to watch and educate him about.

Again, taking the less obvious approach and telling him that it is to give him more speed in the pool, make him fitter for basketball - whatever, just so he doesn't resist and go in the opposite direction.

It would be good to make these changes before next winter because he is going to drop club rugby because of his school work and music work, and everyone seems to eat more in winter anyway.
For the boys ...
[/url]
Macca

PreviousNext

Return to Personal Progress