It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:44 am

Free Newsletter

Associating eating with a location

Share and get help to overcome your emotional eating issues here.

Moderator: Moderators

Associating eating with a location

Postby smileyk » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:31 pm

I have a very odd obsession with eating as soon as i walk in the door of my home. I can be at times feeling full, but as soon as i get home i just want to eat. In order to combat this i exercise regularly and limit myself mostly to low calorie, nutritious foods such as fruit and vegies, but this i can only see as a short term solution. I am worried that when winter comes i will be stuck at home more and will gain weight due to this obsession of mine.
As soon as i walk in the door my mind is on food and i just cannot switch it off until i leave. Once out of the house (or if i'm at my boyfriend's) food is the least of my concearns (unless i actually AM hungry).
How do i train my mind/body to lose the association of home with eating? I know i can just leave the house and go outside, but i'm really hoping that someone may have a suggestion for a way in which i can be in this house
and NOT thinking about food.

Thanks in advance.

Kylie :)
smileyk

Re: Associating eating with a location

Postby Fireball » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:08 pm

All I can think of is keeping busy. Maybe because you have ready access to food it is easy to go and get it whenever you want. Clear all the treats out of your house so you dont have any interesting foods to think about?

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby NewMe » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:02 pm

Why do you immediately want to eat when home?
Do you feel stressed about something to do with your house/family?
I think there is a deeper connection here and until you resolve the feelings making you want to eat it may not be easily resovable.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wqW2v1C/]
[/url]
NewMe

Postby SarahC » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:53 am

Wow, Kylie, I think I have the exact same obsession as you!! Myself, first thing I do when I walk in the door is straight to the food. Even if I've just been out for a big dinner, doesn't matter. My parents were once at my house when I arrived home from work, and watched me get my dinner ready.... they said they had never seen me move so fast, I was like a whirlwind, or a thing posessed!!!

LOL, the only thing I can suggest is to try to do something else... like cleaning. There's always something that needs to be cleaned!! Or some kind of hobby or other interest, something that you can't eat and do at the same time.... like, if you're patient enough, some kind of art/craft where you can't have food around it. Sorry I'm not much help, I'm in the same boat :?
SarahC

Postby SarahC » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:07 am

ooh, I've got some hypnosis tapes that I'm trying. I wonder if something like that would help?? Or anything else relaxing, like meditation, or a nice bath, something like that....
SarahC

Postby Czarina » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:53 pm

Try and create a new association. For example, as soon as you get in the door, go and drink a glass of water (good way to get your water in too!), or get on the computer, whatever suits you. Do this for a couple of weeks and you should have replaced your habit with a positive one!
Czarina

Return to Emotional Eating