It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:02 am

Free Newsletter

Boredom

Share and get help to overcome your emotional eating issues here.

Moderator: Moderators

Boredom

Postby grugwashere » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:01 pm

i often find myself contstantly eating when i dont have anything to do, i find it near impossible to watch tv without stuffing myself with anything and everything im surprised i havent eaten the cat.....
i suppose when i am down i eat more too.... because i am bored because i dont do alot when im down..... how can i keep entertained....
joan
SW:91kg
CW:75kg
GW: Somwhere in the 60's for now

Next mini goal:73kg
grugwashere

Postby Dolly » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:45 am

Sometimes we eat not because we are down or bored, but because we have just gotten into a bad comfortable routine.
The only thing I can think of to do is, during your moments of high energy, go to the kitchen and prepare your snacks
(1) A salad (and put it to the side) sometimes if it's stored in the fridge the coldness alone can stop you wanting to eat it) then
(2) prepare a couple of diet jellies (making jelly snakes is a good idea)
(3) A vegetable soup.
(4) chop up two cups of fruit, can be added to 1 cup of raw porridge and 1 cup of yoplus light plain yogurt.
(5) buy a popcorn maker (air popped) and eat a few cups full without flavouring.

(6) Jelly snakes
1 packet of diet jelly
1 tablespoon (or one sachet) of gelatine
half a cup of boiling water.

Pour onto a dinner plate and let it set at room temperature.
When its set, slice into strips to resemble jelly snakes.
It's a good snack to take to the movies too.
Dolly

Postby SarahC » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:00 pm

Yum... jelly snakes! I'll have to try making those :D

Something that might work... Write down a list of activities that you will do when you feel the need to eat. For example, going for a walk, calling a friend, taking a shower, brushing your teeth. Make as long a list as you can. Then put it on your fridge. That way when you go into the kitchen, you can see it, and you can pick something off your list to go do instead 8)

I have a problem with eating at night. So the last few nights what I have done is to finish everthing that I have to do in the kitchen, then leave the room and turn off the light. The kitchen is now closed! If I want to go back and make a cup of tea, I have to do it in the dark :)
SarahC

Postby grugwashere » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:01 pm

the jelly snakes do sound yummy.... and thats a very good idea about the list... im going to make one right now...
:D thanks.
joan.
SW:91kg
CW:75kg
GW: Somwhere in the 60's for now

Next mini goal:73kg
grugwashere

Postby Mandie » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:02 pm

yep, my "danger" time for boredom eating is when i come home from uni, before dinner - I spend that time from 5pm-7pm or so just snacking, and then I eat dinner!

But, not anymore!

I distract myself but going into my room and reading, or studying.

Or, the best way? Go for a walk, go to the gym, do some exercise - not only did you not snack, but you got some exercise and burned calories!
Mandie

Postby laura21 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:15 pm

I am a five til seven eater too...in summer i try to go for a cycle along the river at that time which is lovely, or even have a bubble bath before dinner which distracts me a bit!
laura21

Postby I Can Do It » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:58 am

This is one of my biggest problems - boredom eating! I don't eat much on my days off, but once I get to work........ggrrrr.......
I will get there by the last day of 2007!!!
I Can Do It

Return to Emotional Eating