It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:18 pm

Free Newsletter

Night time is my problem!

Share and get help to overcome your emotional eating issues here.

Moderator: Moderators

Night time is my problem!

Postby tess » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:39 am

Hi !!
My problem time is at night after the kids go to bed. My husband usually falls asleep early and I'm left sitting in the loungeroom with no-one to talk to and nothing to do except stuff my face with chips and chocolate (which I know I shouldn't have in the house to start with, but I don't like depriving my kids - who are very fit and skinny).
When I was just about to reach for the chips last night, I decided to look for some motivational tips on the web - and thank goodness I found you guys. You have saved my waistline from another night of abuse.
Next time I'm feeling lonely or bored I know exactly what to do. You guys are life savers - thank you :D
tess

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:50 am

Image good work tess. it is usually times like that where you feel like scoffing yourself silly. how about you make up some healthy alternatives like fruit salad, vegie sticks with salsa, air popped popcorn, or some yoghurt. i swear by the jarrah hot chocolattes for that sugar craving. and sometimes ill sit on the lounge with my bottle of water and will sip on that instead of eating.
kate_turner2000

Postby Justjudy » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:57 am

It's nice to know that someone has the same problem as me. Being a single parent, when my kids go to bed it is just me, so it is easy to raid the fridge.

My strategies, apart from the forum, are to write in my journal (also keeps my head sane), ring friends, or to get out some stitching - I can't eat and stitch at the same time.

I also get out the old fitball if I want to watch TV. I should imagine it would be difficult to eat a bowl of icecream bouncing up and down on that. :lol:

Judy :D
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFABM9h/]
[/url]
Justjudy

Postby bluebox451 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:18 am

I just get out of the kitchen or even near the kitchen. I have a TV in my bedroom and its upstairs so that makes it easier. Under no circumstances do I go downstairs again unless there is an emergency.
If I need something I just ask someone to get it for me coz I know if I go there I will start hunting around in the fridge/cupboard for food which I dont really need.
Wow, that was the longest sentence ever! :shock:
Liz :D
bluebox451

Postby Dee » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:21 am

This seems to be a very common prob.

But I think you're on the right track. Turning to these amazing people for love and support when you're hitting a tough spot is guaranteed to help you through. After all who wants to be scoffing chips while you're reading about how well someone did at their workout, or offering someone advice on overcoming cravings!

Dee
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby chubba momma » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:14 pm

Hi there i have the same problem!! Always at night when teh two kids are asleep is when i seem to get this immense an dover whelming urge to eat junk!! Im so glad i foun d this site!
NO MORE EXCUSES!!
chubba momma

Postby Karma » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:18 am

I used to get really bored watching tv - I'd be interested in the program, but part of my brain would be thinking about what was in the fridge, what I could eat, etc.
So I started doing cross stitch. I can still pay attention to the program but my hands are occupied and not searching for food, that part of my brain is counting stitches and I now have several beautiful pieces to give to my grandparents for Christmas.
So try finding something to do - knitting, cross-stitch, even puzzles. Focus on whatever your doing - if you're thinking about that, you won't be thinking about food.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCmINhO/]
[/url]

Re: Night time is my problem!

Postby MVick07 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:12 am

I have a very similar program. For example im on this forum at 3:12 am (i tend to stay up late) and I have my dinner at around 8pm..... so there's plenty of time for me to get hungry :(

To counter it ive tried adopting celery, but dont know what long term affects that will have....

I tend to drink a lot of tea at night also, just to try and satisfy my growling stomach....
Weight @ 4/25: 95.2kg
Weight @ 11/6: 96.0kg CRAP!
MVick07

Postby girlsunday » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Night time is my problem too.
I found years ago that if i didn't buy it I wouldn't eat it, that helped.
Also another rule I made was, if its bad quality (chips and chocolate) don't buy it for anybody else either. They are not deprived by not having junk, they are blessed. Trouble is they may not know that, but its true.
Just recently my husband saw a show on TV where a weightloss expert (least he thought he was) said that only one dietry food? causes fat to be deposited on our bodies. AND ITS NOT FAT like we are continually told. Its SUGAR. You know, I rekon he is right. I found that to be true a few years back. I cut out most of my fruit (high in natural sugars) as I had been in the habit of hating sugar so wouldn't eat it anyway. I got skinny doing that. Like no bum and for me that was real skinny. I got over the nonsense after a while and got back to normal. A bum.
I have a couple of articles about these issues on my blog.
see yu in the soup
girlsunday
girlsunday

Postby liss » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:25 pm

My husband and I enable each other when it comes to night time snacking. We are each others worst enemy when it comes to this. Because usually I work evenings during the week the weekends are when we are able to sit together once our son is in bed and just relax and thats when the bad food comes out. Bad food and brain draining TV at night is my waistlines worst nightmare. I think I will have to look at reprogramming myself and my husbands habits but this will not be eay as TV is used as our escape from reality. Who knows maybe if I turn the TV off I might have to have a long meaningful conversation with him...ha ha...sorry I couldnt help myself. I think I will try the fitball thing..I found a chart in the paper pile the other day with all the exercises i can do with it. Instead of using it as a foot rest I should use it as an exercise ball. New Concept..wow...how do I come up with these! :lol: Liss
liss

Postby sarahm » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:35 pm

this is EXACTLY what got me into trouble in the first place! gained about 40kgs in 2 yrs doing the night-binge thing. have shed 27kgs-13 to go. trying to support my emotional needs with out food!
sarahm

Return to Emotional Eating