It is currently Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:47 am

Free Newsletter

Are your kid's watching Australia's Biggest Loser?

Discuss the hit TV show Australia's Biggest Loser here.

Moderator: Moderators

Are your kid's watching Australia's Biggest Loser?

Postby mummy2three » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:18 pm

Hello everyone,

I know this season has just started, but I'm interested to know if fourm parents are watching the show with their child/ren. As we are all here to loose weight, some a little and some a lot, it's great peering into the lives of people trying to achieve the same goal - WEIGHT LOSS.

My boys are 9 and 7 years and enjoy watching the BL .They've had a lot of questions about people who are 'overweight' and feel sad when contestants cry :cry:. Especially my eldest boy, he gets upset when people on the show say how they were (or are) teased about their weight. Having experienced that in my life too, I tell them that people come in all shapes and sizes and that you must consider other people's feelings.

Growing up in my family, weight was never really discussed. Now days with shows like the BL on television I wonder if it's has a positive or a negative impact on our kids?

So Mums and Dads, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks Lane :D
On a mission to return to 'PRE-BABY' glory days!
My loves Frazer 8, Clay 7 & Harper 2

mummy2three

Re: Are your kid's watching Australia's Biggest Loser?

Postby JP1 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:28 pm

Yeah my 7 and 9 yo's are watching too... have had different questions from them but I've always tried to impress a healthy lifestyle on them anyway and even more so over the last few months... can't say I had the teasing part as I've sorta just grown into my weight over time and any stick l took from my mates in that time was just par for the course banter wise as only blokes can do...

Its just so important to look after your kids health though and unless its a medical condition theres just no excuse for some of our kids to be overweight especially once the education is in place. Am trying not to be flippant there because education is the key... but unlike adults kids really don't have much say with their diet and so even overweight kids can lose weight over time if their parents have enough knowledge... unfortunately that education isn't in place for many and I include myself for many years in that too... although l was sensible enough to screen my kids from a lot of the unhealthy lifestyle l use to follow..
Highs : 107 Kg (24 Sept 2007) : 113.5 Kg (12 Jan 2014) : 112.5 Kg (26 Jan 2016)
Current :99.2 Kg (31 May 2016)
Lows : 78.4 Kg (20 May 2008) : 87.4 Kg (on 16 Dec in both 2009 & 2010) : 82.9 Kg (14 Apr 2011) : 87.1 Kg (4 Jul 2011) : 90.5 Kg (14 Jul 2014)
Target : 94 Kgs by 15th Jul
JP1

Postby Rustie » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:32 pm

My daughter watches the show with me. She is quiet concious of the good vs bad foods and that mummy makes her eat some things because they are good for her health. I think her seeing that other people struggle with their size keeps things in a different perspective. She is a very sctive little girl and i just hope im not setting her up for the same struggle to lose weight when she is older. There is quiet alot of very very good education at her school about food choices.
We all wish for the best for our kids.

SW: 80kg
CW: 78.5kg
GW: 60kg
Rustie

Postby Jodie91 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:50 pm

My 7 yr old son is watching it with me and was upset that he had to go to bed half way throught tonights ep :).Think he is enjoying the show mind you he has the attention span of a gold fish so it is not always easy to tell :D . He is really concerned with healthy eating at the moment so thats a good thing. Hopefully by instilling healthy eating in my kids young (7, 4 and 2) they wont have weight problems when they are older.
Cheers
Jodie
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wZZJpxa/]
[/url]
HOW WOULD YOU MAKE A MARRIAGE WORK?
Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a truck. -- Ricky, age 10
Jodie91

Postby mummy2three » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:58 pm

Hi John, Rustie and Jodie,

I totally agree that educating our kids about good eating habits is the key. Tonight my eldest son said that he wouldn't want to get as big as one contestant, sorry I forgot his name (his daughter is pregnant and due any day) because he has a bad heart. He's starting to realise it's not just how you look when you're really overweight, but the toll it takes on your body. That was a surprise to me and I'm pleased he's able to understand that 'looking good' is not as important as being healthy :D. Only time will tell if it follows on to when our kid's are adults. With three kids, I'm sure one of them will go on to have weight issues. Personally that seems to be the case with both my and hubbies family :roll:. But here's hoping that will change :wink:.
On a mission to return to 'PRE-BABY' glory days!
My loves Frazer 8, Clay 7 & Harper 2

mummy2three

Postby molligrub » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:01 am

I agree that teaching kids good eating habits is great, but to be mindful of doing it in a 'always/sometime' food way, not in a 'good/bad' food way. I have come across instances of some teachers in particular being very pedantic about telling kids 'fat is bad' and how to count calories, and as a result some very literal children have taken things overboard and became terrified of eating!! So just be mindful if your kids suddenly become 'fat-phobic' - and maybe check what they're learning at school etc.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wnqxaGD/]
[/url]

I am gonna exercise my butt off!! Literally!!
molligrub

Postby rivenriver » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:57 pm

JP1 wrote:Its just so important to look after your kids health though and unless its a medical condition theres just no excuse for some of our kids to be overweight especially once the education is in place.

Umm... I think you should know, that attitude you've got there? That's an attitude that has caused some really terrible lives.

Some kids are fat. Full stop. And it's not what they eat, how active they are, whatever. Some kids are just fat. Adults maybe have a say in it, they can change their bodies. But the way the body develops, some kids end up fat before they grow into it.

I have a very close friend who was a fat kid. She ate no different from the rest of us, was no less active than the rest of us - and of this I am CERTAIN. She also had to deal with well meaning adults who assumed she just didn't know any better and was stuffing her face with cake at every opportunity. Things like teachers checking her lunch box for 'bad foods' - the same teachers that turned a blind eye to the multiple chip packets and chocolate bars in the skinny kids lunch boxes. Adults encouraged her to diet and try and look like the skinny kids - this has destroyed her self-image. The fact that adults picked on her also made it okay for other kids to pick on her, and oh how they did.

It wasn't a medical condition (but how could those well-meaning adults have known if it was?) - it was just how her body developed. And if she hadn't had to endure what she did, she'd probably be no different from normal now. But because of what she endured, and because she began dieting and trying to loose weight at 7 years old (a time when you really shouldn't deprive your body of food), she's now far more overweight than she should be. She's also got the self-esteem of an ant.

Please remember, everyone, that fat kids have feelings too. They're intelligent, they know you're talking about them, and they know the world hates their fat. Encouraging them to diet makes things worse, and makes them feel like c***. Also, be careful of what you say around normal sized kids - the more they hear about how fat is bad, the more it becomes okay for them to harass fat kids. Whether they mean it to be bad or not. Kids don't live under rocks - I've heard 8 year olds tell other 8 year olds they need to go to Jenny Craig.

Some kids are fat. Let them be fat. They'll loose weight when they're adults, if they need to. But for now, just let them be fat.
rivenriver

Postby JP1 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:26 pm

rivenriver wrote:
JP1 wrote:Its just so important to look after your kids health though and unless its a medical condition theres just no excuse for some of our kids to be overweight especially once the education is in place.

Umm... I think you should know, that attitude you've got there? That's an attitude that has caused some really terrible lives.

actually I resent your comments there and the implication you are making about my statement.. having read the rest of your post you are obviously sensitive and passionate to your own point of view so I will refrain from commenting further mainly because I do not know the full side of your story and also because my original comment was made sincerely and respectfully..

JP
Highs : 107 Kg (24 Sept 2007) : 113.5 Kg (12 Jan 2014) : 112.5 Kg (26 Jan 2016)
Current :99.2 Kg (31 May 2016)
Lows : 78.4 Kg (20 May 2008) : 87.4 Kg (on 16 Dec in both 2009 & 2010) : 82.9 Kg (14 Apr 2011) : 87.1 Kg (4 Jul 2011) : 90.5 Kg (14 Jul 2014)
Target : 94 Kgs by 15th Jul
JP1

Are your kids watching Australias Biggest Loser

Postby grusla » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:19 am

Oh, I agree with everyone above LOL I want to fit back into some things, without them being "stretchy" or sweat pants Right now I look forward to the end of the day so I can be comfortable & get out of my clothes & into my pjs- how sad is that?

I want to look good, feel good, be healthy & have energy.
grusla

Return to Australia's Biggest Loser