It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:15 pm

Free Newsletter

The Biggest Loser 2009.......

Discuss the hit TV show Australia's Biggest Loser here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The Biggest Loser 2009.......

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:06 pm

Shalimar wrote:It may just be me but I had a hard time taking it too seriously, I spent half of the time laughing. Maybe I'm just too cold hearted, or perhaps a bit sceptical.

It's not just you. All reality TV is just an invitation to mock the screen for half an hour.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Gordz » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:08 pm

at least Ajay is talking faster this season.

oh, and 'the walk'... thats totally lame too.. Shame to see that back.
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby Shalimar » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:03 pm

EvilWombatQueen wrote:
Shalimar wrote:It may just be me but I had a hard time taking it too seriously, I spent half of the time laughing. Maybe I'm just too cold hearted, or perhaps a bit sceptical.

It's not just you. All reality TV is just an invitation to mock the screen for half an hour.

Good, I'm glad it's not just me :lol: .

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby Fireball » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:17 am

JP & Goddess - if only you went on it. You'd win. Everyone would be so busy laughing at your wise cracks that you could wizz past them undetected. :lol:

I agree about the food waste - I was thinking exactly the same. How heart breaking it would be if you were indigenous to one of the countries where starvation is commonplace and you were to sit there and watch that! I felt ashamed thinking, couldn't they somehow do something with have photos and donate the value of the food somehow..?

But despite all that, I must be a sucker. I love the show. I cried tonight - people's stories were so touching and sad... I find it inspiring. I love that it encourages people to publicly share their emotions, especially the big burly "I would never cry" looking guys. I think it encourages a helthy view of dealing with emotions. That it's ok to be scared and feel like crap and share that with other people. Then watchingh people being supported and pushed to rise above their persoanl challenges and try to achieve their goals.

On ething I don't get --- if I suddnely push myself I get injuries. I have so many hurting body bits, related to being overweight!! How does this work that they get people who are sooo oveweight and they do all this stuff and seem to suffer few injuries. They dont get to choose which things they think their body could handle. I wish I could do that. :(

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby Gordz » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:45 am

fireball, there are a few injuries this season
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby electrongirl » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:10 am

At least the American version doesn't have the walk like the Aussie version does.

And while your knocking the American shows, just look how fast the Aussies latch on to them and make their own version!! And they get high ratings too! Just goes to show not just the Americans like to watch tripe!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:45 am

TV rip-offs are a global phenomenon now. Big Brother started life as a Dutch reality TV show. The Americans have just done their own version of the Australian show 'Thank God You're Here'. And we're about to get the American version of the hit UK show 'Life on Mars'.

Everyone's ripping off everyone now so there's no use in pointing the finger! :lol:

What's more, each country regionalises their shows. We may think that it's 'really American', but the fact is it's been tailored to pull the maximum Australian audience possible. They're not syndicating Australia's Biggest Loser throughout the world, so it's not being done for anyone's tastes but our own.

Yep. The cheesy-ness, the blatant contrived drama, the manipulated tears... it's all catering to what Australians want. Or what TV execs think we want. Or what they're willing to tell us we want. We can't blame the Americans for this. If we're going to lap it up with barely a complaint they're going to keep dishing it out to us.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby wheelndeal77 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:43 am

I love The Biggest Loser (cheese and all!). I cry almost every episode for one reason or another...even though some of it is scripted and amped up for ratings purposes. I can relate to alot of their emotions, even though i am not quite as big as some and I haven't gone through the hardship some of them have either. I am a lost soul...I have deep issues that most people in my life don't know about or simply wouldn't understand.
I am the only one in my family who has struggled with shyness, being overweight (my whole life, on and off) and many other issues. My husband isn't supportive, he's critical more than anything else...he's only just now (after retiring from football and gaining some more weight, losing muscle mass) is he starting to be a little bit kinder to me about my weight. However, the progress is very small and he is still making nasty comments at times...which drives me to eat chocolate rather than stop. lol.
I have suffered with depression, have been on anti-depressants, have seen a psychologist etc...
My thoughts, emotions and outlook on life is complex. I come across as happy, somewhat confident and in control. Little does everyone know, how many demons I am struggling with every day of my life. No one cares enough to listen and they are so hard to explain to begin with. Some of them would sound so petty to other people, but are of utmost importance to myself. I feel so alone in this world. My Nan and my Mum are my best friends, I have two absolute angel of children, my husband can be an ass but mostly we get along great and he's a really funny, hard-working, lovable guy. So why do I feel so alone?? I feel most alone when i'm in a crowded room too..I always feel like I don't fit in anywhere. I always feel like I'm the fattest person in the room and usually, in the circles we hang around in, I am the fattest. I always felt like a giant in school, coz I was taller than the other girls, and a little overweight. Eventually the heigh evened out a little, but I was always the 'fat girl'. Mum would always tell me, 'It's just puppy fat, you'll grow out of it'. She got my hopes up for years, until I realised it was never going anywhere!! The only way to get rid of it is to work my butt off. Why me? I think that all the time, Why me?! Why can't I be one of those girls with beautiful bodies that can eat whatever they want and not gain a thing. How come all of my friends that have had babies are back to being as slim as they were before? And I am carrying an extra 25kg. So, not fair! My sister in law makes me sick..she gained approx. 30kg in pregnancy, has had two kids around the same time as me...and she's back to being in a size 8-10. Here I am in a size 16-18 (mostly 18 coz of stupid stores makin everything so darn small!).
omg..look at this post! I'm sorry folks..I was meant to be posting about The Biggest Loser. Guess I needed to vent some emotions. Thanks for listening.
Back to TBL, I love the show and can relate to it so much. I will continue to watch it, regardless of all the cheesy bits. I can't wait for the finale already...i love the transformations.
My fav contestant ever is Adro. He's such a sweetie..and has done really well for himself, with his businesses and keeping the weight off. He truly did it!!!

I think the brothers in Season '09 will do really well. They have quite big, athletic builds, they look strong. And of course they will compete with each other and spur each other on. My money is on them!

WnD77
xoxo
Starting Weight: 96.4kg (when I first joined Weight Loss Forum)
First Goal: 90kg
Ultimate Goal: 67kg
Current Weight: 96.5kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w7h8V35/]
[/url]
wheelndeal77

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:10 am

You're welcome to vent any time WnD! I have to ask though, have you told your husband how his comments make you feel? If so, how did he react? If he thinks it's all a joke you may find marriage counselling will help him see your point of view. An unbiased third party could help him see what his comments are doing to you.

I'm so sorry that your sense of self-esteem is so caught up with your weight. You're a wonderful person! I'm sure everyone around you thinks so too. It's great that you want to lose weight, but I wish it were for reasons other than self-worth.

You're fabulous, sweetie! Just wanted to take the opportunity to tell you that!

*Hugs*,
Ali
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Fireball » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:26 pm

WnD. Big Hug. It is sad that you feel so sad and lonely. You deserve to lose your weight and feel good about yourself. I bet those around you do think you're great but trouble is people often don't really tell each other how much they care until it's too late. Try talking with your husband. Tell him how important he is to you and how important his opionions are to you. Ask him for his support and tell him that his comments bring you down. Especially if you have problems with depression, if he doesnt understand could you get your Dr., Psych or someone to have a talk with him? It is difficult to focus on succeeding if you dont feel the support of tose around you. Even if he doesn't give you the suppoprt you need, don't let that stop you. You need to do this for yourself. Make the decision, this year is going tobe your year and lose that weight. Good luck.

It will be a very interesting competition. i'm glad thye're not splitting up the couples.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby wheelndeal77 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:30 pm

I have told my husband numerous times how I don't like his comments and how they have a negative effect on me, they don't encourage me or motivate me, they make me weaker and less likely to succeed. Doesn't seem to matter how many times I've told him...he falls right back into old habits. He is a no holds barred kinda guy, no tact whatsoever. I know he loves me though and does think i'm sexy..at times..I guess he just thinks he's being funny or motivating by the critical and joking comments he makes about my figure.
We were fighting the other week and he called me a Fat C#nt...i didnt speak to him for 3 days and then he had the nerve to ask what was wrong?! I told him I am not a fat C and I never deserve to be called that. He said that he thought it was snigger worthy (funny) and wasnt said completely seriously. I told him, there was nothing funny about it.
So far, no more comments..but I know that in the end, he will do it again...he can't help his foot in mouth disease, handed down to him from his arrogant father :roll:
I just need to learn how to love myself, then maybe I simply won't care what anyone thinks or says about me.
Thanks every1 for your kind words and support.

Oh and as for ever going to marriage counselling..I highly doubt he'd do that..actually I know he wouldn't. He never admits he's wrong or needs help.

Lots of great things to love about the guy though...i wouldn't be with him otherwise. He must have some deep down insecurities of his own if he keeps tryin to make himself feel bigger and better by badmouthing others so much though..not that he'd ever admit to them. He most likely doesnt even realise he has them.

Nice to see u posting Gordz..have missed ya.

WnD77
xoxo
Starting Weight: 96.4kg (when I first joined Weight Loss Forum)
First Goal: 90kg
Ultimate Goal: 67kg
Current Weight: 96.5kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w7h8V35/]
[/url]
wheelndeal77

Postby Czarina » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:18 am

WnD77, I can relate to the way you feel. Though it is not my partner who dishes out the negative comments (he is very supportive), but my Father. In early 2007 I broke my ankle, as a result I lost my job and lot of other things were going on in my life...I was very depressed and gained 20kg (I was already about 15kg overweight), my Dad felt the need to comment on this whenever he saw me and once even told me to stop eating completely (he had had a few drinks at the time...), it didn't matter that I couldn't walk, etc...after a particularly upsetting phone call with him I hung up and didn't contact him for months (we used to be great mates and talk for ages on the phone every week) and it made me feel even worse.

I too was a chubby kid and used to be told I was fat by him all of the time. My Dad is also one of those 'straight down the line', no [email protected]^%$, kinda guys and lacks that brain-to-mouth filter that most of us have. I know what it's like not to feel good enough, and I'm trying to deal with these issues too, so you're not alone. *HUGS*
Czarina

Postby Diminishing » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:01 pm

Hugs. It is terrible the way our self esteem is so locked into the way we feel about our bodies.

I am loving the Biggest Loser and cannot wait to see how it all unfolds.

I know it is cheedy and staged, and AJ and the walk and the warehouse are just ridiculous.

BUT I do find it SO inspiring.......and I cired buckets at the 170kg opera singer lady.........
Lucy xx

Diminishing

Postby Gordz » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:19 pm

oh, was that singing? I thoroughly hated it... it was droning, illegible spontaneous crap that everyone overly reacted about to make her feel better.

well at least she smiled at the end... i'm sick of seeing her cry already!!

:twisted: go andrew :twisted:
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby Jisgone » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:52 pm

i cant believe she sung, and then aj said it motivated all the other contestants..
i sat there thinking that its motivating me to chew my own ears off!
Jisgone

PreviousNext

Return to Australia's Biggest Loser