It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:26 pm

Free Newsletter

9 KG IN A WEEK!?

Discuss the hit TV show Australia's Biggest Loser here.

Moderator: Moderators

9 KG IN A WEEK!?

Postby fi_112 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:11 am

Hey guys,
You know how Bob lost 9kg last week... that's not medically very good is it?!
To wish you were someone else is to waste the person you are
fi_112

Re: 9 KG IN A WEEK!?

Postby MissSonia » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:36 am

Not at all! It's all about ratings. You should only be losing between 500g - 1kg per week in reality. This is what doctors, nutritionists and most diet programs aim for as a healthy weight loss. You'll notice that Bob's big numbers have caused a huge amount of excess skin. Not good.
MissSonia

Postby fi_112 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:30 pm

but still... how did it happen? are they training pretty much 24 hrs a day?! haha
fi_112

Postby Juzzy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:03 pm

Cosi, from one of the previous seasons, said that they often have weigh in's 14-21 days apart. The producers of the show just make it look like a week. And a loss of 9kilo is more appealing (for viewers) than 500-1kg losses.
SW: 127.8
CW: 106.8

GW : 80 (will reassess once i get there)

21 kilos lost!
Juzzy

Postby soon2bayummymummy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:22 pm

like juzzy said there not done wkly and as said befor ajay doesnt actually say see u next wk for your weigh in she just says see u next weigh in.
soon2bayummymummy

Postby fi_112 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:30 am

Cheeky...

I looked it up and read all these horrible articles about the American one, apparently one guy went on a starvation diet for 11 days before the final and in the last 24 hours didn't drink ANY fluids or eat any food and was peeing BLOOD!! so disgusting.. hope Aussie's aren't that competitive hey
fi_112

Postby MissSonia » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:36 am

That's terrible :| I actually don't know why I still watch this show. It's 10% about diet/exercise, 20% challenges/walks/ripping off other shows and 70% recapping what was said 5 minutes prior.
MissSonia

Postby Czarina » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:09 am

LOL, Sonya! So true, but somehow I just can't tear my eyes away...
Czarina

Postby lizilla » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:31 pm

I also read somewhere that the contestants do a minimum of 5 hours of exercise a day, not necessarily with Michelle/Shannon - the show just makes it look like the trainers are there everyday and what not. The rest of the time they have other people in there "cheering them on" and then in their spare time they can do what they please on the ranch, so some contestants work out while others sleep/relax etc.

I think for people with lots of weight to loose the initial weight loss of 9kg is doable as the body would be shocked into dropping the weight, but certainly not after 3 or 4 weeks of the workouts. Its very hard to determine as they dont tell you exactly what they're doing, they should really lay it all out for the viewer to see. I personally would not be in the least bit suprised to find out the contestants were on incredibly low calorie diets - which explains why lots of them put the weight back on after the show.
lizilla

Postby MissSonia » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:06 pm

I've heard a couple of contestants say on the show that their daily calorie allowance is 1000cal. Not sure if that's across the board or if it was just the couple of contestants that I heard say it. 1000cal is really really low.
MissSonia

Postby CrimsonThunder » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:55 am

fi_112 wrote:but still... how did it happen? are they training pretty much 24 hrs a day?! haha

Nope. I don't even think they train that much. You even see them just sitting around sometimes chatting.

And you also heard someone saying they were eating bacon or something really unhealthy for breakfast. So its basically like real life, just they get trainers for free.
- Stevo
CrimsonThunder

Postby Beautiful Dreamer » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:01 pm

CrimsonThunder wrote:
fi_112 wrote:but still... how did it happen? are they training pretty much 24 hrs a day?! haha

Nope. I don't even think they train that much. You even see them just sitting around sometimes chatting.

And you also heard someone saying they were eating bacon or something really unhealthy for breakfast. So its basically like real life, just they get trainers for free.

I have to disagree with the unhealthy breakfast comment. It is actually more beneficial to have protein in all means including snacks because it forces your metabolism to use stored fat for fuel instead of carbs, keeps your blood sugar level in the normal range, and reduces cravings. So having bacon etc is not necessarily a bad thing, as long as you reduce the fat content as well. Also, they do train quite a lot, to excess really, and this is where the biggest loser fails for real life. Not each of us can train 8 hours a day! Actually it's not beneficial unless you want to run a marathon, which most of us don't. We just need to increase our activity level to help the fat burning process. So including 10,000 steps everyday is a great way to help. But strenuous exercise can inhibit your weight loss journey.

According to Ryan Benson who was crowned 2005 Biggest Loser in the US, he couldn't maintain the "Biggest Loser" in the real world, he stated that he even regained 14.5kgs in the first 5 days after Biggest Loser just by drinking water! How is that healthy???

The bottom line is the media sensationalize the weight loss. And the Biggest Loser has plenty of of drama, emotion and excitement! It would be almost impossible to maintain for the rest of your life because the biggest loser is based on restricting calories and excessive exercise to get FIT not for WEIGHT LOSS, so although they seem to pull some big numbers, can any one of us say that we could do this in real life?? I don't think so. And for me, The Biggest Loser is not really encouraging because when we sit and watch these people struggle and go through all the pain of work outs etc, we get a little depressed because it's all too hard! (TRIM Mag Summer 2009)

A diet should be easy enough to maintain for the rest of our lives, not just a quick fix. Because let's face it. We have all been on diets before, and when we have ceased them, what is the likely result: WEIGHT GAIN!

So for everyone out there thinking it is just too hard, please realize, it's NOT if you have the right tools, and the correct knowledge to help lose the weight and maintain it.

Now, I know some of you out there would disagree with me, but I have seen first hand the pain and suffering of such ways of losing weight (excessive exercise etc), and I know that the way I am now losing weight is far more healthier than every other diet I have been on. But I guess each to ones own.

All the best in all your weight loss journeys.

Nita

:D

Starting weight: 114.9kgs
Current Weight: 110.1kgs
Goal weight: 65kgs
Starting Measurements: Chest: 114cms, Waist: 107cms, Hips: 127cms, Thigh: 73.5cms, Upper arm: 49cms
Current Measurements: Chest: 105cms, Waist: 103cms, Hips: 125cms, Thigh: 67cms, Upper arm: 45cms
Wk 1: -2.1kgs
Wk 2: -1.5kgs
Wk 3: +1.6kgs :(
Wk 4: -2.7kgs :)
Wk 5: -0.8kgs
Wk 6: +0.7kgs :(
My blog: http://beautifuldreamersdiary.blogspot.com/
Beautiful Dreamer

Postby soon2bayummymummy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:51 pm

i guess its each to your own and try and try and try again. What works for people on the biggest loser might not work for everyone for a couple of reasons:
1- U dont have the will power to do exercise(not matter for how long) each day
2- U dont watch what u eat and refuse to give up 'junk food'
3- U dont drink enough water each day or wont give up juices/soft drinks/ alcohol etc
4- U dont believe in yourself and u dont have family/friends supporting u
also some of us are on shake diets, some are getting there food delivered(jenny craig etc), some are on high protein diets while others are on low to no carb diets.
I personally couldnt do the biggest loser as i would never keep up the amount of exercise out of the home but i will always keep watching it.
soon2bayummymummy

Postby Happy Belle » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:00 pm

I have to dissagree. From what I have learnt over my weightloss journey, surely if your overweight enough to lose 9 kgs in a week, then surely that wasnt healthy in the first place? better weight off than on?
There was a lady were I went and she was 250kgs, she lost 45kgs in 4 weeks. 32kgs was in the first week! All from eating right and excersing. all the right ways. Surely we can all agree, any weightloss at over 100kgs has got to be healthy? I lost 26kgs in 4 weeks and Im great! and continuing strong! ............ps not to mention, it was the biggest loser himself showing us how to do it the right way~! and i heard that on the biggest loser their weigh in is actually even 2 weeks or so!
Happy Belle

Postby ~*Kat*~ » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:17 am

ok sorry I am new and I dont know much about weight loss (though I should being 126kgs) but from experience I lost 11 kgs in 3 weeks just by walking and eating healthy and drinking loads of water but I have put it back on cos I got slack (or thats what my fert doctors is making me believe anyway) so I am doing shakes now and eating healthy and drinking water again and excersing. Now I dont know if 11kgs in 3 weeks was too quick or anything but man I felt good and strangely enough I still am 2 top sizes smaller but anyway I think if u are a bigger weight it will come off quickly if u want it to and work for it (no insult towards anyone intended of course) and with such vigerous excersie like they do on biggest loser whether or not its the best way to do it is another matter.
And of course as u get smaller in weight the weight wont come of as much so quickly
~*Kat*~

Next

Return to Australia's Biggest Loser