It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:54 pm

Free Newsletter

Reality TV meets infomercials meets Neighbours

Discuss the hit TV show Australia's Biggest Loser here.

Moderator: Moderators

Reality TV meets infomercials meets Neighbours

Postby Alexandra » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:43 pm

I watched bits and pieces of previous years but this year it seems to have sucked me in and delivered nothing. I think it's because I'm currently losing weight myself and trying to catch on to any tips, bits of info, helpful advice I can (me and everyone else I assume)

My sister and I realised, after watching almost the whole series that we now (as previously discussed by this forum) have seen the show morph into a number of high rating reality shows, terrible stunts with braclets, walks and god knows and more product placement than most hollywood blockbusters :evil: So really, all we are left with is ads for burgen bread, athletes foot, brooks shoes, gym wear, food replacement stuff, fat blaster, work out world, safcol tuna all while whiny teenages sort out their sisterly sqabbles and the brothers try to p1ss up the wall the highest. Its just neighbours, only worse - it doesn't have a label :shock: Has this contributed anything to you (other than perhaps lousy entertainment). Is the network just paying the bills?

How did I get so addicted to nonsense drama soap opera rubbish when all I really wanted was some nutrition and exercise info of which it has delivered ZERO or was this just me being naive to begin with?

So, my neice saw the biggest loser calorie counter in the supermarket today for $7.99 and wanted it so I bought it :evil: The marketing train continues. At least the show has contributed something. I have now been able to show her exactly how many calories are in a Mcdonalds meal today - and she decided to have subway with me instead. I'll call that a win for each of us - one for them and one for me :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4nfAl9/]

HW: 127 kg
CW: 93.7 kg
GW: 68 kg
LW: 73 kg
Alexandra

Re: Reality TV meets infomercials meets Neighbours

Postby MissSonia » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:56 pm

I have to agree, it's been the most pathetic year yet. Along with it's Amazing Race, Neighbours, Australian Idol, Telemall Shopping, Walks and other non weight related games, most of the contestants s**t me up the bloody wall! In past years, I don't think there have been as many irritating people in the one house! Or maybe this is their attempt to try and combine Big Brother into it as well... all we need now is for them to have to look after farm animals and skinny dip.
MissSonia

Postby Jisgone » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:58 am

This is the only season I havent followed, I got 3 shows in and decided it was a load of [email protected] and switched it off. The first series was about weight loss and that was the best series :) I think it will end up getting cut like big brother did, they made BB so ridiculous that no one bothered watching it and off it went.
Jisgone

Postby court » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:59 pm

Im bummed. I used to not want to miss it - now i go to the gym when it is on just so i am not tempted cos it is such a disappointment! haha - how funny.... :o
court

Postby CrimsonThunder » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:49 pm

Some funny replies here. :P

I actually like this season. I also love Big Brother, so go figure. :P

But yes, I couldn't help but notice all the advertising in the show. I'm sure they sit there during a shoot. "No no, the label on the boxing bag is in the wrong place, lets take it again".

I like the little tips when the Buregen or whatever it is, is advertised. Learnt a bit there. Also the little quiz thing they had, learnt some stuff there too.
- Stevo
CrimsonThunder

Postby Fireball » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:34 am

I agree 100% with Alexandra. They have gone off on all these diversionary tangents to make it interesting but I think they've missed the mark. Watching people genuinley trying to deal with their weight issues, exercise and eating is what I am interested in as that would potentially help me. I have only flicked it on and off this season as it is so staged I cant be bothered with it.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby dheeth » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:05 pm

:O
story in short :P
dheeth

Return to Australia's Biggest Loser