It is currently Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:16 am

Free Newsletter

Weight just a minute...

Discuss the hit TV show Australia's Biggest Loser here.

Moderator: Moderators

Weight just a minute...

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:49 am

Weight just a minute
Rachel Browne
April 22, 2007

Weight loss ... Kelly Donaghy.

two contestants on The Biggest Loser have warned dieters they are destined to fail if they try to emulate the weight-loss techniques portrayed on the show.

It comes after the top-rating Channel Ten series was slammed by Food & Nutrition Australia (F&NA) last week for promoting an unrealistic weight-loss regime.

NSW contestants Kelly Donaghy Lewis and Mel Russell agree it would be impossible to maintain the diet and exercise program they undertook.

"We're under extraordinary circumstances in there," Ms Russell said. "I always tell people you can't expect to lose the amount of weight we lost on the show. All we did was train 24/7. Who in normal life can fit in four hours of training a day?

"Of course it's unrealistic. Realistic weight-loss is half a kilo to a kilo a week."

Ms Russell, of Wollongong, who weighed 108 kilograms when she joined the The Biggest Loser, and shed more than 30 kilograms, says her weight-loss slowed dramatically once she left the compound where the contestants live.

"Since being on the outside I haven't had the massive weight-loss I had while inside the house," she said. "That's because I am trying to lead a normal life."

Last week an expert from F&NA warned that the program presented an unhealthy and unrealistic weight-loss regime and some contestants would put the weight back on.

F&NA dietitian Sharon Natoli said: "It's easier for them to lose that weight when they have that support [within the show], but at home it will be a lot harder to lose weight."

Caringbah-based police officer Kelly Donaghy Lewis said she continued to lose weight after being eliminated from the show in its second week, but it had been a slow process.

"When you're in the house you have the trainers there and the food there and no outside influences or temptations," she said, having dropped almost 30 kilograms from her 116-kilogram frame.

"But once you have learnt all of those things there is no reason why you can't continue your weight-loss journey outside the house. It will be slower, that's inevitable, but it doesn't mean you can't still get a good result."

Both women are delighted with their new shapes and will compare results with fellow contestants at this week's grand final, to air on Thursday.

Source: The Sun-Herald
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:57 am

Good article Kate....
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Dee » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:19 pm

That is so important for people to remember... in the house there is nothing to do BUT lose weight.. You are completely changing your life to revolve around what is best for losing weight. In the real world we have lives to live, kids to save time for, jobs/ school to go to, outside stresses, functions to attend, and all those other temptations to face.
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby Mandie » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:56 pm

Exactly. Hands up who has time to exercise 4 hours a day? Actually, hands up who has time to exercise 1 hour a day?

I think if we are managing to find 30 minutes a day, or even 30 minutes 3 times a week, its a great effort. Sure, the weight will come off slower, but we will keep it off for life! :)
Mandie

Postby Vegetable » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:35 pm

True True :)
Vegetable

Postby Justjudy » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:52 pm

Good to see the contestants bringing a bit of reality back. Many people beleive that anyone can lose massive amounts of weight very quickly through programmes like Biggest Loser, this story might at least put a bit of perspective on the whole situation for those people.

Judy :D
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFABM9h/]
[/url]
Justjudy

Postby Chelle » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:55 am

Who would want to train 4 hours a day, I sure would not. 1 - 2 hours max for me makes me happy.
Chelle

Postby Ally » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:16 pm

I guess that is where people get down-hearted and say that they have "only" lost 1/2kg....unfortunately a lot of people think that they are going to "lose it Biggest Loser style!" but it comes as a dissapointment when they are only losing small (but in reality, realistic) amounts of weight. The whole focus of the BL is that..weight loss...and they do train for so many hours per day...in the outside world, people just don't have that amount of time!!
[/url]
Ally

Postby Chelle » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:53 pm

Well in relaity no one could pull of a 12 KG loss in one week
Chelle

Postby slimmindown » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:33 pm

It would be kinda unreal to loose that much, but I'm extremely happy with slow and steady, it also gives me time to get my head around the mental and emotional changes too. Rome wasnt built in a day :lol: :lol: :lol:
[no excuses, I can do it!
slimmindown

Postby Justjudy » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:57 pm

slimmindown wrote:It would be kinda unreal to loose that much, but I'm extremely happy with slow and steady, it also gives me time to get my head around the mental and emotional changes too. Rome wasnt built in a day :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's exactly how I look at it. In fact if my weight stays the same for a period of time - say a month - I find that I adjust to having lost it before I lose more far better than if I just keep losing. The mental and emotional changes that come with weightloss are 90 percent of the battle.

Judy
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFABM9h/]
[/url]
Justjudy

Postby Ally » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:44 pm

pardon me, but who lost 12 kg in a week???
[/url]
Ally

Return to Australia's Biggest Loser