It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:13 am

Free Newsletter

OK! Need some help with activities for connor!

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

OK! Need some help with activities for connor!

Postby Playboy_bunny » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:46 pm

Hi everyone! :)
As some of you know I have a VERY active 4 1/2 year old son connor :) I love him to death, but my god the last few weeks he has been driving me batty! :shock: He's going through a copying stage (me- connor can you please put the cars away?
connor-mum can you please put the cars away?) also using insults (mum you have a big butt you smelly big butt :shock: that was tonights one! still had to laugh cos it was pretty wierd to hear!)
The last little while he is just really hyper and not doing what he's told, getting bored easily, throwing things, running off on me, getting into things etc....I know it is definately a boy thing as I have nephews who were the same at his age :) Im trying to come up with different activities because the usual play outside, go to the park,playing with cars, trainset, lego, drawing etc he just isnt interested in anymore....even if I sit down with him and play he just says he doesnt want to and will throw them (pencils, lego, cars) across the floor....he says he just wants to watch tv! :shock: ugh can anybody help me with some new age appropriate activities I can try him with?? What do you do with your kids at this age that keep them occupied and keep you sane? :shock: thanks! xxx
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:06 am

hey gracie

oh isnt that age a fun one! especially with boys! i think with girls its easy to lead them into dramatic play - kitchens and playing with dolls and dress ups etc.

have you tried painting with connor? playdough? maybe he can be given special jobs to help you set it all up and make the playdough from scratch? maybe when you are making dinner you can give him a job to do thats 'very important'. maybe you can start a rewards chart with him. you can buy personalised ones from ebay or you can make one - and get connor to help you decorate it. do up a grid, buy some cool stickers from the shops and make it clear that good behaviour is rewarded. sit down with him and make a list of things he would like i.e. that rubber bouncy ball from that machine which costs $1, a new hat that he wants, maybe a dvd night and he can pick the dvds from video ezy. make it known to him that the things he is doing will not be tolerated and that he needs to be a big boy for big school and its good practice! make it known to him that if he does do the wrong things you are going to warn him about it so it gives him a chance to behave a bit better. remind him of the rewards system and let him be the one to stick the stickers on the chart as he earns them (with your supervision).

does he have any friends that can come over for playdates or vice versa? are there games he can play on your computer? maybe you can go to the library and borrow some kids books.
kate_turner2000

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:33 am

Good suggestions Kate.

Do you have any family/friends with older boy children who might have any ideas (I don't have kids so am kinda useless to you apart from basic behaviour modification like Kate has already touched on)

Maybe get him into some kind of sport? Auskick, cricket, tennis? Burn up some of that endless enrgy?
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Playboy_bunny » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:35 am

woah :shock: hehe yay kate :D some great ideas there! (I knew u would be the first to answer hehe gonna rename you 'supernanny' :lol: ) ummm I love the idea of a reward chart...I dont know how I didnt think of that! Im going to go and buy the stuff tomorrow on shopping day :) we havent done playdough for a while either, so Ill have to get on that too! He does have some computer games that he can play (magic school bus and things) and I dont really get him too involved with cooking dinner, so Ill have to start doing that too :)but I LOVE the reward chart idea Ill definately do that one ;) Thanks Kate! :D xxx
Playboy_bunny

Postby Playboy_bunny » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:39 am

Hi Tegan :)
No unfortunately Im the only one I know with kids so thats out at the moment... :( Ive been trying to find some kind of a mums group but there doesnt seem to be much available for kids his age...theres a lot of them newborn-3 years, but then they kind of disappear! :shock: Ive been trying to find a 'storytime' type thing at the local library....might go have another look there today :)
I haven't actually looked into sports that are available LOL it didnt even cross my mind, but I know he would love it :) I might look into that too...I think they have basketball at the local gym and I know they do karate there which he would really like :) Thanks for all the great suggestions! :D xx
Playboy_bunny

Postby yummymummy » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:55 am

what suburb are you in?
Cockburn and melville do a storytime morning where you read a book and do a activity after,
buster the fun bus is good for 4 yr olds they go to a different park each day with a mobile play group
your local rec centre holds things like gymbaroo, swimmimg lessons,and beginner ball sport groups for little ones
you could try doing some cooking with him, I do simple things like piklets, popcorn, honey joys with Ri- but I do like to eat them all afterwards which suxs :?
is he at kindy yet? maybe organise some play dates with other mums from kindy?
My darling 4 1/2 yr old is a bundle of energy too I find keeping the day structured and doing at least 1 energetic activity a day really works to keep him happy
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:55 pm

hey gracie i think because there is an increase of parents putting children into some sort of day care environment, thats why there is less available for connors age other than preschools, alot of parents put their children in the preschool a year before big school to get them used to it etc which sucks because theres those other parents who then dont have much in the community to go to with their kids- in terms of playgroups etc.

make sure you get some glitters etc for connor to decorate his chart with! make it really pretty. does he start school next year or the year after?
kate_turner2000

Postby Chelle » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:47 pm

Hey Gracie boys can be a handfull I have 2 of them, both my boys go through stages like that I can tell you somtime I wish I had a girl. Josh does a reward chart at home which does work he wants a $60 transformer toy there is no way that I would ever buy that but Josh gets $5 a week to save up for the transformer if he does everything on the chart I do stickers for rewards the 4 thing are pack toys away, set the table, make bed & help mummy out. For thing in the backyard them totem tennis thing my kids love to play with them although my dog love the ball so mine broken I have to buy a new one. With summer comming along you could also buy water guns there abouts $2 for 2 of them for go-lo & water bombs keeps my boys occupied for a while they have so much fun the kids have a ball its a great family thing to do on a hot day. Deffinately cooking with the kids is a good idea my kids love to do that.
Chelle

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:29 pm

lol im thinking of buying a totem tennis pack for myself :oops:
kate_turner2000

Postby corolla_chick » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:55 pm

hi gracie,
is connor in school yet? if not, then maybe you could go to a playgroup. local schools usually run a playgroup either for any aged children, or children starting school next year ( i get to run one and its lots of fun!!) you stay with connor and can do activities together. hope connor enjoys his reward chart! beck :D
beck :D

corolla_chick

Postby hushpuppy » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:36 pm

My boy is four on thrsday and is an active kid . He loves drawing with chalk out the back or painting with water on the path . Is messy but at least the water dries some paints dont wash out . We also have tent we bought for 10$ second hand and put it up , When its not windy lol and he plays in there for ages with his cars n stuff
Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby Playboy_bunny » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:18 pm

Thanks so muych everyone :D U guys have given me some fab ideas :D Im keen to get into them tomorrow :D I LOVE the painting on the path with water idea, Im going to do that one today :) Thanks again guys! xxx
Playboy_bunny

Return to Just Chatting