It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:11 pm

Free Newsletter

Hobbies, interests, etc

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:28 pm

hey gracie

i think adults get the the stage where in that type of environment they may think those sorts of things about other people but they dont say it to them. i know i dont like everyone in life but i keep it to myself. just go along and be yourself and concentrate on yourself and you will make some great friends :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Mandie » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:53 pm

Exactly, its not like school.. most people are WAY more mature than that! :)

Everyone will be just as nervous about doing VCE as you I reckon.. you'll make friends no worries :) It's gonna be awesome and you're gonna do great!
Mandie

Postby yummymummy » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:14 pm

congrats on taking the brave step of returning to school, its very very worth it in the end. I returned to uni after being out of school for 8 yrs , it was great, very different to high school
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby milkyway » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:04 am

Gracie you are fabulous and doing your VCE takes real guts. Good on you! I am so proud of you :D
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Playboy_bunny » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:27 am

Hi everyone thanks for all your comments :oops: :D
My mum says the same, she has gone back to TAFE to do her div1 nursing this year and she was a bit concerned too (although not about being the "fattest", but about being the "oldest" :roll: lol she's only 42! hehe but it all turned out great for her. She loves the class and there are people of all ages there) Time will tell! Classes start in late Feb, and there is an orientation on Nov 12th so Ill get to pick my classes and meet the other students then :shock: :P I really am excited though!
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby Fireball » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:07 am

Nikki, do consider studying IT. It is great to be able to do something you're passionate about.

Gracie, I was a young mother and went back to study when I was 27 after having been isolated staying at home with my kids. I was terrified. But I loved it and never looked back; completed a degree and it has changed my life. Seriously, I learnt soooo much I wouldn't trade that experience for quids. It set the expectation and all 3 of our kids now have degrees. No-one else in my family or my husbands family has a degree so I am really proud of my family for making that committment and doing it. One of my husband's cousins recently told me that I was her role model. I was stunned, but she said, "I figured if you could do it with 3 little kids, that I could do it too." So I encourage you to go for it!

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby electrongirl » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:25 am

I'd love to go back and study but I would have to do that plus work full time and I just couldn't do that. I'd never see my hubby or son.

And we are going to start trying for a baby in about 2 years so anytime in the near future is off too!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Sas » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:16 am

Wow Gracie! That is awesome that you are doing this! Good luck with it :)

As for my hobbies... I used to really be into drama. I studied Speech and Drama after school for 10 years and loved it. I just don't seem to find the time anymore though :roll:

I do loooove playing hockey. During the season I spend so much time playing, watching and coaching on weekends. I love it :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCSA5VJ/]
Sas

Postby rivenriver » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:40 am

As far as being the oldest / fattest in the class, there's this awesome woman in my Chemistry and Biology classes. She might have been worried about the same thing - she's by no means small, and she told me once she has a son the same age as most of her uni friends! But she's also probably the smartest person in the class (of 200 odd)! She's such a lovely person, and she's always willing to help. She goes after the lecturers until she gets it exactly and then explains it all to us. I don't know anyone who doesn't admire her - she's so great for having come to uni as a mature age student, and she's just so lovely!

There are awesome people out there, and I know you'll be one of them! You can do it!
rivenriver

Re: Hobbies, interests, etc

Postby milkyway » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:04 am

electrongirl wrote:Maybe I should go to school and do IT..... maybe I'm too old..

You're never too old for study! I am currently doing International Business and I have an arts background. I love it! I am one of the oldest in most of my classes but I don't care - I love bossing the young 'uns around ;) I love trying new things.
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby rivenriver » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:10 pm

milkyway wrote:
electrongirl wrote:Maybe I should go to school and do IT..... maybe I'm too old..

You're never too old for study! I am currently doing International Business and I have an arts background. I love it! I am one of the oldest in most of my classes but I don't care - I love bossing the young 'uns around ;) I love trying new things.

*seconds* There's a bloke in my bio lab group - I swear, he's older than my grandfather. He's older than most of the lectures - probably old enough to be their father! But he's here, and doing great! NEVER too old!!!
rivenriver

Postby milkyway » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:36 pm

Oh yeah, I should add that previously, I used to be one of the youngest in my classes, even when I was in my mid-late twenties. There are so many mature aged students studying now. Most of my friends when I did my BA were in their mid-late twenties (when I was 18-21).

I'll probably be studying something for the rest of my life :D
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Bread-Monster » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:32 am

electrongirl wrote:Whats something you like to do?

I myself am a self confessed IT nerd.

I love studying web design, HTML and I also have built my last 2 PCs and upgraded my hubbies.

After working for iiNet for a while I learnt so much about the internet and all the technical stuff regarding email and servers and IP addresses and junk.

I love all this stuff, but its funny because I work in Accounts!!!

Maybe I should go to school and do IT..... maybe I'm too old..

What are your interests and have you ever thought about pursuing them more?

Amazing!! I wish my relationship with computers was as deep and profound as yours! I hate my PC, it's the bane of my existence ><. I did first year programming, Java, last year and it gave me so much grief I actually lost weight and nearly failed one of my other exams because it took up so much of my time. One time, after writing a code, I went to compile it, my computer stopped, then the fan started whirling and then I had to restart because the screen started blinking. I went to my lecturer for help and he was as amazed as I was that something like that could've happened!

I'm very much a science fiction geek. I love my Star Trek. My hobbie at one time was trying to learn Klingon...I failed miserably. Generally I like reading about tanks, firearms, physics and technology. Again, thanks to Star Trek, I'm enamored with physics and engineering. I'll be majoring in theoretical physics next year, Pure maths the year after and Mechanical engineering the year after that and I would love to work on star trek inspired technological concepts like phasor rifles, transporters, replicators, medical tricorders, dermo-regenerators, holograms, tractor beams or warp space, etc for post grad!

Exercise and tree climbing is also fun. I use to do a lot of indoor rock climbing ( I was never any good at it though.), any physical activity that isn't competitive.
Current weight 50.4kg
Current Fat % 13.5%

Fat % 14.0%

-Si vis Pacem Para bellum-
Bread-Monster

Postby electrongirl » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:37 am

milkyway wrote:

I may not be too old, but I am too far in debt!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:48 am

Amen Nikki! ditto to that!
kate_turner2000

PreviousNext

Return to Just Chatting