It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:20 am

Free Newsletter

Uni students, help!

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Uni students, help!

Postby ali » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:19 pm

Ok, so this is probably a pretty simple question for most people, but being completely computer illiterate I am stuck and I need help!

I am writing a book discussion for a history essay and I was told to use academic book reviews of the book I am discussing to help with my critical analysis of the book.

My dilemma, I dont know where to find academically suitable book reviews! I have found a couple but I need about ten! Most of the ones I have found you have to pay for, I dont even have a credit card, let alone the money to pay for online book reviews from academic journals! I tried finding the same reviews on my uni library website (it was suggested to do that) but I havent found any there.

So where do I find academically acceptable book reviews of a certain history book about genocide for a uni essay? I have been looking in academic journals on genocide and have had some success, should I just keep looking there? Its hard when I dont know the name of any genocide journals though! Lol.

I actually posed this question to my lecturer, but he responded by saying that I needed to learn how to use databases, madame, and he questioned how I had managed to stay at uni this long! How horrible. I thought his remark (which was in CAPITALS, as if it needed any more emphasis) was uncalled for and patronizing. If I dont ask, how else will I learn?! After his rude remark, he still didnt tell me. Grr. I was so upset, like I didnt feel stupid enough, so I cried and ate... a whole bag of vege crisps... now I feel sick. :oops: :roll: :x :cry:

Sorry for the long post... this is probably a stupid question anyway! I just thought if anyone else knew where to find journals which I didnt have to pay for, which are accessible online, then it would be so helpful and greatly appreciated! Thanks!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w0XqXGi/]
[/url]
GOAL 1: 59KG - 30/12/07
GOAL 2: 56KG
GOAL 3: 53KG
ali

Postby Mandie » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:24 pm

Ooh.. I know how to find heaps of medical journals, but not the kind you're after!

Our library staff are great at helping out, maybe you could e-mail/go in and they could show you the databases?

Good luck! Your lecturer sounds so mean!
Mandie

Postby ali » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:41 pm

Im too scared to ask for help now, after the horrible remark my lecturer made. He's suppose to be a teacher, so why is he so apposed to teaching people?!

Thats why I thought I would post here, because at least you guys arnt mean!

Thanks for your reply anyway Mandie. Yeah I know where to look for psychology journals but I havent had to do anything like this for history yet, and its not something they teach you, its just seems like something they expect you to know! Grr.

I am actually finding some more which is good... its just so time consuming! And Im still so upset. Im really emotional at the moment and his rude remark just sent me over the edge. Oh well. :roll:

Thanks for your reply! I really appreciate it. Its nice to know that some ppl are willing to help! (Im still so upset and annoyed at my lecturer :evil: :cry: ) Thanks again!
[/url]
ali

Postby Mandie » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:07 pm

Your lecturer is a TOSSER... but most people aren't like that! And library staff are trained to help you.. you should try if you need to, okay? Don't let one arrogant turd on his high horse mess you up!!
Mandie

Postby ali » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:17 pm

Lol, thanks Mandie, your great!

Im actually getting the hang of these historical database thingies with the journals (you can tell how good I am with computers and online sources, hehe :lol: ).

Im really pleased with myself for finding them, its just taken me hours of searching! Lol. But thats ok. I have quite a few now so thats good! Hopefully I can ace this essay and rub it in my lecturers stupid face! (Well at least I will in my head, hehe) I deserve to be at uni, despite what he says and I shouldnt let an arrogant prick let me believe otherwise!

So yay for me! Hehe.

Thanks for your support Mandie, its cheered me up heaps! Thanks! :D
[/url]
ali

Postby milkyway » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:53 pm

Hey ali - I somehow managed to get through a BA without ever learning to research properly (back before the internet!) or heaven forbid, how to reference properly... and I ain't dumb :lol: (no really, I swear I'm not :P). Mandie's right - your lecturer IS a tosser and you should never be made to feel like that for asking a question.

Anyway, I'm really good at all that stuff now; researching, referencing, searching online databases etc. I'd offer to help you out but my online library priviledges were cut because I deferred this semester :twisted:

Anyway, it sounds like you've got a good outcome and you've figured out how to do it on your own, which is the best type of learning you can ever do ;)

Good luck! You go girl and write a wicked essay and rub that in your teacher's face :P
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby ali » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:25 am

Hehe thanks milkway. Yeah I seem to have gotten the hang of it now. It just would have been a lot quicker if he just told me to look in some online journals such as.... Lol.

Thanks for the replies girlies, its cheered me up. I cant believe how rude he was just for me asking a question. My bf thinks I should make a complaint, lol. He was just so unprofessional and rude!

Anyway, enough sooking! Im just so angry. And whats worse is that I was so upset I binged :oops: :roll: Oh well, todays a new day!

I hope everyone has a good weekend!
[/url]
ali

Postby Mandie » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:41 am

I'm glad we could help a bit. I think you SHOULD complain.. he needs to know that behaviour is not on! But maybe do it after the semester is over?

I'm sorry to hear you binged... but today is a new day and you are back on top of things! :D
Mandie

Postby ali » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:47 am

Hehe yeah I was thinking of saying something, but decided it was best to wait until after my paper had been marked, haha. I dont want him marking me down because of it! Lol.

Thanks again girlies! :D
[/url]
ali

Postby rivenriver » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:28 pm

I hate nasty lecturers! My drama lecturer told me that my opinions frequently offend him. He also asked for volunteers to help out with some new teacher 'auditions', and when I volunteered, he muttered "very glad I'm not taking that class!" Yeah, I binged too. :oops:

Anyway. I don't know what resources your uni has available to you, bit if I had this problem, this is what I'd do.

1. Go to the library home page. My uni subscribes to a whole lot of those journal databases you have to pay for, an if you access them through the library page, you get logged in as them and can use them for free!

2. Go to the Academic Skills and Learning Centre, which is a place on campus that they teach you all that stuff your lecturers expect you to know, like researching and referencing and essay structure and how to write a lab report and all that. Maybe you have an equivalent?

3. Find someone who did that course last year, or is also doing it this year, and ask how they did it / are doing it.

4. Go on to webCT, the course web site, and ask on the discussion boards, if that course has them.

I hope that's helpful! I hope that your uni has some of those things too!!!!
rivenriver

Postby ali » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:35 pm

Thanks so much for that, it was really helpful.

After hours of searching last night I did discover some of the journals on the library website which it had subscribed too, however not many had what I was looking for. Its so hard when you want something so specific! But I think I have found enough now to get me through, hopefully!

Your lecturer sounds so horrible! I would have cried and binged if someone had said that to me! Im such a sook, and I hate it when people are so rude and abuse their positions of power over others. I dont understand why people enjoy belittling others, its so pathetic, and hurtful!

Thanks again! It was really helpful! :D
[/url]
ali

Return to Just Chatting