It is currently Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:31 pm

Free Newsletter

Acne-opinions please

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Acne-opinions please

Postby Roar2Life » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:10 pm

Hey guys, before I write any more I just want to let you know I really debated about whether to post this or not 'cause some of my friends don't even know this but then I thought you guys always so non-judgemental and supportive so here I go.

For the past couple of years i've always gotten pimples on my back, chest and the top of my arms though now it's slowly become more acne like. When I went to the doctor the only suggestion he had was that I go on the pill which i don't NEED to do (in regards to contraception) and don't really want to do because of side effects and the fact that my sister suffered depression when she was on the pill.

For my formal I used an over-the-counter gel and wash called Benzac AC but I don't really see it as a long term solution especially considering you're not meant to have much exposure to the sun when you use it.

I was wondering if anyone's had a similar problem and how they solved it and whether or not anyone thinks maybe the pill is the solution I need.

Thanks for your understanding guys :wink:
In a world full of people only some want to fly...

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:31 pm

hey roar!! dont feel ashamed or embarrassed about it, i am in the same boat. i have always had bad skin ever since puberty and i have been on the pill since i was 14 and it never did anything to help it. the reason i first went on the pill was not because of contraceptive needs but because of irregular periods, my bad skin, painful periods etc. maybe mandie is the best person to point you in the right direction i.e. what treatments are available for you. but i have tried everything that the chemist has to offer (without a script) and nothing has helped me. mines definately hormonal and about to start a stronger pill to help my skin.

Postby Mandie » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:13 pm

You should see your GP.. there's a few creams and things you can try - stuff that you use on your face for pimples works on backs too, but it can be expensive. Cetaphil is awesome for that, you can get it in large tubs...

RE: the pill.. depression is a side effect but it's not especially common. going on the pill helps lots of women with acne (not all though), particularly if its especially hormone related. theres some different kinds of pills you can take like Diane which has more of an anti-testosterone effect.

exfoliation is also good, lots of beauty salons now offer back treatments and things which are like facials. or you can buy some deep cleansers (oil free) and put them on your skin.. make sure you exfoliate regularly.. drink lots of water and eat healthily

theres other pills you can take for severe acne, like roaccutane, but you need to be assessed by a dermatologist first. after you try basic things, ask your gp to refer you to a dermatologist for advice.

hopefully i helped a little :) good first port of call is a beauty salon, chemist or a GP.

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:39 pm

One word - Proactiv!!!!!

It is AWESOME!! It totally changed my skin, I had such bad skin with really bad scarring too. Ask Happy_Bella55, I got her onto it too :D

Postby Lush Gal » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:57 am

I'm on Dianne contraceptive pill and am too scared to come off!! I started on a regular pill at 18, but at 20 was switched to Dianne due to painful periods.

My skin is porcelain like on it - I used to get what I called "the rash" on my chin, but now (without sounding full of myself!!) my skin is unreal (it's the pill, hence why I don't want to come off).

Also my fuzzy hair smoothed down and my figure got more womanly. It was all within a few months of the pill swap, without any other lifestyle / diet changes.

As for proactive, my sis-in-law used it post-baby and it did an INCREDIBLE job.

I'd give both the pill and proactive a go if I were you. Good luck with it, keep us posted.
Lush Gal

Postby Chelle » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:07 am

My husbands like that he get's pimples on his back. i would go to your local GP they can perscript you somthing or go to an dermintoligist.

Return to Just Chatting