It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:42 pm

Free Newsletter

self control

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

self control

Postby JL77 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:40 pm

Question:

Does anyone ever think they are a failure?

I been thinking today and I well dont feel very good about myself. I started smoking again after giving up for 5 years, and now finding it extremly hard to stop.
I cant loose weight because I dont try hard enough and give up when something tempting comes my way
I always start things and think of great ideas for work etc but always come up with reasons not to do it etc

I think my problem is I dont have any SELF CONTROL at all. I really dont.

I am not bagging myself or saying I am a bad person but it annoys me and actually depresses me that I dont have any self control

Any ideas on how I can change this ?
JEZ

Starting Weight 20/1/08 ~ 86kg
28/1/08 ~ 85kg
2 /2/08 ~ 84.2
JL77

Postby help6363 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:14 pm

Having a bad day, huh?

Habits are hard to break...... I know, we all know!!

Just find strategies that work for you. For example, next time you get tempted to eat something that will break our diet....what will you do? Try different strategies until you find what works for you!

YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE.......YOU ARE FANTASTIC!!! :D

It only takes 21 days to break a habit......I know you can do it!
help6363

Postby help6363 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:18 pm

Sorry I meant 'break your diet; NOT 'break our diet' ......typo error

This is what I did for binge eating......I have posted this before I think!

One of my biggest problems was binge eating. To solve this problem, I kept a journal with the aim of trying to figure myself out. Here’s what I did: write down when I felt like binge eating and what I felt like eating. I looked over this at a later date. When I analysed myself and my actions I came to the realisation that I like to eat greasy food when I am stressed, chocolate when I am grumpy and so forth. Now you just need to replace the habit with something else. Can you drink water when you are stressed instead of reaching for the greasy food? Make strategies that will work for YOU!

This may take some practice! Hence, just get back on the horse if you do slip up….. it’s really not the end of the world!

DON'T DOUBT YOURSELF....... YOU CAN DO THIS!!! This is one tough journey! :D

BIG HUGS!!!
help6363

Postby help6363 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:22 pm

Oh, sorry,,, me again! LOL! :lol:

If you need help developing strategies, just ask.....I am sure everyone here will have some great ideas!
help6363

Postby JL77 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:25 pm

help6363 wrote:Oh, sorry,,, me again! LOL! :lol:

If you need help developing strategies, just ask.....I am sure everyone here will have some great ideas!

you make me laugh :lol:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
JEZ

Starting Weight 20/1/08 ~ 86kg
28/1/08 ~ 85kg
2 /2/08 ~ 84.2
JL77

Postby help6363 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:31 pm

Can I ask....... what are you thinking or feeling just before, during and after you eat something tempting?

Sorry questions....... :D

It will help me to think about the strategies!
help6363

Postby milkyway » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:32 pm

I think it's a matter of acknowledging that we're human and not perfect, and to not stop quitting. So when you do muck up - just get straight back on the wagon.

Having lots of small goals may be helpful. Your goal for the week might be to drink 2l of water every day. When you achieve it, even if it's not overly hard to achieve, you'll still get a sense of satisfaction that you've done it :)

I find lists help me to - tick things off each day... this is my list

* to do at least 30 mins a day of exercise (on non training days)
* to drink at least 2lts of water
* to have 1 serve fruit
* to have 2+ serves of veggies
* to have 1 serve of protien
* to have 1 serve of dairy
* no sweetie treats – healthy snacks only!
* no alcohol
* to say something nice to yourself or someone else
* to take my vitamins and supplements

I hardly ever do all of them, but at least I've got something to aim for. If I didn't have any goals, I'd be a lot worse off (and a lot fatter :P)

Don't beat yourself up. You're here, you're making a fresh start. That's not the sort of thing a 'failure' does. A failure is someone who gives up entirely and you're not doing anything like that.

Hope this helps...
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby help6363 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:40 am

Okay...I will add more strategies later..........

1. I like Milkyway's idea!

2. I have 100-200 calories worth of treats daily. By doing this, I never feel like I am giving up everything. Of course, I add this into my total calorie intake for the day.

3. Tempting foods..... they are everywhere! I ask myself, 'what do you want... the food or the weight loss?' Normally (well 95% of the time I pick the weight loss) or I tell myself I have the right to be happy and I don't want to sabotage my happiness by eating the food.....

4. Drink water....it does fill me up!

I can write some more strategies tomorrow.........

Sorry I did not reply to your PM.......I just got it, I switched off the computer to watch The Biggest Loser....... that Kim woman is a bit mean to the people she trains......what do you think?

BIG HUGS........... Hang in there I know you can do it! :D
help6363

Return to Just Chatting