It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:39 pm

Free Newsletter

What do u think?

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

What do u think?

Postby help6363 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:44 pm

Found this article and just wondering what you all think about it?

http://body.aol.com/diet/basics/news-fat-virus

Have a great day

Cheers

Michelle
help6363

Postby vanessa0305 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:04 pm

I know why I am overweight...I over ate, I binged and I didn't exercise . I was lazy!!
Vanessa

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woi7sgh/]
[/url]
vanessa0305

Postby GoddessInside » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:26 pm

Interesting read, however I don't agree with it. I think it comes to basic equations:

calories consumed > calories burnt = obesity
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby milkyway » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:31 pm

It reeks of 'thyroid problem' to me ... and will no doubt be taken up by people who refuse to acknowledge how their lifestyle & eating habits are contributing to their obesity.

PS I don't mean to dismiss thyroid problems completely, but it can be used as a convenient 'cop out' by overweight people who are overcome with inertia to do anything about their situation and use it as an excuse for not losing any weight.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby rivenriver » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:07 am

I agree that it sounds like a cop-out. Especially that whole over-eating does not make you fat thing - of course it does! Everyone throughout history has always known that! I mean, duh! If you eat more, you will be fat!

But I also think there might be something valid in it as far as a pre-disposition to obesity goes. Because clearly there are differences between people, 2 people can eat and exercise the same way and end up different sizes. Some people eat maccas every day and are thin, some people eat carefully and have to constantly watch themselves. So this virus could have something to do with that. But I really doubt there would be any 'cure' other than eat less, exercise more. If a virus does make you more likely to become overweight, then a vaccine or something is gonna help you stay at goal weight. But you'll still have to get there yourself. I mean, what they are saying is that the virus changes stem cells to fat cells. Well, a 'cure' isn't going to reverse that, you'd have to do that yourself anyway.

Yeah, sounds a bit dodge to me.
rivenriver

Return to Just Chatting