It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:50 am

Free Newsletter

so hopeless at studying

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

so hopeless at studying

Postby Mummyof3 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:54 pm

okay since october, I have started a business and administration course level 4.... its a full time course, which requires me to go into course 2 times a wk for 3 hours, so I go every monday and wednesday from 6-9pm, other then that I am MENT TO BE STUDYING AT HOME and I dont seen to ever study, I just look at the assesments and exercises and think oh my gosh what the heck does this mean, (dropped out of school when I was 15, not very good at maths) :?

last night when i was at course our tutor, tryed explanining inventory and just the whole accounting process, OMG it was alot to take in

Straight to the point, I lack motivation and my time management suks.... It's hard trying to fit the study in as well, with the kids and the house work, gym, shopping etc and when it comes to the evening and the children are in bed, I am just so darn tired..

I really dont want to stuff this up, because after this course my goal is to get a full-time job, is anyone been in my position or is going through something similar!!!! I geuss I just really need to sit down, plan, and get my butt into gear..... :) thanks for reading :) please reply if you can...

Kaf
*FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION*

"You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be."

Mummyof3

Postby Sas » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:12 pm

Hi Kaf,

I find wirting a task for each day to do helps me and helped me at uni. I would break it up into little tasks so it didn't seem as daunting. I also found mixing it up helped to keep me motivated for longer so I would spend say an hour on one thing then swap and do a hour on something else.

Also, if you need a hand with any maths feel free to PM me :) I studied maths at uni.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCSA5VJ/]
Sas

Postby hushpuppy » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:55 pm

Hi Kaf
Doing study with kids is hard . I find i have tow rit in my diary a time and stick to it whether it be 1 hour after kids are asleep or some onther time ,Make it like a apptment and stick to it .If there is reading involved do it while kids watch videos or such
good Luck
Jules
Last edited by hushpuppy on Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby Justjudy » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:51 pm

Hi Kaf
I have just finished my cert 3 in business and am doing cert 4 next semester. I too found it very hard to study around the kids, work, house and the million other distractions of every day life (and I am a single parent to boot). I found that if I did not study at home I got five times much done, so I used to make appointment times in my diary, and head to the library. Maybe that may be a viable solution for you.

Judy :D
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFABM9h/]
[/url]
Justjudy

Re: so hopeless at studying

Postby help6363 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:37 am

Mummyof3 wrote:okay since october, I have started a business and administration course level 4.... its a full time course, which requires me to go into course 2 times a wk for 3 hours, so I go every monday and wednesday from 6-9pm, other then that I am MENT TO BE STUDYING AT HOME and I dont seen to ever study, I just look at the assesments and exercises and think oh my gosh what the heck does this mean, (dropped out of school when I was 15, not very good at maths) :?

last night when i was at course our tutor, tryed explanining inventory and just the whole accounting process, OMG it was alot to take in

Straight to the point, I lack motivation and my time management suks.... It's hard trying to fit the study in as well, with the kids and the house work, gym, shopping etc and when it comes to the evening and the children are in bed, I am just so darn tired..

I really dont want to stuff this up, because after this course my goal is to get a full-time job, is anyone been in my position or is going through something similar!!!! I geuss I just really need to sit down, plan, and get my butt into gear..... :) thanks for reading :) please reply if you can...

Kaf

Hello

I don't have kids and I found study going to the gym, looking after my dog and the daily duties HARD WORK.

You have so much more to deal with than I did!

Anyway...... my motivation ...here's what I did (I don't know if it will work for you):

1. Created a timetable and stuck to it. Soon it became part of the day.

2. Booked a counsellor with the uni (it was free, most of them have them) and worked out strategies to deal with it

3. Put up a star chart and each night I studied I got a star. Seven stars and I got a reward.

4. Leave the house to do study.

I know you can do this! Please don't give up on yourself, you are worth so much more!

I don't know if the ideas I have given will help because I don't have kids.

BIG HUGS!!!
:D
Let us know how you get on, k?
help6363

Postby Mummyof3 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:37 pm

Thanks everyone for the idea's, I went into course tonight, and we had an hour and half lecture on inventory, learning to balance ledger accounts etc, OH MY GOSH it was very interesting anyway, I was thinking in class, "I dont get any of this at the moment, i need to go home and really understand it, sit down and learn it" even though now it seems real hard, I am just going to give it the best I can, put in the study 8) so after come home from a heavy class, it was real encouraging reading all the reply's,,, THANKYOU :)

My plan is to every night, after the kids be in bed, to put in 1 hour study, AND STICK TO IT, the sounds of going down to the library, is a real good idea, I was thinking about something like that actually, I have to find a time when I can fit it in. I am also going to stay of the internet, coz I find that I am on it quiet a bit,, :oops: and really I could be using the time to study.. so the internet is a real big DISTRACTION for me........

In a weeks time I will post back here and see how I have gotten along.....

Wish me luck :D
*FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION*

"You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be."

Mummyof3

Postby milkyway » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:53 pm

Hey Kaf, I don't have a young family to deal with but I do juggle a hectic life and full-time work with study. I find the best thing to do is break things into smaller tasks so it doesn't seem too overwhelming.

Sounds like you've got a good plan in place to dedicate an hour a day to your study in the evenings. And you know what? So what if the floor needs a vacuum or the bathroom cleaning - it can wait (that's what I tell myself anyway...)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Return to Just Chatting