It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:41 pm

Free Newsletter

Ear Infection

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Ear Infection

Postby Sassygirl » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:46 pm

OMG! I have never had one of these ever in my whole life until last night. I have been complaining of a sore throat for most of the week and last night I got home from work, made dinner then went and laid down on the couch as I was feeling blah. The next thing I know, my left ear starts to block. Then the rest happened so fast. I started to get pressure in my ear, followed by pains that were really bad. I got up and managed to get to bed (leaving the kids to fend for themselve as daddy was not home then). I laid down and wham - the pain was unbelievable. I was in tears. Luckily my husband phoned and I spoke to him - I was howling at that point. He went to the chemist to get some pain killers for me.

By the time he came home - the pain was so bad that he wanted to take me to the ER room. Anyway I took 2 panadene fortes and waited for what seemed to be hours but turned out to be around 30 mins - and the pain started to ease a little - enough for me to at least get some rest.

Anyway I woke up at 4.00am and my ear is still blocked and I have an occasional pain every so often.

My daughter suffers from these and now I can honestly say - I really feel sorry for her. If this is what she has to go through everytime she gets an infection - then I will make sure that I do everything in my power to help her.

Rest of the story is that I did not go to work today - took some more pain killers and slept from 7.30am - 1.00pm. Must have needed it.
2008 - my year to be great!!

Sassygirl

Postby electrongirl » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:37 pm

oh you poor thing!!

I have heard they can be really bad!!! I hope it clears up quickly for you!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:22 pm

Oh ouch girl, hope you're feeling better ASAP! That sounds horrible!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby carls » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:12 pm

OH MY GOD!

that exact thing happened to me, pretty much word for work (cept the bit with kids!)

i had a perferated ear drum (pretty much a hole from the pressure in your ear drum)

i had to go on anti biotics and stuff to clear up the infection.

it drove me nuts for a while, but now its fine!

not fun times!
Image[/url]
carls

Postby milkyway » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:30 pm

Ouch!

Did you lose your balance?
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby carls » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:33 pm

at first i lost my balance pretty badly

but the worst bit was when it was healing, it was almost like having a giant bubble in my ear that would sometimes blow up.

so when i was talking at work (im a teacher!) my voice was echoing and driving me generally insane!
Image[/url]
carls

Postby milkyway » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:07 pm

I've experienced that echoey voice on a phone before and that's so annoying - it's hard to concentrate. I can only imagine how bad it is in the classroom!
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Chelle » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:26 pm

Hey Michelle how is your ear feeling today any better, you poor thing, rest is the best medicine.
Chelle

Postby Sassygirl » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:13 pm

Much better today - although it is still a tad blocked. Hopefully it will be back to normal soon.

And yes my balance was also off and I had the "echoey" affect too!!!

Sassygirl

Postby jeshka » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:29 pm

oh i hate ear infections! i had one about 2 weeks ago - i had come down with a respiratory infection about 3 days earlier, then one morning i woke up around 4am with stabbing pain in my ear - the infection had spread (i didn't even know it could do that!). it was blocked for a few days but the antibiotic ear drops really cleared it up. i had a horrible one last year where the pain got worse and worse over around 3 hours while i was at work until it was so bad i thought my eardrum was going to burst. had to wait ages to see a doctor, then i was given painkillers, ear drops and antibiotics - the painkillers knocked me out for 2 days but they certainly helped the pain!
jeshka

Postby Sassygirl » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:50 pm

Oh well today I finally did it - I went to the doctors. I am now on antibiotics for 2 x middle ear infections - that's right - both my ears are "sick". He also said that the dullness in my left ear will probably take about 3 weeks to improve - if not then I have to look at other ways to make them better.

Oh well at least I have scored 3 days off of work - yeah me. But I would rather have 100% hearing back and go to work!!

At least my kiddies are happy that they don't have to get up early tomorrow and enjoy their school holidays until day care starts next week.

Cheers

Sassygirl

Return to Just Chatting