It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:21 am

Free Newsletter

TMI question

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

TMI question

Postby Fiona25 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:12 am

Ok...here goes :oops:

The last 6 days I have been SO good with diet and exercise, but since that time I have only done 2 # 2's, both of which very small amounts :oops:

And when I have gone i've been quite constipated! I've been eating plenty of fruit and veg so would this be covering my fibre? What can I do? Is it safe to take a laxative at this point?

*runs and hides*
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby Rustie » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:39 am

Maybe your not drinking enough water??

SW: 80kg
CW: 78.5kg
GW: 60kg
Rustie

Postby hushpuppy » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:30 am

MAke sure you are drinking at least 2 ltr of water . Some times when changing your diet it takes a little while to adjust . I know mine did on the shakes .
Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby sassi » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:49 am

i agree about the water comment - cos you've got to have it if you want to help all that fibre through (so to speak!!!).

do you use calorie king at all? i've set mine up so it gives me a tally of the fibre in what i'm eating & it gives me my daily goal for fibre intake as well.

otherwise i agree with jules - it might just be a change in diet that's done it?

i'm never a big fan of things like laxatives (although i'm sure they're safe) - what about trying some dried fruits like prunes or apricots first?
sassi

Postby Mandie » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:28 pm

I wouldn't head for the laxative route just yet. You can get into a bit of trouble with laxatives working TOO well, and then you need Immodium, and then laxatives again.. and I reckon it's best to just sort it out naturally!

Try some high fiber foods like raw fruit and vegies, especially stuff like celery and corn. Maybe try eating some bran/muesli or dried fruits as someone else suggested.

Make sure you are drinking plenty of water (2L per day) so that the stools are soft enough to come out.

Good luck!
Mandie

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:12 pm

Depending on how much fat you've cut out of your diet you might want to consider trying a little flaxseed oil.

I have a vegan diet, so fibre has never been an issue, but when I started Weight Watchers I found I was getting a little constipated. At one of the meetings our group leader pointed out the value of adding some healthy fats, especially if you're vegetarian and don't get Omega 3 oils from fish. I started taking flaxseed oil and found it really helped. Not just with my digestive functions, but mentally I felt more alert as well.

I've also found that jogging helps my 'digestive process'.

And like everyone else has said, water is vital in keeping stools soft enough to pass.

I'd speak to a doctor before trying laxatives. There are many other options available to help with constipation. As well as dietary changes there are also warm water enemas or suppositories to help break down the stools which (I think) don't irritate the digestive tract to the extent that laxatives do. I think only a doctor would be qualified to determine what would be best for your situation.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Fiona25 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:40 pm

The thing is I drink 3ltrs of water a day! And water in tea and things ontop of that. My urine is always clear except for first thing in the morning so I don't think its a lack of water.

I will try having some muslie though and will look on CK for high fibre foods.

I have cut A LOT of fat out of my diet, as well as sugar and carbs.

The main things I eat are fruit, veg, lean meat, fish and snack on low fat biscuits, yoghurt etc.

I did manage to go again today, and like the other days it sinks right to the bottom of the toilet (TMI again :oops: ) which i've read means it contains not much fat and not much fibre.

Fiona25

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:52 pm

*sigh* I'm always constipated :( I don't get it, I eat between 25-35g of fibre every day without fail, drink at least 4L of water, exercise etc etc... And yeah, I don't go to the loo to do #2's very often at all!!!! I don't understand why!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Juddy » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:16 pm

Are you comparing the number of visits to the loo with what you're used to before trying to lose weight?

It probably has to do with a number of things - firstly, it might have to do with the overall amount of food you're eating being less than usual, therefore you don't need to go to the toilet as much.

It might also have to do with the type of food you're eating.
Juddy

Postby Fiona25 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:59 pm

Yep Juddy, i'm comparing to how often I used to go. I used to go 1-2 x a day, but always at least once. BUT, I used to get a lot of crap and large amounts of food and hardly exercised, didn't drink much water either.

Maybe this is normal for me now??? But I just read that its normal to go 1-2 x a day?

Fiona25

Postby Fiona25 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:02 pm

Typo - I used to EAT not get!

Fiona25

Return to Just Chatting