It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:43 pm

Free Newsletter

Not weight-loss related: Donating Blood

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby electrongirl » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:37 pm

they pinprick your finger first to test your hemoglobin(sp?) and that hurt WAY more than the needle in the arm!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby milkyway » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:17 pm

Does that mean you've lost about half a kilo??? :P
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby electrongirl » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:21 pm

hahaha I should have weighed myself before and after!!

I had to drink alot of fluids afterwards so I made up for it!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Jane85 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:06 pm

I made my donation on Wed after work, gunna book one for 12 weeks time, coz the new donor centre is on the way home from work, so there's just no excuse not to :P

And yeah....the fingerprick test was the absolute worst, I agree. Went for my 2nd cervical cancer jab yesterday, and that was worse again than the fingerprick test, feeling a bit like a pin cushion :P

Cheers to you ladies for donating too :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wEuhBwI/]
[/url]
Jane85

Postby Fireball » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:25 pm

HI Grugwashere

What you're saying they did doesn't make sense, it sounds like a mistake to me. I am assuming your sister is your legal guardian? Normally in any legal matter that is treated the same as a parent would be. If you want to donate blood I think it would be worth ringing and asking to speak to the service manager to clarify that and if there is a problem how can it be resolved. Good luck

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Re: Not weight-loss related: Donating Blood

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:46 pm

I was supposed to donate today, but it turns out I need clearance from my doctor before they'll take my blood. :(

I had megaloblastic anaemia a few years ago. It was fixed with a series of B12 injections and I've been on oral B12 supplements since then. But because I haven't been tested for it in the last year they want me to get tested first. It's fair enough. I really should get tested regularly for it anyway. But it's still annoying as I'd really psyched myself up for this! I felt really stupid for not getting tested earlier, but the nurse was really lovely about it. So now I need to book myself in for a blood test and then reschedule to donate blood next time the mobile donation centre comes around.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby ali76 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:15 am

What a great thread! Thank you :D

It was a New Years Resolution of mine to start donating blood. I have to wait until March for it to be 12 months since my last tattoo though.

I've never donated before...I'm not really worried about the blood being drawn, etc but was wondering if I needed any doctors clearance, etc before I go? Or do they do all the testing on the blood you donate? I don't even know what blood type I am?!

I want it to be something I do on a regular basis...it's so simple but SO important!
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:39 am

If you've had a history of anaemia like I have you should probably get a letter from your doctor. If you contact them via their website to donate they'll phone you up and ask you a series of questions to make sure you're eligible. Then they test your haemoglobin on the day and you have a huge questionnaire to fill in to find out if there are any concerns (that's where my past anaemia issues came up). Don't worry about your blood type. They test that as well. I know my blood type and they never even asked me (of course I didn't get to the donation stage so maybe that's where they ask that question!)

If you're in good health and you want to donate then contact them. They'll let you know if you need a doctor's certificate or not.

Here's the URL of their website: http://www.donateblood.com.au/
EvilWombatQueen

Postby electrongirl » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:19 am

they didn't ask me my blood type.

They take 500mls of blood, 470ml of that is your donation and 3 x 10ml vials for testing.

They test for HIV etc before they use the blood. If anything comes up they will contact you. They also send you out a donor card, I havn't got mine yet.

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby bferbear » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:34 am

I am o-, and unfortunately ineligible to give blood. I tried again just recently, but have two strikes against me. I lived in the UK in 1994/95 and am on heart medication.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wfrtWWa/]
[/url]
bferbear

Postby ali76 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:13 pm

I'm all booked in...11th of March at 7.30am is D-Day!!

The only bonus is that I'm not allowed to go to the gym that night!! Woo Hoo!!
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby Nikerz82 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:30 pm

I wish I could but I have the worst veins in existance, I have enough trouble giving them the quantity they need to do a simple blood test. it sucks, they collapse and creep and it usually takes them 2-3 attempts before they find one that gives. :?
Nikerz82

Postby electrongirl » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:31 pm

I got my donor card and I am AB+, I thought I was!!

I'm a rarey!!

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby emmaline » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:37 pm

I'm off to donate today!
It's been a while since I last did
I used to do it all the time with school and fairly often at uni, but then I had a really bad bruise from the last blood donation and was generally unwell for a couple of years (all crazy diseases and rashes that kept popping up!) so I took a bit of a break!
But now I"m in town and close to the donation centres so no more excuses!
I think I will book in every 12 weeks to remind myself
Has anyone ever donated plasma/platelets? I know its a different process and a lot more painful (I think?) but I would like to look into it..
It makes a difference when it hits home too, doesn't it? My partner's mum has leukemia so it definitely puts things in perspective!

Quick question... did you guys get weighed?
I can't remember if they weigh you or just ask!
emmaline

Postby emmaline » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:47 pm

Hmm I think I meant bone marrow
Hahaha I'm an idiot!
emmaline

PreviousNext

Return to Just Chatting