It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:59 pm

Free Newsletter

Not weight-loss related: Donating Blood

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Not weight-loss related: Donating Blood

Postby shokoden » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:11 pm

I just wanted to ask. I had a blood transfusion 18months ago how long do I have to wait before I can donate? If i can donate?
shokoden

Postby electrongirl » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:25 pm

they do weigh you, but the scales they used where I went were very off!! And very well used!!

shokoden wrote:I just wanted to ask. I had a blood transfusion 18months ago how long do I have to wait before I can donate? If i can donate?

I'm not 100% sure on that one, but if you go here theres heaps of info: http://www.donateblood.com.au
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:38 pm

don't know about blood transfusions... call them and ask! I rang and asked if I was ok to go in after surgery in December (I donated yesterday... YAY for me!). For surgery with no transfusion it's 2 months.

* edit - just checked the site, it says 12 months post transfusion is ok.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby LaurenJ » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:40 pm

I have made 37 blood donations over the years, but lately it has become more of a negative experience. My local Red Cross has started weighing all blood donors, in the waiting room, in front of everyone, which is hugely embarrassing. The last time I went to donate I yet again failed the haemoglobin test, Im mildly anemic, so I have to slink out feeling like a carrier of some disease. When I make the grade they get 2 or 3 phlebotomists to try and find my vein, which is very small.....and the last time I also got told off for my blood not flowing fast enough........ you should drink a litre of water before you come in. Im sorry to say Im thinking of giving up.
Image Me BeforeImageMe After
LaurenJ

Postby emmaline » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:06 am

I gave blood for the fourth time on Thursday and had a mixed experience
They also had the scales in the middle of the room which was a bit humiliating... but also a good incentive for me to lose! I'm tired of always being embarrassed of being weighed in public...
the girl interviewing me was incredibly rude.
I hadn't donated in two years because I had a bad experience the last time (the needles wasn't put in properly, making the whole process really painful and i was bruised for weeks all over my arm) and i hadn't been very healthy the following year, constantly run down and picking up viruses.
so i basically got given attitude that i hadn't been in a while, which i thought was a bit harsh as she doesn't know anything about my life
she was then generally rude, telling me i looked incredibly pale and unwell - i was feeling the best i had in weeks! i'm just naturally a bit pasty :oops:
And then when it came to what medication i was on... she was all "well i'm guessing the pill?" which I thought was incredibly rude and presumptuous!
it really made me feel awful about the whole experience... and she kept making me repeat my weight to her, despite her having read it off the scales herself.
Luckily she wasn't taking my blood or i'd have been a bit scared!
everyone else there was LOVELY! The lady who did my needle, and everyone else, was so sweet!
Definitely made up for the other woman.
I'll be going back every 12 weeks now, and if my veins decide they want to get a bit fatter (the only thing i dnt mind getting fatter.. apart from my wallet!) i'll go more regularly and give plasma!
emmaline

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:24 am

I've never had a bad experience with staff!! Only had one bad experience on the first time and they had to tip me upside down cause I felt faint :oops:

Last time I went they were watching some medical show and there was a bad car accident and all the nurses turned around and said "see, that's why we need you guys!!" and then there was a poor man who had to have this thing called a halo where they screw your skull into this big metal frame (looked more like torture than medicine to me) and all the nurses were going "eewwww, gross" "why are they doing that?" "that's a halo right?" it was soooo funny, and their manager came in and made a comment about them doing lots of work and we all decided that since it was a medical show showing medical procedures it must have to be classified as "personal development" and therefore they were working. :lol:

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby electrongirl » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:46 am

I had to get tipped upside down too!! hehe

My experience was great. I did have to get weighed in the wating room but no one other than me & the lady could see my weight and I don't think anyone in there really cared anyway. I think most people have other things on their minds!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby ali76 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:08 pm

I finally did it!! :mrgreen:

I was actually supposed to go a few months ago but had my accident and had to postpone...but today was it!!

I was so nervous this morning but the people there are just lovely....I've even made another appointment for 12 weeks time.

I'd recommend everyone do this....do you know that only 3% of the population donate blood - but nearly 33% will one day need it?!

Trust me - if I can do it, anyone can!!! :mrgreen:
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby Tarz » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:17 pm

Well done Ali for getting the guts to do it.
I give blood every 12 weeks. And the red cross has made it nice and easy for me because the mobile blood bank sets up camp across the road from my office. I try to get as many people in the office to give as possible. It annoys me that most people will expect the blood to be there if they ever need it but won't donate them selves. I know some people can't give blood for certain reasons but every body else should forget their fear of needles for 20 minutes every 12 weeks and do something good. Plus you get some yummy munchies afterwards :mrgreen:
The mobile bank came round about 2 or 3 weeks ago and i wasn't llowed to give blood because i had been sick. So well done Ali on donating and setting up another appointment.
Tarz

Postby ali76 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:44 pm

Thanks Tarz :P I'm feeling really proud of myself.

This really is going to be a year of actually doing things...I'm going to reach my goal weight and I'm going to be a regular blood donor.

I was stupidly scared of giving blood and it really was such a powerful thing to over come it and to know I could actually save a life!

Come on people - join the blood donors!! :mrgreen:
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
ali76

Postby emmaline » Tue May 13, 2008 1:23 pm

You all inspired me to rebook!
It's been 12 weeks since my last
Way to go team :)
emmaline

Postby Tarz » Wed May 14, 2008 12:41 pm

I cannot give blood until May next year. It was one of my cons when i decided to get a tattoo, but the pros outweighed the cons. I'm just gonna have to push as many people as i can to give blood since i can't.
Tarz

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed May 14, 2008 7:41 pm

I need to rebook.... so many things to do, so little time! Maybe after exams... oh, now I feel bad. Like someone can just hang around and wait for me to have my exams when they need blood :(

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby ali76 » Wed May 14, 2008 9:42 pm

Tarz, I forgot about that! I had to wait until April as I had a tattoo done in March last year.

We'll get on the recruiting campaign!
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
ali76

Previous

Return to Just Chatting