It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:34 pm

Free Newsletter

Shopping list

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Shopping list

Postby chubbywife79 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:36 pm

I'm curious, since we quit smoking. I'm trying to find other ways to save money. One is doing a shopping list. Does anyone do a shopping list and do you find it saves you money?
chubbywife79

Postby electrongirl » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:00 pm

yes definately. Making up a meal plan for the week is a great way to save money as you only buy what you need for that week.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Misstoodles » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:37 am

Im gonna try and talk to my parents about this again. A few years ago we stopped buying take outs, we shopped once for packet food and twice for fresh food a week and stuck to the shopping list, and mum and dad had a certain amount of pocket money for the week and that was it. They saved SO much money.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFyKFbn/]
[/url]
Misstoodles

Postby ellecee » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:31 am

absolutely! I always have a shopping list going.

Congrats on giving up smoking :) When I gave up I got a money tin and anytime I got $1 $2 .50c coiins, I would put them in the tin. Amazing how it builds up and I never noticed it gone.

Another thing a friend of mine suggested was to put $2 in the tin everytime I completed a workout.

All the best :)
SW: 142.4 - Nov '07
CW: 119.2
GW: 75.0

4th mini goal: 115kg - Pandora Charm
~ I am one workout stronger than yesterday ~
ellecee

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:30 pm

I do a shopping list, but always end up with at least 1 thing not on it :roll:

One of my goals for 2008 is to cut down spending on groceries though. I still live at home and buy a lot of my own groceries, and I tend to buy fancy schmancy things that I don't really need. Seeing as I will (hopefully) be starting Uni at the end of February, I need to cut down!!! So as of this week I have a limit for grocery shopping, not allowed to spend above a certain amount!!! It's hard, I tells ya!! :P
zeedeveelgirl

Postby oostevens » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:37 pm

we just redid our finances. And i have found a way to save about 20-30 a week on groceries.

the butcher sells 1kg sausages, 1kg rissoles, 1kg bbq steaks and 1kg chops for $27! now that equates to like 16 meals (if u say 250g is a serving size for 2 people). And if we get like $40 of fruit and vege thats also 2wks worth. Meaning we save like well...heaps :p Oh and we will have to add some chicken (if on special) and tin tuna

Use to spend 130 a week. Gunna try and spend 110 a fortnite :)

Buy in bulk! and buy the cheaper brands :) we are going to :)

When i was a kid, my dad was the only worker and didnt get heaps either, and we never went hungry. Mum shopped once a fortnite, and just bought in bulk :)

YAY
[*RACHEL*]

YOU CAN DOOO IT!!!!!

[First goal: to reach 80kgs]
[Second goal: to reach 75kgs]

oostevens

Postby Misstoodles » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:02 pm

Yeah bulk is definately the way to go. Only trouble with fruit and veg is nowerdays it doesn't seem to last very long. We get a few days out of it before it's on its way out.

We used to have a really kick-ass massive freezer, like the sort you see in fishing stores that holds all the bait. Saved my parents an absolute bunch for years until it finally died on us. We've never been able to find a decent sized freezer since!

Megan
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFyKFbn/]
[/url]
Misstoodles

Postby oostevens » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:54 pm

wow.

did our first grocery shop on our new budget and omg!

We got nearly 3wks worth of meat for like $40!

Our butcher has a deal $27 for 1kg chops, 1kg rissoles, 1kg sausages, 1kg bbq steaks.

We just added 2 rump steaks in our freezer, 1kg mince and 1 tin tuna :)

We also got nearly 2wks worth of fruit/veg for about $35-$40.

I am stoked!

So from now on, every fortnite we get meat and vege/fruit, the other week we get like house hold stuff and stock up on jars (such as bolognaise sauce, satay, chicken sauce anything u add to meat)

yay
[*RACHEL*]

YOU CAN DOOO IT!!!!!

[First goal: to reach 80kgs]
[Second goal: to reach 75kgs]

oostevens

Postby Fireball » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:22 am

We used to do a shopping list to estimate costs, so embarrassing to be short of cash at the checkout. :oops: But I mainy use the list to ensure we don't forget anything important, like milk or coffee. I enjoy my cuppa. aaah

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby Gal Friday » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:26 pm

We dont, but I want to! We are going to plan, plan plan! and save money!

IN regards to fruit not lasting etc... if you get it from a local farmers market (we have one that sets up at a few places across canberra on the weekends were LOTS of local growers come), the fruit and veg lasts longer. And it is cheaper!
Gal Friday

Postby hushpuppy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:48 pm

I always write one but most of the time for get it and leave it on the bench lol . I am pretty good though i get my staples every wekk and forget the luxuryies which is prob a good thing lol
Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Return to Just Chatting