It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:13 pm

Free Newsletter

Surreal Day

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Surreal Day

Postby bferbear » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:23 pm

I sorta kinda killed my neighbours dog last night. They witnessed it, and acknowledge that it wasn't my fault and that it was totally unavoidable. It ran out from between 2 cars where there were no street lights and I ran over it. I wasn't speeding, I just couldn't see it.

The problem is that it damaged my car, cracked a radiator hose and housing, about $1000 worth of damage even at mates rates. I am now in the position where I have to hand them a bill for the repairs. I am not entirely comfortable about approaching them today, but have to do it before Monday as that is when the parts will arrive and the car will need to be paid for.

How do you bring up a subject like that. "Hi, I know i killed your family's pet yesterday, and now I would like to bill you for the privilege."
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wfrtWWa/]
[/url]
bferbear

Postby oostevens » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:41 pm

wow....i am so sorry mate i seriously have no idea.

i can se it from your point, it was there dog and it wasnt your fault and there was damage....but i can see it from their point too.

Does someone's dog damaging your car mean they have to pay? sorry that wasnt to sound rude, i was just wondering, does it? because its their pet and they own it?

Maybe you could go over there with some chocolates or flowers and apologise again for what happened, but also mention the damage and that you are unable to pay for that, they might be happier paying a bit of the amount as opposed to all of it.

:s sorry i cannot be much help. if i had accidentally hit and killed anything i would be a blubbering mess for months :p

I really hope it all works out, please let us know.

Good luck
[*RACHEL*]

YOU CAN DOOO IT!!!!!

[First goal: to reach 80kgs]
[Second goal: to reach 75kgs]

oostevens

Postby bferbear » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:10 pm

According to the person from my insurance company I spoke to, they are liable for the damage to my car. Their dog was in the street off the leash therefore they are responsible for any damage caused.

The insurance company suggested I approach them before officially getting the insurer involved as it could prove cheaper for them if they are reasonable about it.
[/url]
bferbear

Postby Fiona25 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:12 pm

Yes Rachel, legally, the dog owner must pay for the damage.

About 6yrs ago my dog got run over and killed. That alone was so very hard, I cried for a week straight BUT I knew my responsibility and coughed up for the damage. I didn't know the people but they felt so bad and got it done on the cheap for me.

I have no idea how you can approach this situation as you know these people...you're kind of between a rock and a hard place, but they DO have to pay for the damage.

Let us know how you get on and if I can brainstorm a way for you to say it to them then i'll let you know.
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby oostevens » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:34 pm

well there ya go. i never knew that someone's pet causing damage costed its owners :) i shall remember that.

its a tough one :( wish i could help more
[*RACHEL*]

YOU CAN DOOO IT!!!!!

[First goal: to reach 80kgs]
[Second goal: to reach 75kgs]

oostevens

Postby soon2bayummymummy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:42 pm

omg thats no good and even worst that the owner of the dog has to pay the damage, what happens if the dog wasnt microchipped and u didnt know the owner, would the insurance of paid it?
goodluck
soon2bayummymummy

Postby shelbel » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:05 pm

Geez that is a dilema! I really feel for both sides on this one. Were you close to these people, will it affect your relationship with them?

I like Rach's suggestion of going to see them with a sweetner and explaining the situation, see what they say. It will sound better coming from you then a stranger and it gives them some warning too.

Good luck, i hope they are understanding. Let us know how you go.
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby Gal Friday » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:47 pm

That is so interesting that they have to pay. If a child ran into the street and got killed and it damaged your car, they wouldnt have to pay. If the dog gets out of the yard or off the leash, how is it their fault? Hmmmm.

I also wonder about strays. What if it was a stray dog? Would the insurance company just cough up? Or are they trying to get out of paying?
Gal Friday

Postby Fiona25 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:47 am

^ That is a REALLY interesting question re a child and a dog!

Bascially it is the dog owners responsibility to keep their dog controlled. My dog that got run over broke off her leash, jumped the fence and ran out onto a highway.

I think the insurance company would pay up if it was a stray dog, but because the owners are known, the insurance company will make them pay.

If you hit a cow its the same deal. If your dog wanders onto a farming property near stock, the farmer is allowed to shoot that dog. Weired rules I know, but they are what they are.
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby Misstoodles » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:20 am

Good thing they've already agreed that it wasn't your fault. As heartless as this sounds, if they try the whole 'but you just killed our dog' crap to try and make you feel bad to avoid paying you for the damage their pet caused, you can always throw back 'You could have kept your pet secured and avoided this whole mess to begin with'.

I'm not saying it's their fault, but if they try and make it seem like its -your- fault, then let them have it.

People can be completely unreasonable when it comes to money. Everything could go well, but if it doesn't, then mention to them that if you can't come to an agreement, then getting the insurance company to deal with it will actually cost them more. Should work.

One thing though, after whats happened.. keep an eye out for any dodgy stuff happening to your property.. Neighbours can make life a real pain in the bum.

Megan
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFyKFbn/]
[/url]
Misstoodles

Postby SarahC » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:23 am

What an awkward situtation!! I hope it all turns out for the best *crosses fingers*

I ran into my neighbor's car last month, and still haven't got round to confessing and telling them my insurance details. Funny thing is I have had strange people coming to my house and knocking on the door. I live by myself so I never ever answer to anyone I don't know or am not expecting. I don't know if it's them or not! Tis actually a bit scary...

It's hard when you live so close to people, you need to stay on their good side :?
SarahC

Postby Gal Friday » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:27 am

See I could never make someone feel bad about ME killing their dog! There are so many reasons that an animal can get out. I think it is important not to be too judgemental... especially when something is now dead. It will not help the situation!
Gal Friday

Postby bferbear » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:38 am

The way I am looking at it is that I didn't kill their dog. Their dog died whilst damaging MY car.

I am not too worried about the conflict getting aggressive. At 6'2" and 145kgs I am big enough and ugly enough to look after myself. It is the whole crying teary thing I don't deal with well.

I am going to leave it until i have the written receipt in my hand to go and discuss it with them on Monday. Hopefully they will be prepared to discuss it rationally at that point, and emotion can be left out of it to a degree although i appreciate it will always be an emotional topic for them.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice guys, this forum can be a therapeutic way of discussing topics you don't want to discuss with people in real life.
[/url]
bferbear

Postby Gal Friday » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:41 am

Good luck! and you are tougher than me! I would be a mess at the thought of having to go and ask them for money!
Gal Friday

Postby sassi » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:56 am

bferbear wrote:
I am not too worried about the conflict getting aggressive. At 6'2" and 145kgs I am big enough and ugly enough to look after myself. It is the whole crying teary thing I don't deal with well.
lucky you're not coming to see me then! :lol: i'm a total sook about animals, and especially my pets. i'd be a blubbering mess!
sassi

Next

Return to Just Chatting