It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:18 am

Free Newsletter

Surreal Day

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Fireball » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:24 am

The difference between a dog and a child would primarily be that a dog is seen as your property and a child is not; quite different legislation would apply. I do feel sorry for the people as I would be distressed if it was my dog. But then, my dog never gets out because it is MY responsibility to keep her and other people safe by not allowing her to run amok. Actually if it was my dog, I would be upset & feel guilty that my dog had caused a crash!

I guess you have spoken to your insurance company? You could broach the topic by telling your neighbours what your insurance company has said to you. It may be good to mention that you do feel a bit uncormfortable about it as you wouldnt want this sad incident to marr your relationship with them. Unfortunately as Megan said, people often do get a bit funny when money is involved. If they get upset, at the end of the day, it is their fault. If they did get a bit narkie, I would point out it is lucky that the accident didn't have worse consequences.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby Fireball » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:48 am

If you haven't done it already, you need to report the crash to the police as it has resulted in $1000 damages. That should be done within 24 hours but still do it if you haven't done it yet.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby bferbear » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:29 am

According to my insurance company I only needed to report it to the police if a human was injured or if my car needed to be towed, apart from the fact that the damage is not as bad as first estimated.

At first they thought they may have to replace the reservoir for my radiator plus one of the hoses. However the reservoir had just been bumped out of skew and doesn't need replacing. It will still be around $300-$400 once they have finished, but it could have been a lot more expensive.

I have spoken to my neighbour briefly this morning (he was outside when i went to go to the gym). I know money is a little tight for them but he has agreed to pay me at $50 a week for a few weeks to cover the cost. I did have to point out that his was liable for any damage caused and my friend could very easily have made the quote a lot higher (he offered to do this and we would split the difference 50/50).

It all appears to be resolved relatively amicably, although I have now gone from being the big guy with the loud music at the end of the street to being the big guy with loud music at the end of the street who kills dogs and eats babies according to the looks a few people gave me yesterday. :twisted: :evil:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wfrtWWa/]
[/url]
bferbear

Postby Fireball » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:08 am

The comment you made about what your insurance company said was interesting - definitely have to report all crashes with an estimaetd $1000 damages here in SA and I thought the road rules were national now. Anyway, glad to hear that it has worked out ok and that the costs are lower. :)

Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby bferbear » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:42 am

Maybe the $1000 rule applies if there is another vehicle or human involved. It may not apply to animals.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wfrtWWa/]
[/url]
bferbear

Previous

Return to Just Chatting