It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:27 pm

Free Newsletter

work

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

work

Postby JL77 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:43 pm

So i have been doing childcare for quiet some time, and I havnt been enjoying it at all. So I changed companies to make sure it wasnt that actual company I was working for I wasnt enjoying. I enjoy the ppl I work with and was loving it for about a month but now I have decided to swap careers and do something else.

To be honest I dont really want a career anymore, I kinda just want a job I can go to, enjoy and come home without worrying about it.

But the thing is, I cant decide what it is I wanna do, and I dont know how to work it out. Its hard because I work full time so i cant just take a day off and go do some volenteer work and I am scared if I choice something to study and I dont like it then I have waste my time.

I am feeling quiet depressed about it really, really dont know what to do
JEZ

Starting Weight 20/1/08 ~ 86kg
28/1/08 ~ 85kg
2 /2/08 ~ 84.2
JL77

Postby GoddessInside » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:49 pm

Jez Im sorry you are feeling a little down about it all.

What I tell my clients when they are in this position is to write down the skills that they have and that can be transferred to a new position. Then I get them to write down any training that they may need to upskill ( eg computers, software, first aid etc ) and finally I get them to write down their interests.

By doing this they have it all infront of them, black and white and 9 times out of 10, the answer is just staring at them.

Hope this helps. Good Luck with the job hunting :)
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby JL77 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:41 pm

thanks so much for that.. I know what I would be GREAT AT AND ENJOY and thats working with animals. I just emailed a few companies about their courses. I cant go to tafe because of the hours I work
JEZ

28/1/08 ~ 85kg
2 /2/08 ~ 84.2
JL77

Postby Fiona25 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:56 pm

Some ideas for working with animals:

Petcare business - my mum used to do this, very cheap to set up and basically you go to pets homes and look after them while their owners are away, also collect mail, water gardens etc.

Dog/cat boarding kennels - many of these are family run, but you might get a few days a week this way?

Vet nurse - hard to find a clinic to take you on, and while doing your VNC you may have to work for free, I think you have to do 8hrs min of practical work a week, you might get work after though.

Pet shop - just walking in and handing in your resume might get you some work.

Courses in naturopathy, aromoatherapy, massage etc for animals would be good, you could travel to homes or work from home.

I think it is VERY important that we do in life what we want! No point being stuck in a job that you aren't happy in. I did that for over 4yrs, worked 60-75hr weeks and hated it at the end. I took a year off, studied, had no money but am now doing all the things I love to do, it was worth it.
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby JL77 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:13 pm

Fiona25 wrote:Some ideas for working with animals:

Petcare business - my mum used to do this, very cheap to set up and basically you go to pets homes and look after them while their owners are away, also collect mail, water gardens etc.

Dog/cat boarding kennels - many of these are family run, but you might get a few days a week this way?

Vet nurse - hard to find a clinic to take you on, and while doing your VNC you may have to work for free, I think you have to do 8hrs min of practical work a week, you might get work after though.

Pet shop - just walking in and handing in your resume might get you some work.

Courses in naturopathy, aromoatherapy, massage etc for animals would be good, you could travel to homes or work from home.

I think it is VERY important that we do in life what we want! No point being stuck in a job that you aren't happy in. I did that for over 4yrs, worked 60-75hr weeks and hated it at the end. I took a year off, studied, had no money but am now doing all the things I love to do, it was worth it.

fee I was going to set up a pet care one minding animals, collecting mail etc but i chickened out because I was worried about how it would take off and working full time. I was always worried about insurence and wasnt sure how to look it up
JEZ

28/1/08 ~ 85kg
2 /2/08 ~ 84.2
JL77

Postby Fiona25 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:56 pm

My Mum will be visiting me a week from tomorrow, so I will ask her anything you want me to and get back to you with answers :P
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Return to Just Chatting