It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:50 am

Free Newsletter

Wing Chun Kung Fu

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Wing Chun Kung Fu

Postby Fireball » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:40 am

I was playing around on the internet and looked up Wing Chun Kung Fu. I was a student for quite a while. I thought about returning but whenever I try to do strenuous exercise I get another injury. So, I decided tonight I will aim to get fit enough that I can return to training before the end of this year as it will be my 20 year anniversay (I started there in 1987). After I decided that I was reading more info and found out that Sifu Jim Fung passed away last year. :shock: I can't belive it. I feel sad that I have missed the opportunity to train while he was still with us for all those years and now I decided to go back it is too late. I feel like a bit of a traitor or something, it's hard to describe.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:09 am

Oh my lord, are you serious!? He died?! I did Master Jim Fung's Wing Chun for a few years when I was 13-16, and loved it. That's really sad :(
My 2nd lesson ever was actually a seminar that he took, I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time to participate in it!!!
May he rest in peace :( :(
And don't let it stop you from returning to it!! I'd love to, but a lot of factors are preventing it, money being the biggest :(

Em xoxo
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Fireball » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:56 pm

I figure I will probably need less to eat when I'm thinner so that will help cover the cost..

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby milkyway » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:16 pm

what a fantastic goal to work towards :)

I used to do karate, and now do TKD and I tried Kung Fu but was terrible at it :(

You're not a traitor and if anything, he'd be thrilled that you'd decided to get your health in order and get back into it :D
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Fireball » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:52 pm

Your right. Thanks. When you say you did Kung Fu, there are different types, and we are all different so what suits individuals varies. Wing Chun was developed by a female and it isn't dependent on brute strength so it is an excellent form of martial arts for women. I liked the fact there were no high kicks or rolls. I did get extremely fit doing it. One man told me he was only doing it because of me. When he started he said he was really unfit and he said to himself during the warm down (pushups, situps etc.) just keep pushing until the women drops and then he could stop. He didnt know but I was one of the fittest there and being the only woman I pushed myself to match the best of them to prove we women can do it. He said he was still trying to catch up to me after being there 2 years. Funny I never thought of myself as being very good. 8)

Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby milkyway » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:23 am

I don't remember which style it was - I was living in China at the time and when in Rome, as they say... anyway, I was training with some amazing athletes who were doing Kung Fu as their university major. They were full-time kung Fu students. They were petite, muscley and so bloody good. I looked like an elephant trying to do ballet next to them. I learnt the first 'pattern' but that was about it. Everything from the hand positions to stances to the way you hold your head was completely different to karate or taekwondo. But it's so beautiful to watch :)
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Fireball » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:16 pm

Wow how exciting actually training in China. It is a lifestyle one can be addicted to. I used to train 7 days a week at home as welll as my lessons & when I was on holidays from Uni I'd go to different branches to do more training every day of the week. Now I look in the mirror oops.

Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby milkyway » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:32 pm

Fireball wrote:Wow how exciting actually training in China. It is a lifestyle one can be addicted to. I used to train 7 days a week at home as welll as my lessons & when I was on holidays from Uni I'd go to different branches to do more training every day of the week. Now I look in the mirror oops.

I was like that with TKD - 5 nights per week, 8:30pm to 10pm every single evening. It was brilliant. You get good really quickly when you do it so much. And then I hurt my ankle (tore three ligaments) which put me out of action for about six weeks :(

I used to be right into karate for a while, too. If I wasn't at actual karate class, I was doing a tae bo or kickboxing class or going for a run - something to complement it.

I just don't have the passion for it anymore. I sometimes wish I did - don't get me wrong, I enjoy it, but I'm just not passionate about it.
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Fireball » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:53 pm

hmmm. I loved it but couldn't afford it at the time. It was Kung Fu or food for the kids. lol I wonder if I will get the passion back although part of it is the realationshisp at the time, in particular the senior instructor who ran the sessions. I absolutely respected him and how he handled having a women in the nearly all male group. Anyway, I will aim to lose a bit of weight, try it out and see how it goes. I have a lot more bits that creak now but Wing Chun is a great martial art for peole who have some, shall I say limitations.... :lol:

Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Return to Just Chatting