It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:52 pm

Free Newsletter

Trouble with sleep

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Trouble with sleep

Postby electrongirl » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:20 pm

Hi all!!

Just need some advice tips etc.

I have been having trouble getting sleep lately.

I got to bed anywhere between 9:30-10pm weeknights. I get up to get ready for work at 6:30am.

Some nights I don't fall asleep until almost midnight. I just lay in bed and cannot either get comfortable or my mind just wont switch off.

Some nights the heat makes it hard, other nights my husband's snoring wakes me up. Some mornings I wake up when his alarm goes off at 4:30am and I can't go back to sleep.

I have gone to the doctor but he gave me Stilnox, which caused me to halucinate!!

Anyone have any good tips for getting a good nights sleep!!

I only have caffeine in 1 drink which is my morning coffee so its not that!!

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Re: Trouble with sleep

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:55 pm

Have you tried earplugs to cut down on the noise of the snoring? I have to wear them all the time with my partner. They're uncomfortable at first, but you get used to them.

Do you have a fan for when it's hot? I find a wet face cloth on my forehead while the fan is on cools me down enough to sleep in many instances. Quickly jumping under the shower to cool down can help too.

You're already going to bed and getting up at regular times, which is important. Some sites I've checked out recommend only going to bed when you're tired, though. If you find you're tossing and turning and not at all sleepy they say you should get up and do something relaxing until you're tired and ready for sleep.

Have you considered getting a meditation tape to help relax before sleep? They may help your brain unwind, which could work wonders since it sounds like it's mostly the stress that's keeping you awake. I find my hypnosis MP3s really good for that. They're not meant to put me to sleep, but the moment they say 'relax' I get a little too relaxed and start dozing!

How much exercise are you getting per day? Exercise is supposed to help regulate sleep. However if you do it too close to bed-time it can keep you awake. A bath before bed can help your body and mind relax so it might be worth trying.

I've heard that a small snack of carbs with a little protein before bed can help too. They work together to boost serotonin levels, which converts to melatonin to help you sleep. Something like a banana and a small glass of milk for instance. As long as it's not putting you over your daily calorie intake it might be worth a shot. However I think this only works if your melatonin is low to start off with. Still, it's worth a try!

As to being woken at 4.30am... the only solution I found to this one is to sleep in the spare room I'm afraid. :|
EvilWombatQueen

Postby electrongirl » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:00 pm

oh those are great tips thank you!!

The one about the spare room wouldn't work cause I can't sleep if hubby isn't in the same bed as me!! And we would be apart 6 nights out of 7!! And that would suck!!

I want to get one of those silent alarms for him that you can put on your arm and they vibrate.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Nikerz82 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:14 am

Stillnox is bad ...Ive heard all sorts of stories bout them. I sufferd bad insomnia with both pregnancies so I totally feel where your coming from, I got so bad Id get up and clean toilets at 3am just coz I was bored and sick of looking at the ceiling. I took an over the counter sleeping aid which was sensational but I cant for the life of me remember what it was. Ill ask my mum tomorrow coz shes taken it and get back to you. This is gonna bother me all night you know, now I wont be able to sleep. god I hate that lol.

Meditation tapes help.

Also try tensing up your body, everything at once, squeeze everything tight, then release and relax it, one body part at a time, toes, then feet, then ankles, then calves ect

get hubby to give you a massage

try a really hot shower just before you get into bed

I also found reading made me tired

hope this helps and Ill let you know that sleeping tablet.
Nikerz82

Postby Fireball » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:38 am

Not that I can give you tips after all I'm up at 4am. :lol:

My husband snored like a chain saw for 28 years we since we were first married. I bought some Snore Eze at the chemist - It is a herbal remedy that you spray under your tongue. I absolutely could not believe that it worked!!!!! His snoring started to improve almost immedialety. Within 3 weeks he had stopped snoring. He continued to use the spray for a few months but hasnt used it now for a few years. I seriously encourage you to try it & Good luck. I hope it helps you as much as me.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby Rustie » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:29 am

I have been the same Nik over the past week or so. My mind just wont give up and thoughts are still buzzing constantly. Sometimes i will finally fall asleep to wake up in a daze wondering wat day it is... Try a guided meditation cd or something like that. It has helped me in the past.

SW: 80kg
CW: 78.5kg
GW: 60kg
Rustie

Postby emmaline » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:35 pm

A glass of warm milk is always an option as it has tryptophan which helps you feel sleepy.
Or there is the natural remedy Valerian.

We use an "Insomnia Spray" by Brauer at home when we can't sleep.
Just a couple of sprays under the tougne and it usually does the trick!
It's all natural and not too expensive because you don't go through it quickly.

Hope you find some relief soon!
emmaline

Postby ali76 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:28 am

I take herbal sleeping tablets....they're different from prescription ones as they help you to relax into a natural sleep but don't FORCE you asleep if that makes sense.

Another great tip I learnt from my Nana is to use lavendar oil. Put a tiny drop on your pressure points - wrist, temples, behind the knees, a little bit on the back of your neck and / or a few drops on your pillow....works a treat!!! Just don't use too much :P
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Return to Just Chatting