It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:41 am

Free Newsletter

Depression

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

Depression

Postby ali76 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:05 pm

Hi everyone,

Not a particularly cheerful thread but I was wondering if anyone out there suffers from diagnosed depression and how they deal with that, medication, as well as trying to lose weight...

Cheers
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Re: Depression

Postby loveat116 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:38 pm

Hi!

I do not suffer with depression, but have used anxiety medication for my BPD. I didn't gain any weight, but the side effects were waaaay worse than the actual anxiety.

So after that ordeal we just decided to pursue with counselling and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy which has probably helped me the most. If anyone suffers from depression or anxiety I highly recomend it. Its more about changing how you view everythin in your life, instead of just popping a pill to help with the pain.

I also helped a lot from support groups, BPD is very unknown, so its really good to talk to other people about it.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby Fiona25 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:54 am

I was diagnosed with depression in August 2005. I have been on medication since. My depression is caused by a chemical imbalance of the brain, not an event as such, though I am much more prone to a re-lapse triggered by an event.

The AD I am on has not caused me to gain weight, at the beginning, I actually lost 2kgs, but I think that was from having more energy and doing more things.

It is a terrible illness to have and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Feel free to PM me for a chat if you ever want to :)
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby NewMe » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:42 am

I have used St John's Wort in the past. It helps to get through the worse times while dealing with why you are depressed in the first place. HTH
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wqW2v1C/]
[/url]
NewMe

Postby ali76 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:47 am

Hi New me :)

I used to use St Johns Wart before my depression got really bad...and until I was told it can interrupt the pill!! That was enough to scare me into going to the doctor and being formally diagnosed and medicated... :cry:

Fiona - my depression is the same and I'm on Celepram. I lost weight at the very beginning because I was so depressed about being diagnosed that I couldn't eat..?! I've put on since then though and wonder if part of that is the medication...not that I'd stop taking it to lose weight!

I might PM you...thank you for the offer :)

xo
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby Rustie » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:24 am

I suffer from depression aswell. Been on pills for a while now. I have my good days and bad days but when im not on them a get so tired and all i want to do is sleep.

SW: 80kg
CW: 78.5kg
GW: 60kg
Rustie

Return to Just Chatting