It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:02 am

Free Newsletter

The morning show... and that stupid Pat Thomas lady

Talk about anything and everything, whether it's related to weight loss or not.

Moderator: Moderators

The morning show... and that stupid Pat Thomas lady

Postby Nikerz82 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:37 am

sorry about this but I just gotta vent ..
I dont know wheather anyone seen this or not but yesterday on the morning show they had this stoopid b!tch named Pat Thomas on the Tv advertising her new book out something about how our enviroment and lifestyle is making us fat, anyway this joker bascially gets up on Tv and says " using excercise alone will not lead you to weightloss" and get this a staggerring 75% of us who loose weight the old fashioned way re; through healthy eating and excercise fail and re-gain our weight back. Lets have a show of hands here how many of us in this forum alone have lost weight the old fashioned way and kept it off. Gosh this annoyed the hell outta me, She was basically giving all those people out there already lacking willpower the answer they wanted to give up. Where the hell does she get off, I think there should be more advertising of loosing weight the healthy way and less advertising of quick fix's hence the milkshake replacement diets which are on every single commercial break. Really how can excercising alone not make you loose weight, look at the Tv show biggest loser, they literally excercise there butt off and loose out standing amounts of weight. It really frustrates me! what a stoopid thing to say... Of course eating healthy and throwing in excercise will make you loose weight, how can it not, but according to her no matter how healthly you eat or excercise you will still end up fat because of the way the enviroment is and the way our lives are now, hence we more stressed, more busy, sleep less, take in toxins from the enviroment ect ect... Looks like were all doomed, we might aswell all hang up our joggers, get bent and eat ourselves into oblivion coz according to this women no matter how good our intentions are, were set up for failure. Is that not the most stpoopid thing you have ever heard? --- what an idiot!
Nikerz82

Re: The morning show... and that stupid Pat Thomas lady

Postby Fiona25 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:51 pm

She's obviously trying to sell something!

If anything, i'm sure statistics out there would prove that a balanced diet and exercise would lose more weight than any fad diet or program.

Its common sense, though unfortunatley common sense isn't common enough :wink:

Nothing wrong with going for WW, shakes etc if you feel you do better but DIY diet and exercise has always worked for me. Sure, i've fluctuated a bit in my time, but thats because I stop what is working, not because my program is no longer working.
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby Nikerz82 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:12 pm

Yeah totally agree shes trying to sell her book. But surely you'd think she would use something concrete as her selling strength. her tactic was saying everything thats been proven is wrong. says her and whos army? I just thought my god your an idiot lady. I wonder how many books she actually sells lol.
I have nothing against WW or meal replacements diets, MRD dont work for me, but WW has in the past, What I was getting at is, you see advertestments for the MRD all the time. Why not just do an add encouraging others by showing the proof of what can be done with such simplicity as eating right and excercisng rather then tempory solutions. But in this Authors case absolute manufactured crap which at the end of the day is all her personal opinion, nothing scientific and nothing proven.
Nikerz82

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:04 pm

I saw the interview and I think I interpretted what she was saying a little differently. I saw her as suggesting a more holistic view of the obesity epidemic, talking about what factors in society contribute to obesity (she did state that most people who diet and exercise put the weight back on which from a certain point of view is correct. If you look at the statistics of yo-yo dieting and don't just look at long term weight loss success stories then the failure rate she suggested is sadly quite correct.) She talked about stress, lack of sleep and chemicals that effect hormones as contributing to our problems with losing weight. I haven't read the book, but even the title 'The 21st Century Is Making Us Fat' does make sense. Long hours, lack of exercise, lack of good sleep, long commutes out of walking distance, convenience foods, and increased portion sizes all contribute to the obesity epidemic, which is what she talked about in her interview. I would want to read the book before criticising her message, or supporting it wholeheartedly for that matter. After all we need to take all of these factors into consideration when looking at lifestyle changes that support weight-loss but to blame them entirely would be as bad as dismissing them without any further examination.

Since many of these factors contribute to why people are overweight I see nothing wrong in factoring them into a solution. Will some people use the book as an excuse for not tackling their weight problems? Most likely. They're the same people who would have previously blamed big bones and bad genes, though. If people want to make excuses they'll find excuses to make with or without some author's help. I would like to think that most people would use it to analyse their lifestyles and see what other factors there could be in their life that could make weight gain easier and weight loss harder. I'm already looking at my recent change in medication to see if that could be contributing to my recent weight loss plateau after seeing her interview.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Nikerz82 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:29 pm

Oh I agree with alot of your points and yes some of hers may well be contributing but Its was the comments I mentioned that got my knickers in a knot. Sometimes I can be very opinionated, its a curse ..I will try and hold myself back in the future tho. :wink:
Nikerz82

Postby hysterical_oliver » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:37 am

The 21st century unfortunately encourages laziness disguised as convenience :D Who knows how much energy I could have actually used by getting off my butt for the past 20 years and changing the channel instead of using the remote lol

Unfortunately people are a product of their environment a lot of the time and living now is so much more convenient we can feasibly do a lot more things in a day therefore stress levels go up and I might go and not cook and have a microwave meal or order pizza etc etc vicious circle.

The bottom line is people still have to make a choice and then a commitment to a healthy lifestyle to keep it off. I won't pigeon hole the yo-yo dieters of the world because I've been there but you have to stick to it as a lifestyle choice as we all know.

I hope her book doesn't act as another tool in the blame game for people's health and it actually helps them instead otherwise society's problems are only going to get worse.
14th September 2007 125kg
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg
hysterical_oliver

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:40 pm

Nikerz82 wrote:Oh I agree with alot of your points and yes some of hers may well be contributing but Its was the comments I mentioned that got my knickers in a knot. Sometimes I can be very opinionated, its a curse ..I will try and hold myself back in the future tho. :wink:

Please don't hold yourself back! I loved reading your comment and I think you had some very, very good points to make. I also agree with Hysterical Oliver in hoping this isn't used as part of the blame game for people to try and justify their continued obesity.

Here's hoping that all the extra information becoming available helps people make more informed choices in their lifestyles to help them lead healthier lives.
EvilWombatQueen

Return to Just Chatting